View Single Post

renegadeimp
12.13.2011 , 07:35 AM | #3
Disable the User Account Control feature (UAC)

The UAC can be annoying, even though it says it is a security feature. However, if you use a firewall and anti-virus (Which you should be doing), this feature will annoy you more than being a help.

PLEASE NOTE: This is an advanced feature. If you are unsure of your system or AV/firewall, please keep this enabled.

To disable UAC:
  • From the Control Panel open the ” User Accounts and Family Safety ” > User Account.
  • Click the*User*Account*Control settings link.
  • Now just Drag the Slider towards “Never Notify”.
  • Click “OK” and Reboot your system.

Turn off unused Win7 Features

There are some features in win 7 that we usually do not use. Disabling these can help to speed win7 up.

PLEASE NOTE: This is an advanced feature. Only peform this part of the guide if you are confident in what you are doing.

Open up ” Programs and Features ” from Control Panel.
Click the ” Turn Windows features on or off ” from the left pane.
Now uncheck all the Feature that you don’t use in Windows 7 and restart the system for the changes to take effect.

As a guide to which options to check/uncheck, the following are what I have checked. Everything else is unchecked.
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
  • Remote Differential Compression
  • Windows Search

You can check/uncheck what you like, but my previous warnings apply.

Disable the sidebar/Gadgets

Windows Sidebar actually takes up a good chunk of resources and increases your system boot time. I always disable this on any installation I have as I find this feature completely unnecessary.

To disable Sidebar/Gadgets
  • Right click on the sidebar and select ” Properties “.
  • On the properties windows, untick the check box showing ” Start sidebar when Windows Starts “
Reboot your system and sidebar will no longer start up.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.