Petition to ban the use of the word "Toon" when referring to your character

OmenQ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, the only reason i dislike "mob" is because it has two meanings and therefore can be confusing in the heat of a mission... considering it can mean a large group or be short for Mobile... imagine walking with your party in a combat zone there's enemies everywhere, your team leader tells you to "take that mob over there", which mob the large group to the right or the mobile pacing back and forth to the left?, by time you ask s/he's already jumped into a fight and you're left playing catch-up...

I kill mobs with my toons

Hehe, good one :)

lol, the only reason i dislike "mob" is because it has two meanings and therefore can be confusing in the heat of a mission... considering it can mean a large group or be short for Mobile... imagine walking with your party in a combat zone there's enemies everywhere, your team leader tells you to "take that mob over there", which mob the large group to the right or the mobile pacing back and forth to the left?, by time you ask s/he's already jumped into a fight and you're left playing catch-up...

What I'm talking about is mob is plural, yet its used every day to describe a single enemy.

For roaming enemies, the common term is pat, short for patrolling unit.

MMO and internet verbage can be a little annoying sometimes. Someone in the game once thought i was roleplaying because i was using complete sentences.

That's funny.

I don't like "toon" either. But it tells me what kind of player the user of "speaker" is. It helps be separate the wheat from the chaff.

I'd like mob included in this ban as well.

The number of people who use the term incorrectly on a daily basis is absolutely mind boggling, did no one go to school?

What exactly is the correct usage? Most people seem to use it to mean simply "enemy," and pretty much everyone understands that, even those of us who don't use it.

I kill bad guys with my characters.

Edited by branmakmuffin

What exactly is the correct usage? Most people seem to use it to mean simply "enemy," and pretty much everyone understands that, even those of us who don't use it.

I kill bad guys with my characters.

Hey, I'm not a grammar witch or anything remotely like that, its just this particular term rubs me wrong.

Heres some examples: Replace people with person.

See that people over there? please ask him to move.

Ask that people to move her car, It's in the way.

Hey there, you're a nice people.

The last one could be used in that context, but that's not what I mean here for the example.

Hey, I'm not a grammar witch or anything remotely like that, its just this particular term rubs me wrong.

Heres some examples: Replace people with person.

See that people over there? please ask him to move.

"People" is now plural for "person." In fact, "persons" probably sounds pedantic to most persons.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm well aware that language changes and evolves over time, that doesn't make Toon any less stupid sounding... not calling anyone stupid, just saying the term Toon used in this context sounds stupid to me...

i'm not sure why but to me calling a Character a Toon is like dumbing it down... meh, maybe it's a product of our constant dumbing down of society with things like "No Child Left Behind" lowering the bar for everyone...

Newspeak coming soon...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

i'm well aware that language changes and evolves over time, that doesn't make Toon any less stupid sounding... not calling anyone stupid, just saying the term Toon used in this context sounds stupid to me...

i'm not sure why but to me calling a Character a Toon is like dumbing it down... meh, maybe it's a product of our constant dumbing down of society with things like "No Child Left Behind" lowering the bar for everyone...

Newspeak coming soon...

I understand your point but what exactly do you mean when you compare this to " No child left behind" as I don't know what you mean.

I understand your point but what exactly do you mean when you compare this to " No child left behind" as I don't know what you mean.

simple, it's just one of the ways society has been dumbed down by catering to the lowest factor, it's truly a system that hinders the education system as opposed to helping it... it's right there with passing out awards just for showing up... when i was a kid you had to earn your grades, rewards ect. for hard work and study, now you're graded on a curve based on the dumbest person in the entire school, you just have to do as good as the dumbest person... and people wonder why America's so low on the world education scale, it's our own fault as a society for letting it happen...

now when i see a word like Toon, that's a reflection of this dumbing down... why do people use it?.. it's faster, simpler, has only one syllable, and is quicker to type, even though they can just as easily type "Char.", but Char. is indicative of a bigger word and that puts people off who are use to the simpler way to which they have become accustomed...

its a game....that's all people a game. i call it a toon. I'm not "dumbing" anything down, cause it's only a game and people should be able to call it whatever they wish. "Dumbing" things down is not the problem with society, the problem with society is everyone thinks their opinion is better than others and therefor try to push said views. Just let people call it what they like and move on.

i apologize if it seems i'm trying to force my ways on anyone, i am not... i was only stating an opinion i have made from personal observation of society as a whole, it's not a popular opinion as society hates to look into the mirror when there's no humor to soften the blow and i'm quite aware i'm not funny...

you can call it what you like but i still reserve the right to think it sounds stupid and refuse to party with anyone that uses it... it's a children's word that you use with children, i am not a child since well over a decade ago and refuse to be spoken down to as a child... i don't go potty and i don't go nappies, i use the restroom and i sleep... huge difference in tone to the words, one group is patronizing the other is not...

Discussion of NCLB will quickly devolve into forbidden political territory.

you're absolutely correct and i will hold my tongue on that subject henceforth, unless it happens to be the subject...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

... now when i see a word like Toon, that's a reflection of this dumbing down... why do people use it?.. it's faster, simpler, has only one syllable, and is quicker to type, even though they can just as easily type "Char.", but Char. is indicative of a bigger word and that puts people off who are use to the simpler way to which they have become accustomed...

'Char' becomes highly confusing if you play Guild Wars or GW2.

i've never played Guild Wars or GW2, so no idea how that applies...

i'm curious though as to how and when this trend started... i don't recall people ever saying it back when i played MMORPGs a lot, i then took about a 3 or 4 year break and went to one player games only cause i got fed up with all the rampant Player Killing going on in MMORPGs at that period... i then come back to the format and now people call their characters toons and there's a separation of PvE & PvP gear in almost every MMO...

note back when i played a lot i didn't play American MMOs like WoW & EQ, i played Korean & Japanese MMOs, like Ragnarök , MU, and a ton of others i don't remember the names of anymore...