Disable the User Account Control feature (UAC)
The UAC can be annoying, even though it says it is a security feature. However, if you use a firewall and anti-virus (Which you should be doing), this feature will annoy you more than being a help.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an advanced feature. If you are unsure of your system or AV/firewall, please keep this enabled.
To disable UAC:
Turn off unused Win7 Features
- From the Control Panel open the User Accounts and Family Safety > User Account.
- Click the*User*Account*Control settings link.
- Now just Drag the Slider towards Never Notify.
- Click OK and Reboot your system.
There are some features in win 7 that we usually do not use. Disabling these can help to speed win7 up.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an advanced feature. Only peform this part of the guide if you are confident in what you are doing.
Open up Programs and Features
from Control Panel.
Click the Turn Windows features on or off
from the left pane.
Now uncheck all the Feature that you dont use in Windows 7 and restart the system for the changes to take effect.
As a guide to which options to check/uncheck, the following are what I have checked. Everything else is unchecked.
You can check/uncheck what you like, but my previous warnings apply.
Disable the sidebar/Gadgets
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
- Remote Differential Compression
- Windows Search
Windows Sidebar actually takes up a good chunk of resources and increases your system boot time. I always disable this on any installation I have as I find this feature completely unnecessary.
To disable Sidebar/Gadgets
- Right click on the sidebar and select Properties .
- On the properties windows, untick the check box showing Start sidebar when Windows Starts
Reboot your system and sidebar will no longer start up.