View Single Post

insaneric
07.05.2013 , 10:32 AM | #7
Hi all, I'm Fuyri, I built the spreadsheet with the input and feedback from Tigg. And would just like to go over a bit of the thought process regarding the thought process behind the skipping system.

First off we didn't want to discourage any guilds from participating by banning skipping. I know DnT are the big figurehead guild for skipping, but i'm also fairly sure some others did it too and just didn't say or didn't even participate fearing a negative reaction from the community. There's only several hundred people competing in these progression races and the more taking part the better.

Once agreeing to enable skipping we needed to create a system where they could still receive points and stay competitive without breaking everyone else's score. We came up with a couple of ideas that when working in conjunction created a score balance that was where we wanted it to be.

1. Setting the time difference timer to not trigger until a linear clearing guild kills the boss allows the spreadsheet to fairly reflect other linear clearing guilds with relation to the first one. This would also allow linear clearing guilds to not be set massively behind (score wise) the skipping guilds on the later bosses.

2. A linear clear bonus as extra points towards those guilds that clear the bosses in a linear fashion. This ensured that while skipping is both allowed and will give you a high rating spot it is incredibly hard to hold the number 1 spot or beat any guilds that clear within a few days of that top guild.

I would like to encourage guilds to avoid skipping, even if you didn't last time. And if you do choose to skip please stay on the boss for a good 5+ hours, you cannot get a feel for a top level difficulty fight off a handful off pulls.

Quote: Originally Posted by Carlenux View Post
i know linear add more "points", but i think ( for me) the points worth nothing, i mean its fine for overall guild ranking, but, people like their world 1st / 2nd / 3rd...
This is what we're trying to fix by creating a better system to allow points to be meaningful. Regardless of what's done, it's going to be World 1st on the hardest boss (or timed run) that will be most prestigious.
Quote: Originally Posted by Carlenux View Post
then there's this other guild that claims "world first kill" and confuse people, because there wasnt a clear rule that said if it was right or wrong to skip
If we ban skipping they'll still be guilds that may "claim" the world first after skipping on their own as this is not official it's just a community tracking system. This way I think we'll stay roughly united.

I'll be paying attention to the thread if anyone has any questions and also will be at the vent meeting.

I'm also trying to stay impartial (I imagine Tigg is too) so this spreadsheet is what I/we feel is the best balance for what different members of the community with differing opinions want, not how Suckafish or I think guilds should clear or how it should be setup.
Darkness Tank Assassin Madness DPS
The Fuyri Legacy