The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

A belated welcome, Lady-Jean :)

Everyone else, I sincerely enjoyed all the pieces in the past week. :)

Prompt: NotLP - Mea Culpa, As Time Goes By, Canned Responce

Class: Smuggler (Audra)

Words: 1000ish

No spoilers. Let's say it takes place on Belsavis though and is after Audra has healed again.

Audra motions to the bar tender for two more drinks and moves down the booth to make room for Corso on the end.

'Riggs, my boy!' Audra shouts over the music as soon as Corso is in reasonable ear shot. 'Just ordered you a drink. I thought after a day of drinking only kolto you might want something a little stronger.'

Corso takes the seat next to her that she had patted invitingly with a curious wariness. Corso shakes his head and gives her a reprimanding frown.

'I told you not call me that, Captain.'

'Sorry, Daddy's boy.' Audra presses her lips to Corso cheek in a firm and apologetic kiss.

'I'm not-' Corso doesn't finish because a scantily clad waitress comes and puts their drinks down on the booths rather high table. Corso regards her with a sort of repulsion, pity and then innocent confusion before turning his eyes back to Audra with a shake of his head.

'You know, I used to be a waitress once,' she informs him with a sly smile. She holds her drink up and swivels it, watching the liquid churn.

'Really, Captain?'

She laughs at the farm boy's curiosity, incredulity and the rebuke in his voice. He makes her laugh a lot. She feels like in the past weeks, she hasn't done much of that either.

'Yeah, in a place a lot fancier than this,' she vaguely comments as she lifts her finger and turns it to gesture at the dried blood on the booth's ceiling and the poor quality of the upholstery. Audra leans in to him secretively and whispers 'more money to take from men's pockets.'

Corso looks at her with that reproachful look he gave the waitress only twice as hard.

'Hey! They got to see me in something a lot less classy than what she,' Audra points to the waitress that served them that is now getting chat up by some soldiers, 'is wearing. Only fair they pay for the view,' she defends with raised hands. 'Art museums aren't free, you know,' she ends with a crafty wink.

'Actually, Captain, they are,' Corso corrects with a tight and prudent frown.

She shrugs and waves it away. She doesn't speak for a long time and that's because she's trying to contain the anger of long ago.

'Slaves aren't free and slaves don't get paid,' she says in a low voice. Her Imperial accent is back and she can only struggle with herself to wipe it away. 'They are the art that hangs on the walls or stand on pedestals for any creditless bum to gawk at and touch. There is nothing wrong in taking what you deserve.'

'I'm sorry, Captain, I didn't know,' Corso helplessly defends.

Audra tries to smile but it only flutters there for a moment like a flag caught in a weak breeze.

'Ancient history that doesn't matter. We're young and free now so why don't we drink to it.'

Audra takes the shot like someone that grew up drinking them instead of breast milk. She gestures to the waitress for another as Corso takes his warily. His nose scrunches and becomes a little lob sided because of it. She doesn't notice his other hand that is balled into a tight fist.

Audra smiles deviously at him and moves closer, sitting straight so she can put her arm around his broad shoulders in exaggerated affability.

'So come on, Corso, how are you feeling?' she urges.

She has to force a smile. She doesn't want him to see her concern because she doesn't want to acknowledge it.

'Well, I'm glad to be back in action, Captain.'

Corso smiles down at her and moves and arm around her waist. Audra's skin tingles where he touches her bare waist. She feels her cheeks burn like an adolescent school girl and scolds herself for it. She moves her uncomfortable hand from Corso's shoulder to somewhere on his thigh. She mentally slaps herself. She's been around the galaxy far too many times to be acting like this.

'For the record,' Aurdra begins before she swallows, clears her throat and coughs despite none of the actions really needing to be done. She glances up at him and sees the attentive look in his eyes, the creased brow in concern and the small smile that says 'I'm happy to be sitting back here with you: it's all I need'. She feels his arm tighten around her.

'For the record,' she begins again, 'I'm sorry about that whole, you know,' she waves her hand vaguely, 'thing.'

Audra looks away from Corso and shifts awkwardly. She isn't good at apologies and generally avoids them but Corso having to spend a day in a kolto tank because she was curious to see what was in a security chest needs an apology even by her standards.

Audra daintily coughs again and Corso chuckles. Strangely, she's got a lot of pride and being laughed at by the farm boy only makes her push him away and move out of his arm.

'Anyway, what was in that chest was worth more than your stinking life. Credits, a new blaster...' she trails off and sighs with exaggerated ecstasy.

'And the medicine for the orphans,' Corso ends with a large goofy - yet victorious - grin.

'Whatever makes you not hate me for it,' she replies with a shrug of indifference she doesn't feel.

She remembers watching the shot hit his chest; she remembers watching him fall. Something in that moment made her realise how deep she was in. Something in that moment made her realise her heart would break again if he didn't get up. She isn't ready for those feelings. She isn't ready for this again or to lose anyone again.

Corso takes her hand in his and she feels the old calluses of years in a field before a blaster replaced a pitchfork.

'I could never hate you, Captain.'

Audra slips her hand out of his and points her other hands finger at him, her hand waving the now empty glass at him. 'I'm going to hold you to that, farm boy.'

'I wouldn't want you to do otherwise,' Corso assures her with a gentle smile.

'Well, why don't we go back to the ship and test how healed you are?'

'You read my mind, Captain,' Corso agrees.

Prompt: NotLP - Anniversaries

Words: 1000ish

No spoilers. Set on Voss shortly after landing.

'Six years today, Riggs my boy!'

Corso looks at her with reproach. She knows he hates it when she says that but she seems more chipper today after weeks of strange distance where her touch seemed like that of a woman with a terminal illness checking that they could still touch and wasn't quite gone yet. But there's still something sad in her smile and lively, watching eyes. It reminds Corso of the fields back on Ord Mantell: the fields that on a clear, sunny morning were sometimes still damp from the nights downpour as the newly risen sun was not yet hot enough to burn away the dew.

'Six years since what, Captain?' Corso asks when she only begins to whistle the tune from last night's cantina.

The breeze that blows golden and red leaves around them takes up the tune and carries it away. She continues to whistle as she twirls Flashy in her right hand and walks on up the hill. Corso can make out the limp in her walk where the muscles didn't heal right. It could be worse, reminds himself.

Corso almost thinks that she has forgotten he asked anything when she answers him.

'Since my husband died, naturally,' she matter-of-factly informs him.

She hasn't mentioned their conversation from that night six months ago until now. Sometimes, she will watch him with a hostile wariness of a trapped animal or confliction in her eyes before kissing him. She still loves her husband and it's a fact he hasn't managed to untangle his feelings over. He's only had six months to and it isn't long enough; he can understand why it's taking her so long.

Audra casually jumps to catch a fluttering leaf above her in her free hand, slightly stumbling on the land. She looks at it closely as if reading her history in its wrinkled, red veins.

'Six years since he died,' she answers in a detached and confused voice as if there's something uncertain in the past or she can't quite read the message on the leaf. 'Seven and half since we married and almost eight since we met.'

'That was a quick courtship,' Corso frigidly replies before he can stop himself.

'And an even shorter business relationship,' she affirms with a mischievous grin down at the leaf. It makes her seem like her old self for the first time that day. 'I was meant to be his co-pilot and general handyman. Within a week I spent more time with my hands on him than any part of that ship.'

She shrugs her slim shoulders and then looks to Corso for the first time from over her shoulder. Her fringe catches in her eyelashes and she gives it an upward, impatient blow from those soft, pink kissable lips. Those lips twist into a teasing smirk and she turns around a little more to him and she playfully points her blaster at him.

'Don't look so nauseous, farm boy. We only slept in your room a few dozen times.'

Audra laughs at Corso as he pales further but inside he feels the kick of anger at the woman he's been sharing a bed with for seven months. She looks away before she can see what is the closest thing to a glare Corso's ever achieved when looking at someone that isn't a separatist or Imperial, let alone his Captain.

Audra looks to the orange hills around them and then to the clear sky above them that is framed by a few trees. The shadows of the trees play across her face and Corso sees something serious and resolute in her eyes that softens his look and calms his petty anger. It was long before she met you, he reminds himself. She's only teasin'.

'It's been one year and eight months since we met, hasn't it... Corso?' She hesitates before saying his name. She says it with such sweet uncertainty that it takes everything he has to not make the mistake of pulling her into his arms and telling her that he loves her.

'One year, eight months and twenty six days, Audra.'

Something curious plays across her face at the sound of her name. It sounds perfect to her, like he was never meant to say anything else.

'You've been keeping count.'

She smiles so sweetly to the sky. He desperately wants her to turn that smile to him.

'Of course, Captain. I'll never forget the day I walked into that hanger and saw you standin' there.'

She grins and looks to Corso over her shoulder again. She looks so beautifully tragic on the top of that hill, alone and smiling yet so sad. The wind tries to take her hair from its pony tail but when it realises the futility of it, it instead whips it around her head like a snake ready to strike.

'And I won't forget the way you forgot to even say hello,' she teases.

She laughs and it takes any bite to his pride away. Corso smiles back and takes a small step into that lonely portrait of her on the hill.

'You just have that kind of effect on people, darlin'. After all, I'd never seen a lady as beautiful as you before.'

'And I'm still only 'Captain' most of the time,' Audra retorts.

'Nah, you're my Captain, Audra, all of the time.'

She laughs again and looks back to the horizon. Eventually, when Corso begins to feel a restlessness stir in him again, she speaks. The abstracted frown plays on her lips again.

'Six years is long enough, isn't it? I can move on now, can't I?'

Corso opens his mouth to say something but he can't say anything. He doesn't quite regret it later but he does feel a pang of guilt in not telling her that you can never move on from true love. Would he of lost her forever if he had told her? Maybe it's best for her that she does move on. He knows he can make her happy if she gives him that chance.

In the end, it doesn't matter: the moment passes before Corso can even begin to sift through his thoughts enough to answer anything at all. Audra gently throws the leaf back into the air and the wind picks it up again as if on call to her whims. She watches it a moment until it is lost from sight and then begins to walk the gradual decline of the orange hill. Corso quickly catches up to her, matching her cautious, slightly limping stride.

'Aren't you supposed to hold the hand of the woman your courting?' Audra deviously teases.

Corso nods and smiles down at her as he takes her hand in his for the first time without the knowledge she will not slip hers out.

'Now, how do you think the Voss would feel if we go over to that shrine and...'

And now, the actual prompt of the week! (I rushed a little so I could make it on time XD )

Prompt: Animal Kingdom

Words: Almost 5000 (longish I know)

No spoilers really. Set on Voss in the Nightmare lands.

I'll put a mild warning on this of just general adult themes eg. sexual references, violence and disturbing themes. Only mild though :)

'Is it clear yet, Captain?'

Audra peers out into the murky darkness of the Nightmare lands at dawn. They haven't heard the groans or shrieks of the tormented creatures that live here for an hour or more. She can't see any movement beyond half formed ghosts of purple hews. She listens as best she can but it only makes the hallucinations worse. It was a long night here and their protection isn't very strong.

'I thinks so, Riggsie. Stay and wait for my signal.'

Audra carefully leaves the inky darkness of the cave they're crouched in. She keeps low and heads for the bushes in a limping but agile crouch. She knows they are across the cave despite not being able to clearly see them. She needs to get a clearer look around them. She searches around and can't make anything out. My inferred binoculars would be great right about now, Audra thinks with a scowl.

Aurda slowly moves her arms up from her sides. Her eyes never leave their 180 search. She lowers them in a swift movement.

Corso sees the silhouette of her signal and leaves the small cavity. He can't keep as low as his Captain in his armour but he tries. Corso's armour is covered in mud to hide the shine and bright orange. It may blend with the rest of Voss but here in the gloom of the Nightmare lands, his dark clad Captain has the upper hand. However, a spot on his back has been wiped away and there are red eyes in the dark watching the vivid, lively orange.

The mud squelches painfully under his boots and the on edge smuggler winces at every sound. Corso keeps his eyes on her and his ears everywhere else. Corso hears the same sound he's been hearing all night: the sound of his family dying at the hands of the Separatists that he heard while he lay in half consciousness without a blaster and without a hope of doing anything.

Corso stumbles and Audra turns to scowl at him. But she never gets to finish it. In that instant of weakness, a crysfang runs across the clearing for Corso. Corso's armour dints and splits under the weight of the creature as it knocks him to the ground. His head smashes into the hard tangles of roots that hide under a thin layer of stinking mud. Before its teeth can work away at his armour to reach the flesh underneath, Audra lets loose bolts into its open, vulnerable mouth. The crysfang snarls and turns to her, coughing at the blood that trickles into its lungs.

Audra remains calm and lets it get close enough for her shot to not miss again. She lets one charged bolt go and it hits the creature dead in the eye. She watches with satisfaction as it falls to the ground.

It's only then that Audra's hands shake. She'll insist later that she didn't run to Corso but she stumbled and fell on him in what was meant to be a run. Audra slaps him with a shaking hand and feels the sting on her palm. Corso's tanned cheek quickly reddens and he winces and turns away.

'Riggs my boy, get the bloody hell up,' Audra instructs with a worried and trembling jaw.

'Captain,' Corso mumbles. His eyes flutter but don't open. Audra scans over Corso's body but doesn't see anything fatal.

'Damn *********** straight it is,' Audra distractedly mumbles as she moves her hand the back of his head and feels the large lump there that is swelling quickly.

'You slapped me,' Corso indignantly mutters.

'Damn straight,' Audra affirms. Audra begins to pointlessly search both their pockets for anything that might help but they lost their supplies before night fell.

Corso's eyes flutter open for a second but close again.

'Come on, Riggs my boy. Don't go to sleep now,' she scolds.

'I told you not to call me that, sweetheart.'

'If you get up now farm boy, I might stop,' Audra goads with a forced smile that promises something wonderful will soon happen and to miss it will mean making your life that little bit emptier.

'Alright, Captain, no need to nag.' Corso opens his eyes a little more to see the smile fade and tries to sit up. Audra holds his back to stop him falling back.

'Come on, Riggsie, you're half way there,' she urges. Her shots will have drawn any nearby creatures and that is attention they can't deal with.

Corso slowly stands and uses Audra as a crutch. Because a crooked one is better than none, she thinks with self directed mockery.

'Come on, Riggs, you're doing fine,' Audra calms and encourages as she activates the stealth field. 'Now just take a step. One step at a time, remember?'

Corso takes a step and Audra feels the pressure the outside world is forcing on her. Her crew can't reach them here even if she could reach them on the comm and she can't carry Corso. She can't leave him for the shaclaws either. She can't do anything but help him take a few more steps.

They walk slowly. The concussion drags on Corso and Audra looks for the light of orange on the horizon. It doesn't come and an hour passes. The darkness begins to lighten and she knows she can only keep them hidden for so long. Her stealth generator can only last so long and her back is aching under the strain of Corso's body.

'Come on, Corso,' she urges after a stumble that they both caused. 'What did you say to me? Don't go to sleep. I need you to do the same only walking at the same time.'

'Captain,' Corso mumbles.

'That's my title now stop wearing it out.' Audra shifts Corso's arm into a better position and straightens her back with difficulty. 'Come on, why don't I tell you a story to keep you awake? I'll label it 'The Chronicles of a Smuggler'. Not the best title but I'll work on it. Don't worry, there's plenty of intrigue so you won't be bored.'

Corso's step becomes a little firmer but his head is heavy and clouded.

'You know, Corso, I've been wanting to tell you some things for a while and since we might die in this place, I figure now might as well be a good time as any. I've tried to tell you sober and pissed but neither have worked. Might have saved me some time if I knew it just took you being concussed.'

'That isn't funny, Captain,' Corso murmurs.

'It's very funny, actually. Now shhh, your Captain's trying to speak. You focus on your walking.' Audra clears her throat dramatically and begins.

'Remember how I told you after you heard me talking to Risha that I was looking for an old friend? Well, that wasn't quite true. I asked her to check out myself. My memories of before Dromund Kaas are hazy and for a eight year old and that isn't exactly healthy. I was on all those planets on my ID's at some point but I don't really remember a single one. I wouldn't be surprised if... but it doesn't matter. I don't think I would want to remember what I was used for. And I'm only confusing you.'

Audra chuckles quietly. She tries to keep her voice low enough for the any nearby animals to not hear them.

'You know, I was ready to stab you with that knife I was polishing for eavesdropping. I was furious with you, farm boy. But you're so damn cute I couldn't even glare at you for long. Guess it's because I kind of like you.'

Corso wants to grin at the words that come to him from across the fog in his mind but he can't.

'I was a slave as I've told you. Guess I should start with how I got there though. My memories are hazy as I said but I know I was somewhere with a bright sun and green trees. My mother was in with an Imperial. She agreed to go to Dromund Kaas with him. I was eight. As soon as we landed, the Imperial sold me to the Foreman at the Kaas city spaceport. Haven't you ever wondered why I know so much about Imperial tactics and ships?' She asks with the shadow of light laughter. 'It isn't luck that gets us out of those space missions alive.'

Audra's fingers dig into Corso's armoured shoulder and her hand clenches into a fist. I had a slave collar on while my 'mother' said her goodbye to me. 'I'm sorry,' she said. 'But this is for the Republic'.' Audra's accent is there and it's full of bitterness. 'You said once it's hard to tell if something is worth one person's life. Whatever good she attempted to do was not enough to outweigh the life of a little girl. And any little girl's life is worth more than 100 credits.'

Audra slips into silence so she can reign in her trembling voice. Eventually, she shrugs and it wakes Corso out of the deeper daze he was slipping into. There was darkness in the daze but the pale shadow of a little darkhaired girl crying alone there emerged and dissipated from the dark with other visions.

'I guess you'd look at me horrified right about now but it was that bad. For the ten years I worked there I didn't see my mother but I was content enough and it was better than blurr.'

Coros wants to say something to her. Anything really. He hasn't worked his way out of the daze enough to figure out what but he knows he wants to say whatever it is.

Audra makes them pause and scans the horizon, checking they're on course. There aren't many creatures around here and that can either mean they're close to getting out or something really bad. Either way, they can only keep moving. Once they're out of this dank pit they can call Lokir. Just one more step at a time. The motto of her life: 'one more night at a time'.

'You know, I wasn't that lonely there either. There was this old man: big, fat, neat dark hair that was clearly dyed, cheeks that were far too pink and ears that heard everything. He was kind of my friend. At the end of each night from the first night I got there, he would tell me all kinds of stories he'd picked up from Captain's. I didn't understand most of them but the one's I now remember from those early ages would make your prudent back shiver, Corso.'

Audra laughs again in the way that makes you feel that nothing funnier than that moment will ever happen again and as soon as it ends, it makes you long for a moment ago.

'Eventually we became a little bit of a team. I would steal holo camera recordings from the ships that I was sent to repair and Liz would sift through for any dirt for future blackmailing. I never saw any of the money though but I enjoyed the ride. I never thought it would really end. Amazing how even slavery can't always take away naivety.'

She can't help but let that hang. She was a foolish girl even then but when she learnt, she learnt it crudely and well.

'Liz looked out for me in so many ways and never really asked for anything in return. Honestly, I think he was lonely. I remember he mentioned a woman once but who knows?' Audra shrugs again and keeps her eyes alertly looking for realities amongst the illusions in the dark.

'Liz would buy me things like holobooks and what not. I can tell you the Empire's entire history, you know? The Empire has a very small range that its citizens can read,' she sardonically informs her stumbling, heavy companion. Her leg is beginning to ache and her limp is worsening.

'He would also give me my clothes when I had a delayed growth spurt. It hid everything for a while from the other workers. He was a good man, you know, no matter how Imperial. Those years could have been spent a lot worse and all that knowledge set me up for a life bigger than Nar Shaddaa's Red Light Sector.'

Corso wants to tell her he's sorry for what happened. He can grasp that much now. He wants to tell her he loves her and more than anything, he wants the story to end there. He doesn't want the bad he knows she is about to tell of to ever of happened. He wishes he could clean her past but he can't. He can only make her present and future happier and he knows he can do that much. All he has to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other.

'But one day I was working in a ships engine room. Another of the workmen - a randy bastard - approached me. When we got off the ship,' Audra pauses to laugh at the memory, 'Liz asked why the man wasn't walking straight. I just smiled sweetly to Liz and said 'I don't know how, but he just tripped and feel on a screwdriver which unfortunately hit him in the...'

Audra gives Corso a sly teasing glare from the corner of her eye. He can't see it but he faintly knows it's there and has enough memories of it to replace that moments reality.

'I wasn't much of a lady even then, Corso, but god, how Liz tried not to laugh. Maybe if he'd tried a little harder, the bastard wouldn't have started screaming and the Imperial manager wouldn't have come down. That Imperial outranked Liz. Liz tried to reason with him but you know Imperials. Well, maybe you really don't but... I was sold to the cantina in Kaas Square,' she ends as if that was the final note on the character of Imperials.

Audra's heart hammers at the thought of that place. She can't say that it wasn't that bad. She can't say that there was a Liz to keep her company and to listen too. She always seemed to be listening to the dreams of other men through her whole life and suddenly in that gloom of the Nightmare Lands she realises that not once has she ever dreamt of something for herself or made a fantasy of her future to chase. The weight of it presses on her and it takes her an hour of slow walking to resume her story.

'I was more than a waitress, Corso. I fought for a while but it only took me a few struggles to realise that electrocution isn't that fun. I was the only slave there. Slaves don't get to choose. They don't get to say no.' Audra takes in a shaky breath.

'Keep your cool.'

She releases the breath. 'But I was only there for a year and two months. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for that.'

Corso wants to tell her something of comfort but he can only move one foot at time. He wants to move a hand to feel the swelling that's already almost full peak on the back of his head. He wants to see the light at the end of this darkness.

'Don't fret, Riggs my boy, it gets better from here. There was this Chiss, you see. Silverish which was kind of close to a human pale, tall for a Chiss, one black eye. I guess I should clarify that a little. When I say black eye I mean his entire eyeball was black. Handsome Imperial features, lean body, cold stare and smooth lips. You get the idea. Well, you might be getting the wrong idea. Anyway, just keep listening, Corso. And walking. And not falling asleep,' Audra lists with a small smile.

God, I hope we're close now, she wishes. Audra doesn't know how much longer she can stave of exhaustion from a restless night, hunger and carrying Corso and he has it even worse than her. Her leg is cramping up though and bending it is becoming almost impossible. Now, the story is just as much to distract her from their situation than it is to distract Corso.

'He would play the piano at the empty hours of the morning. It was beautiful to listen to, Corso. Each note kind of called out to your soul and searched it as if they were trying to find the right one.'

Audra pauses for a moment and is lost in the notes as if she can hear them now. 'Huh, listen to me getting all poetic on you. You're making me soft, farm boy,' Audra teases. 'Or maybe it's Lokir's influence,' she further taunts.

'Anyway,' Audra quickly continues as if Corso had the capability to disagree or protest. 'He wasn't there from the beginning. Hodge grumbled all night when he first appeared about twelve months into my stay. Another of the girls told me that he was the man that freed the slave girl that I replaced. Apparently she was a favourite of Hodge's. Red hair, massive ***, pale face. Definitely not your type, farm boy. I've often wondered what your fiancé looked like by the way. Maybe if we get through this, you can relieve my curiosity.' She tries to playfully nudge Corso but it fails and causes them both to stumble.

'I imagine strawberry blonde hair waving like a crown on a slender, soft form. Her skin would be the colour of raw corn from the warm Ord Mantell sun. She would have gentle eyes and touch, with a shy encouraging smile. Delicate. Well mannered but strong and able to tolerate the sometimes harsh life of farming. No good with a blaster but she would always know what to say to calm someone. Tell me later if I'm right because I think I left my story two thirds of the way through and an unfinished story is like an unfished night in the sack.'

Audra tries to ignore any sting of jealousy that comes with the image of the woman from Corso's past. If she ever spared a thought for the future, she might wonder if she could ever work the farm and have kids or whether she'd stick with this life. But she never has even now and will most likely carry on as she always has: only ever taking the opportunities where they are and being carried thoughtlessly through the galaxy.

'So the Chiss took her out back and let her go free. I guess you might wonder why the owner didn't just, you know, make sure the Chiss never came back. He was a Moff's son and you know how power rules in the Empire. Rumours had it that the Chiss was training with Intelligence but I don't know and in the end, what the frack does it matter?'

Audra speaks distantly as if she is back in the dark cantina watching the mysterious man from a distance and listening to the melancholy notes he played.

'There were other rumours. He disappeared for four months and they say he was around the Red Light Sector on Nar Shaddaa and his father beat him when they finally brought him back but... a talkative soldier told me one day that the Chiss had come home in an unmarked, unknown starship. All I know is that when he looked at you, his eyes would dissect your body first and then your soul and by the end, you would be scrubbing yourself clean for hours.'

Audra glances at Corso whose eyes are directed with unfocused attention to the ground.

'I guess if you can hear me, Corso, you're wondering why this Chiss is so important. I told you a Chiss suggested that I have a change of scenery but, well, it wasn't quite like that. He asked me to sit next to him one night. It was surprising really but he had this smile that could make your heart melt and make you do anything. I sat there looking at those red keys on the piano waiting for him to start. Sadistic is what he seemed to me and they were the worst kind. But just when the taunting images of what was to come began to form, he over rode my slave collar and handed me his blaster. I won't forget that smile or his words: 'let's see what happens, shall we?''

Audra pauses again as they skirt around a young vorantiki. Even when it is far behind them, she still doesn't speak for a long while.

'I lied to you when I said I didn't kill anyone, Corso,' Audra eventually resumes. 'I killed nine men in my flight from that place. When I got to the space port, Liz gave me a spare barge and said he'd take care of everything. He also gave me six hundred credits. Not all Imperials are bad, you know, Corso, and maybe not all Separatists are either.'

Audra doesn't say anymore. There isn't much else to tell. Only months of drifting before her employment under her husband. She keeps her watch and skirts them around herds of crysfangs. Not long after, she sees the light ahead and tries to make Corso walk that much faster. They both can't and she is forced to settle for their slow gait.

When they break free, they are still a days walk at a normal pace from the nearest settlement. Ruins of a temple are nearby and she promises Corso in hushed, assuring voice that it is only a little bit farther. They begin to cross the plain but as they draw closer, Audra can see shaclaws crawling through the gaps in the pillars.

'Corso, I need you to not be a farm boy for a few minutes but a very much awake and very much alive man. I'm going to leave you in the bushes five metres off to our right and I need you to stay awake. I'm going to call Lokir and then I'm going to clear those ruins so we can have some protection. Think you're man enough for it?'

'You know I'm a man, Captain,' Corso whispers faintly. He feels a little better, knowing they are that much closer to salvation.

'Prove it,' Audra taunts as takes Corso to the bushes. She hides him in them at the same time her stealth field generator fails. She hesitates and then takes out her comm.

'Lokir? Lokir, are you there?'

'Yes, Audra,' his calm voice replies through static. 'Is there a problem?'

'You could say that. We ran into trouble. We're at an abandoned shrine and Corso needs medical assistance immediately.'

'And yourself? You have not sustained damage, I hope.'

'No, sugar, I'm fine. I'll send you my coordinates. Hurry.'

Audra sends them and returns her comm to her only pocket that's been left intact. It will take an hour to get here. She regards Corso and sighs.

'Now I'll be back in a moment.'

Audra begins her sneak up the hill that looks over the shrine at a slow and painful crouch. It felt wrong to leave Corso there but there wasn't a choice. She lies on her stomach and takes the rifle off her back. Her hands shake the gun and she can't aim it.

'Keep your cool, Audra my girl. Always hold it together and you'll make it through anything with a pocket of credits and a head on your shoulders,' she remembers Liz telling her. She's done that so far. She can do it a little longer.

Audra takes a deep breath and steadies her hands. She takes aim on the first and hits it through the eye. She snipers all the shaclaws that infest the temple but she doesn't hear the one behind her. The blade like leg goes through her armour and into her left shoulder like a vibroknife through butter. It slices through part of her bone and digs into the ground under her. When she feels the leg leave her shoulder, her scream flows out with her blood.

'Keep your cool.'

Audra clamps her mouth shut and rolls to her side to dodge a second attack and takes out her blade with her right hand. She drives it up into the soft green belly above her and uses all her force to push the creature to the side as she carves the knife up through its stomach.

As it tries to stagger to a stand she pull her blaster and blasts wildly. It takes the hits and turns on its back. Its legs flail in the air before curving over. Audra tears the strap off her sniper and winds it around the wound to slow the bleeding. It's temporary and ineffective but all supplies were destroyed in the Nightmare lands.

Audra uses the sniper to help her stand. She stumbles down the hill and all she can think is Corso, Corso, Corso, Corso. Audra reaches the red bushes and brushes them aside. His breathing is laboured but deep as he sleeps.

'Come on, farm boy. Time to wake up.'

Audra steps on Corso's foot and slaps his face again but more gently and controlled. Corso opens his eyes entirely for the first time but there gaze is unfocused. She kneels down and offers him support. He stands to his feet with more steady footing than he has shown for the past three hours.

'Come on. One step at a time.' For both of us, she thinks. They take a few steps before Audra laughs through her pain. 'I gave you one task to do as a man and you couldn't even do it. You're gonna have to work extra hard later to prove to me you are.'

Corso can't reply yet but the joke eases him as much as it annoys him. He hasn't noticed her shoulder or the blood it's leaving on his arm. His weight presses on it, shifting and breaking what's already cut.

When they reach the shrine remains, she rests Corso down and sits next to him. She takes his hand as he drifts into sleep. Her eyes water and run but she doesn't scream or whimper from the pain and she refuses to bow to sleep. She needs to keep watch. She's only ever been good at five things: getting credits, surviving, f**********, gambling and protecting others. She can do this. She can keep her eyes open a little longer. She can keep him safe a little longer. She can hold on a little longer.

'Keep your cool, Audra my girl... you'll make it through anything.'

When she sees the emergency transport arrive, she keeps her eyes open and her blaster at the ready until she sees Corso on the transport. Only then does she close her eyes and allow herself to be taken away.

Edited by EverSteam

So much to read! I'll have to catch up this evening...

Week of 6/28/2013

Gifts - Gifts serve a multitude of functions, from hospitality, diplomacy, housewarming, affection, celebration, to manipulation or poison. They can be big or small, expensive or free, expected or surprising, public or private. Write about a gift your character has given or received.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Rites of Passage - There are tons of different rites of passage our characters go through. Some are common across cultures, like weddings. Some are specific to a culture, like coming-of-age ceremonies. And sometimes they are just an internal realization that your life has changed. Feel free to take this in any direction you would like.

@ sthrift: Thanks, glad you're enjoying them! Your little BH story had me grinning ear to ear. Always wondered about where that flamethrower pointed. :)

@ Stringes: Awwww, toothy! :( It was a very sweet story. Excellent writing.

@ EverSteam: Thanks for the welcome. I love your Smuggler, she's got just the right balance of strength and charm. :)

Madecka the Kid #9

Abt 1500 in 2 hours

SPOILERS: Jedi Knight Prologue

Gifts - Gifts serve a multitude of functions, from hospitality, diplomacy, housewarming, affection, celebration, to manipulation or poison. They can be big or small, expensive or free, expected or surprising, public or private. Write about a gift your character has given or received.

Maldecka huffed, glaring at the assignment in front of her. She would never be an artist, Master Sethla had made that incredibly clear in his usual overdramatic way. But he said she still needed to do this photography assignment to "further her understanding of Republic Culture". Seemed silly, Maldecka was more interested in Jedi culture, specifically Knight culture.

Maldecka hadn't realized just how wide the divide between councilors and knights was until Master Orgus arrived at the temple. Everyone seemed so...well...boring compared to Orgus' wit and bluster. Even other Knights looked downright reverent in comparison. Maldecka grinned, pleased to have found a use for the word "reverent". One of her teachers had pulled her aside and tried to stress how important it was for Maldecka to be reverent of the non-combative lessons Maldecka was receiving. Maldecka had to look up the meaning of reverent. She didn’t have to look up the meaning of disrespectful.

Maldecka honestly hadn't meant to be disrespectful. She was trying to be clever, like Master Orgus. That's why Maldecka was trying to crack jokes like Master Orgus could. It was kinda like why she rolled her shoulders like Knight Zarro, because she wanted to be strong like him. Or why she read everything she could get her hands on, to be wise like Master Sellanni. Maldecka hadn't figured out how to be pretty like Knight Nettesh, but she would.

Maldecka blinked. In her home tribe, Maldecka would be expected to pick up traits of those warriors she respected. That was just part of learning to be a warrior. But if she wasn't supposed to do that with Jedi....

Maldecka leapt to the roof before she really thought about it. The physical effort calmed her mind some. She needed to figure out if it was wrong to steal traits from older Jedi. She needed room to think. She...

"Good evening Mal."

She had found Master Orgus. He was on the roof. Why was he on the roof?

Orgus laughed at the plain confusion on Maldecka's face, "Don't worry, I'm about done up here. I take it Zarro taught you to leap like that? You're better than some of the padawans I've been teaching lately."

Maldecka grinned, pleased at the complement, "No, I just watched him do it and imitated."

Orgus nodded in approval, "Does he know?"

Maldecka tilted her head, surprised at the tone, "I don't think so. I actually need to find out if it's okay to learn like that. It is for Zabraks but the Jedi see to be stuck in a rut about it."

Maldecka covered her mouth with her hands. She hadn't meant to let one of the phrases she had learned from Master Orgus slip out.

Orgus tossed back his head and laughed, "Mal, I will personally kick Zarro's but if he doesn't pick you as a padawan. " Calming himself Orgus looked over at Maldecka, "Your imitation of me is actually why I'm up here. I got called out by Council Member Mattiax for "wanton corruption of an initiate". His words not mine."

Maldecka sat next to Orgus, "I don't feel corrupted."

Orgus grinned at Zarro's Sunbeam, "Mal, I'm not sure anyone could corrupt you if you didn't want it. But, we do need to talk about your sense of humor. Or rather, my sense of humor. Actually, before that, tell me what else your picking up without being traditionally taught."

And so Maldecka did. Orgus grinned, knowing full well that Maldecka didn't just imitate Zarro's shoulder roll. She stood like him, walked like him, and her core combatives were so smooth and catlike she could easily be mistaken for part Cathar. Once it was mentioned, Orgus could easily spot Sellanni's influence in Maldecka's ability to reason and pick up knowledge as needed. Orgus fought back a laugh at the mention of Nettesh. He'd have to tease Zarro once Maldecka's a teenager and a lot more...focused on such things. But first Orgus needed to get Maldecka to stop imitating him before she got herself into real trouble.

Orgus was ready to explain why she shouldn't lump him in with her other role models, why he's a terrible influence, why his approach only lead to strife and conflict with other Jedi, when Maldecka surprised him.

"It's just, these traits are such wonderful gifts. I should have asked before taking them." Maldecka sounded miserable, thinking she had robbed them all somehow.

Orgus sat up, suddenly very aware that what he said next would be imprinted as truth on a young mind. Where was Zarro when you needed him? He would be able to say the right, council approved, thing in this moment.

Orgus cleared his through, buying time to think, "Mal, did you know, imitation is a form of flattery?"

Maldecka looked at him with wide eyes, quietly shaking her 'no'.

"Yeah, here amongst the core world's imitation is generally a form of flattery. Now, you need to be sure that the person your imitating understands that, and doesn't think your insulting them. But mostly it's okay. But you should be wise about who you imitate."

Maldecka laughed, and Orgus felt a bit insulted. Here he was being serious for once and an initiate ended up laughing at him.

Maldecka turned to Orgus with a wide grin, "Knight Zarro said something very similar. That's why I picked you four very carefully. I..." Maldeckas grin fell, eyes wide. "That's it!"

Before Orgus could ask Maldecka was leaping down the temple, "Good night Master Orgus!"

Orgus leaned back, feeling his insistence on never taking another padawan was entirely justified, given how that little advice sharing instance went.

When Maldecka approached Master Sethla with her idea, he was delighted. Maldecka had to be very sneaky as she captured pictures of her targets. She had even needed to tuck her pendant from Zarro into her shirt to keep it from giving her away. It took about two weeks, and Maldecka was pretty sure Zarro and Orgus had spotted her when she got their pictures. But it was worth it. Looking at the four images she had selected, Maldecka felt a strong burst of pride in what she had accomplished.

Grinning Maldecka scooped up her work and began the last part of her little mission.

Knight Nettesh thought a gentleman caller had left the picture on her door step. It was of her practicing forms in the early morning, framed by sunbeams. It was an honest mistake. The picture did, after all accent her natural beauty. When Nettesh read the note attached, she felt an uncommon blush cross her face. It had been a long time since anyone had complemented her appreance simply because they though she was beautiful. Grinning, Nettesh did a search on Zabrak makeup. Once Maldecka realized that boys were a bit more than just classmates, Nettesh would be ready.

Master Sellanni almost missed the photograph. It was easy for things to get eaten on her messy desk. Looking at it, Sellanni's first though was "How did they get this angle?" When she saw who it was from she decided it was better if she didn’t know. It was an image of the book club that met in the library. Sellanni considered them her closest friends in the whole order. It was just them, in a circle, smiling, talking and laughing. It was a snapshot of happiness. Sellanni had it framed and hung in her office. It was a gift after all. She could do what she wanted with it.

Zarro and Orgus found theirs roughly the same time. They hadn't know why Maldecka had been seeking around and then run off. They agreed to not bring it up unless it happened again. Zarro had been more hurt at Maldecka not greeting him after a mission than he would ever admit.

Now, holding the reason in his hands as he rushed to Orgus' rooms he was surprised to see Orgus coming to Zarro's rooms.

They were holding identical photographs. The two of them, Zarro tired and dusty from his mission, Orgus with his arm still in a sling, greeting each other with a handshake. They were both smiling and happy in the picture. Neither could remember the last time they had a picture taken of the two of them.

Orgus kept his safe in a locked drawer, besides a few other precious things. If Maldecka's message, clumsily imitating his manner of talking was also in there, no one needed to know.

Zarro kept his in a pocket of his coat. If he snagged a picture of Maldecka and kept it there too, well, no one needed to know.

Edited by Lady-Jean

Maldecka the Kid #10

Abt 1000 words, 1 hour

Catching Up - Pretty much all of our characters have pasts that might catch up with them in the future. Sometimes that's not a good thing, like seeing an old enemy. Sometimes it's great, when an old friend comes to help you when you need it. Either way, it's bound to be interesting.

Maldecka glanced behind herself. The three little new initiates were still staring at her. Maldecka crossed her arms and turned to the front again. She was almost eight now. She shouldn't be bothered by little kids looking at her. Maldecka had been allowed to come along to see what a "fetch mission" was like. All the initiates at her level had. Knight Nettesh had been delighted when she was assigned Maldecka for this mission. Picking up the new initiates had been harder than Maldecka expected. Nettesh explained that it's hard for little kids to be separated from their families. Each of the kids they were picking up were very strong in the force, and Nettesh only laughed when Maldecka asked why they followed her around like ducklings. Now they were waiting in the space port while Nettesh sorted out paying for the spot where they left their ship. Maldecka felt very important at being trusted with the protection of these new Jedi while Nettesh went to the counter.

Maldecka scanned the crowd again, it was still just families and businessmen. No Sith. Maldecka glanced over her shoulder, all three initiates were still looking at her, sitting in the corner where Nettesh directed them. Then why did Maldecka feel dread in the pit of her stomach?

"MALLY!"

Maldecka turned to the front, startled. No one had called her that since...."Kally?"

Kally sprinted up and hugged Maldecka. When Maldecka didn't hug back Kally let go, "Mally? Don't you remember me?"

Maldecka did remember. She remembered being manipulated. She remembered being left in a cooler with a shelf on top of her. She also remembered the relief of having a friend stand up for her when she was struggling with Basic on her second day at the temple.

Maldecka let a small smile grace her features, "I remember Kally. What are you doing here?"

Kally grinned, "My Dad's trying to get a casino set up here on Coruscant. I'd think three casinos on Nar Shaddar would be enough, but I guess not. He said if the Jedi can't appreciate me, then the Kings of the business world would. So I'm here to continue learning the family business." By the end of this, Kally was striking a pose that made her expensive robes flare just right.

Maldecka could feel three sets of eyes pinned to the back of her head, "I'm glad you've found your calling."

Kally glanced at Maldecka, "If I didn't know better, I'd say you're not happy to see me."

Maldecka shrugged, she had long ago dismissed Kally from her list of close friends, "I just didn't expect it. Can you blame me?"

Kally grinned, "Nope! I'm pretty surprising like that." A smug grin settled onto Kally's face, "Well I see you're still wearing those sad plain uniforms the Jedi forced on us, and not lightsaber yet. But what's this?"

Maldecka didn't like the gleam in Kally's eyes one bit.

Kally reached forward and picked the pendant off of Maldecka's chest before she could react. Kally stepped right into Maldecka's personal space, examining the pendant with interest, "Did you get a boyfriend while I was gone?"

Kally flipped the pendant over again, running her fingers over it. Maldecka resisted the urge to snatch it back and instead gently removed Kally's hand, "No, it was my challenge token from my sixth birthday."

Kally glanced back at the pendant, "Oh, so it was a gift. Do all the initiates get one? I've never seen a pendant quite like it."

Maldecka could feel the three initiates pressing into her back, something was bothering them. Maldecka swung her eyes over the crowd as she answered, "It's one of a kind." Maldecka couldn't sense anything, but something was really bothering the new initiates, they were whimpering.

Kally wasn't blind. She had known Maldecka's destiny the first time she had laid eyes on her. The Force just whispered such things to her all the time. That's why she had wanted to be friends with Maldecka. Kally had hoped Maldecka could change what Kally saw in the mirror.

Maldecka was carefully watching someone over Kally's shoulder, "Kally.."

"Ah, there you are Kallethamor. Who are you talking too?"

Maldecka didn't like the man who had walked up behind Kally. She didn't like the way the initiates responded to him, and she REALLY didn't like the way Kally flinched.

Maldecka stepped forward to get between Kally and the man, "My name is Maldecka. I am a Jedi of the Republic."

The man's eyebrows rose, "So you're Mally."

Maldecka growled, "My name is Maldecka. It is in your interest to learn it and move along."

The man smiled, but it was cold, calculating and unpleasant, "Very well Maldecka. We will meet in the future. Come Kallethamor."

Kally looked small and timid beside the man, but she followed, "Yes Father." Timidly she waved over her shoulder, "Bye Mally."

Maldecka felt something shift in the force. She wanted to go and help Kally but she couldn't. The initiates were all clinging to her at this point, but they had stopped whimpering.

Maldecka had no choice but to keep guard.

Many years later, with twin sabers in her hands Maldecka stood on the top of a casino on Nar Shaddar.

"It's over, you will answer for your crimes against the Republic! You will answer for what you did to Zarro!" She shouted over the rain.

The man trying to crawl away on one arm snarled back, face twisted by the dark side. He glanced to a point behind Maldecka, "Now Kallethamor, strike her down!"

Kally stepped forward, rain hissing onto the red saber her father had trained her to use. Glancing between the two, Kally chose.

@Lady-Jean I love the piece with Master Sellani trying to get through to Maldecka. And...

Orgus laughed, "I always wondered when a woman would come between us. I never figured she'd be seven."

So Orgus Din, and too funny.

And then, d'aww, the pictures were touching.

And what a stinger on the last one!

@Selentar, you get Lokin and Kaliyo so well. A rogue's gallery they may be, but they're professionals, too.

@sthrift, haha, poor Torian!

Corso as a hand-dish-washer? Yup. And individually towel-dried to be stacked away neatly after. And of course he's as careful of his women as he is of his dishes.

@Striges, I love Toothy's story. When I was much younger than I am now I adopted a large garden spider in an angle of the house; I adored it. I thought its laying an egg sac was the coolest thing ever, but was then heartbroken when it turned out that that was the last stage of its natural life cycle. How much harder it must be for a critter you've had a year or more to get attached to.

'Art museums aren't free, you know,' she ends with a crafty wink.

'Actually, Captain, they are,' Corso corrects with a tight and prudent frown

Dammit, Corso...only where you're from.

It must be a singular torture to be shacking up in a ship with that much...history. Especially when the other person won't let you forget it.

The Voss piece was intense.

A spoiler-free Gift with Ananz of the Mellekor!verse. 280 words.

Vette was spending more time on the ship. Her presence simultaneously thrilled and alarmed Ananz. She was good company, sharp, funny, up for an adventure here or there. He liked everything about her. He liked just having her near.

But the Wrath Mellekor’s words had stuck in his mind, and he was starting to think that she couldn’t be comfortable forever.

If he couldn’t hide their association he could at least grant her the protection of his allies. And so one evening on Nar Shaddaa, he took something from his pocket before he let her go. He held it up: a little ring of some dark matte material. It was heavier than it looked. It supported a small square flat plate with a single ornate symbol incised on the surface.

"It's an old Rakatan symbol,” he explained. “Talos tells me it almost certainly means 'strength.' I've found it in enough odd places...I kind of collect them now." He took her hand and pressed the ring into her palm. "A number of players know that. It may serve as proof that Darth Imperius has taken an interest in your fate. Hold on to it." He exhaled a little and looked away, letting his hands drop. "Or don't, it's up to you."

Vette ran her fingers over the symbol. "Hey. Far be it from me to turn down a big ‘don’t hit me’ sign.”

“Or ‘hit me,’” he said uneasily. “It gets hard to tell.”

“Yeah, well. Sith are funny like that.” She looked up at him, knowing, pretty, not even slightly cowed. “I’ll hang on to it. If nothing else a solid rock ring should let me throw a mean punch.”

Then Alternate Perspectives, more or less; instead of doing the same scene from two POVs it’s two different meetings from two POVs, each illustrative of its participants' careers. Spoiler free. 500 and 400 words for Ananz and Mellekor.

“Are you sure you want to come?” said Ananz.

“Sure,” said Vette. “Not every day we hear from a Light Side Sith willing to talk. Beats the heck out of negotiating with the other kind. Besides, if you want a diplomat…you really, really need someone who isn’t you.”

“Is this still about…? I apologized to that waiter.”

“You almost killed him just with the dirty looks.”

“I didn’t! Listen, we’d better get moving if we’re going to make that meeting.”

Vette smiled sweetly. “All right.”

The meeting place was scant hours away in Ananz’s ship. Once there Niner went on ahead to scope out the meeting site; he wasn’t in any way qualified for subterfuge or combat, but he very much preferred to take a look at the site before allowing Ananz there, and it couldn’t hurt. It was a forested park they were to meet in, well away from prying eyes. Ananz and Vette parked their speeders and dismounted, walking a few paces into the clearing.

“Well,” chirped Vette, “we’re not the late ones.”

“This is wrong,” said Ananz. “Where’s Niner?”

“Saw some bugs and went into cardiac arrest?”

There was a rustling in the underbrush and 9-Q3K scuttled out. A couple of his joints were spitting sparks. “Master! Master! It’s a trap! It’s–” Something bright and red burst through his chassis, then silence.

The black-clad Sith withdrew her lightsaber. As Ananz scanned the area he saw four more creeping from the shadows.

“Find cover.” He cast his focus at Vette first, forming a shield around her; it might sap his power but it protected what mattered. And he had anger to spare.

He stood still. Black shapes, red sabers. He felt the approach behind him and the most hurried of the charges before him. At the last moment he darted to one side, and in the confusion of that final approach his attackers stumbled and turned, off balance, vulnerable to the push, the stream of Force lightning, ready for death. He gave it to them.

Vette’s blaster fire made a fine accompaniment for the others. They all focused on him as the greater danger. A sound tactical choice, but not enough to save them. He reached within and flung his hate at them in spitting arcs, blinding to unprepared eyes, searing to undefended flesh.

The instant he felt the last spark of life snuff out he ran to where Vette was, half hiding by a tree. He wrapped his arms around her and squeezed tight. “I’m sorry,” he said, his voice suddenly weak. “There wasn’t supposed to be any danger.”

“Hey, don’t go Niner on me,” she said, pushing back until she could breathe. “I’ve definitely had worse.”

“Well, you shouldn’t.” He pulled back just enough to see her face and the rush of his adrenaline took on a whole new dimension. He needed her alive, like this, determined, ready for anything. He needed her close enough to feel safe. Somehow his hand was on her cheek, steadying him or perhaps her. He stared into her eyes and temporarily forgot to breathe.

“Hey,” she said, the motion of her lips mesmerizingly close to his. “Shouldn’t we go fix your droid?”

The power base of an errant Darth must be worn away. Irritating work, but Mellekor could dispose quickly of anyone foolish enough to stand defiant when he came for them.

The meeting was in Kaas City, the kind of place where outright murder was rare. Too many Sith and Imperial officials in power, ready to crack down on disorder. Even the powers moved with discretion here. When it suited them.

Mellekor was not invited to the meeting. He simply had a pawn set it up, a matter of petty intrigue with the unpleasantly influential fool Mellekor was to kill.

The pawn was unreliable on her own, blind, selfish, and most importantly treacherous when not properly played to; but all this would not present a problem. It only reduced the number of people whose survival he cared about today.

The meeting had started fifteen minutes ago. Jaesa shadowed him as he reached the door and took a few moments to listen to the voices within. Weary stuff, but this was how order was maintained.

He kicked the edge of the locked door and shoved the remainder out of the way. Silence ruled for a long moment while he surveyed the room.

“Well, well,” said Mellekor. “What veiled terms for bald treason.”

He stepped aside to let Jaesa glide in beside him. The smartest two of the conspirators were drawing their lightsabers, but they didn’t stand a chance against Mellekor and his apprentice. She sensed the moment of his action and moved in rhythm with him. Once he had resented the bond with so unworthy a woman; over time he had grown used to it, and it had saved both their lives on more than one occasion.

He had regretted her, night after night, but now in her full fury she was blindingly beautiful, the dark flower he had worked for so long to coax from those coarse thorns. She hated him, he knew, but she desired him as well; he could not ask for a better consort now.

They finished their task in scant moments. Another victory for the Wrath. The work never ended; at times the grim tedium bored him. But he had the status he had always craved. He had power, and the opportunity to test himself. He had a follower he had shaped in his image. He was Sith, and this was his birthright.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Prompt: Gifts

Title: Give a Cathar

Maura and Aric, no spoilers

Maura was hot, tired and smelled really bad. Whew, she thought, so glad there’s no one else on the ship right now. She’d sent the crew on shore leave, knowing they needed to be rested and at their best for the next mission they’d get from Garza. No idea what it might be, but so far each one had been a little more grueling than the last. She keyed in her code on the airlock, and the cool, sweet air hit her face. Aaahhhh, that feels so good, she thought. Barely inside, she started unlatching gear, then thought she’d better check to make sure she was alone first.

“Hello? Anyone there?” she called. She walked into the briefing room, saw no one there, and walked back into the cargo hold. She looked into the ammo room, and briefly regretted insisting Aric go with the crew. She recalled the argument they’d had.

“If we want to remain under the radar of the crew, you’ll have to go on leave, too, “ she insisted.

“Maura, I don’t care anymore if the whole damn world knows I love you,” he’d said, but in the end, gave in to her need for things to be “proper”. “Damn women,” he’d muttered as he slung his pack on his shoulder. “I’ll never understand them.” She’d smiled at that, and felt the emptiness almost immediately.

Maura spent her shore leave at a special ops combat training course. She was sore and tired after the first day, the third day she was ready to quit. She lasted the whole five days, though. Now all she wanted was a hot shower, some food that wasn’t a ration bar, and Aric. She could have the first two easily enough, but Aric and the crew weren’t scheduled to return until the next day. She made her way through her quarters, shedding gear and underarmor as she walked, the grit of the training course having worked its way everywhere.

In the shower, she luxuriated in the scalding water, feeling the soreness eased and her spirits lift in the steam that poured out. She took her time, having nowhere to be or anyone who needed something from her. When the water began to cool, she reluctantly left the shower stall, and quickly dressed in comfortable old clothing, a threadbare tshirt and some stretchy pants that had seen better days.

She was rubbing scented lotion into her abraded skin when she smelled food cooking. C2, I guess, she thought. He must have returned from his upgrading already. She pulled some of Miriah’s socks onto her feet, a gift she’d received just last week, and was, for the first time since she’d left the ship five days previously, comfortable. She hummed to herself as she rounded the doorway into the galley, and almost screamed when she saw Aric standing there.

“So you’d rather spend your birthday training than risk a party?” he asked, grinning at her shocked face. She couldn’t speak, and he walked to her, pulling her against him. “I missed you, Maura, let’s not do that again. Be apart for so many days, I mean.” She nodded against his shoulder, surprised to find unshed tears in her eyes.

“How…why…” she stammered, unable to focus when he was holding her.

“I knew you were going for training, remember? I only figured out the birthday thing when Magdalane sent a package here and the portmaster contacted me to retrieve it.” He led her to the table, where he’d set out nice plates and wine, the napkins placed just so. She smiled and sat, and he sat with her, enjoying the meal and the company.

When they’d eaten all they wanted and left the table for her quarters, Aric took her hand and looked into her eyes. “I didn’t buy a gift for you, because I didn’t find anything that felt right, so I owe you one.”

“No, you don’t, “ she told him. “You’re the gift. And you’re here with me. That’s what matters.” The hum he always produced on her skin intensified, and she was so glad the crew was gone.

@ bright_ephemera: Ananz concern was really interestingly done. I like the idea of not being sure if it's a 'don't touch' or 'come and get me'. Glad you're enjoying the Maldecka stories so far too!

@ Magdalane: Yay, birthdays :D

Maldecka the Kid #11

abt 500 words, in half and hour

Dreams and Nightmares - Sometimes these are literal - a horrible nightmare or a pleasant dream that you don't want to wake up from. Sometimes it's a metaphor - your desires for the future or your greatest fear. Either way, they're a part of everyone's lives. Thank you Striges for this prompt!

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. Zarro forced all his frustration and anger into his legs, bending the force to help him leap from roof to roof. How could he have be so stupid! He never should have carried those photographs on himself. Never! But he did. He had three photographs in a secret pocket of his coat. A coat that some clever sith apprentice was holding about two roofs infront of him.

Zarro had known he was becoming a thorn in their side. He had the Jedi Order beef up security, just to be sure Lord Zethama didn't spot connections to certain people. To protect them from Zarro's current mission. Zarro thought that was enough. Except he carried those photographs around for the last year and a half! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

With an uncommon burst of anger Zarro leapt high into the air, landing right in front of the apprentice. Startled the apprentice tossed Zarro's coat at him. Zarro batted it aside, but it was just enough time for the apprentice to board his ship and take off. In desperation Zarro reached out with the force, willing the ship down. The apprentice had allies, and they shot at Zarro from the ship, hitting him in the shoulder, breaking his concentration. Zarro could do nothing as the ship left the planet.

Breathing heavily, Zarro trotted back to his coat. Reaching in it was obvious the apprentice had found the secret pocket. Zarro reached in, surprised to find two of the three photographs still in there. The photo of Orgus and himself was still there, a gift from Maldecka. The other was a photograph of him, Orgus, Nettesh and Maldecka after they organized a challenge for her eight birthday. Nettesh was helping Maldecka put on the gold horn jewelry she had earned while Orgus and Zarro were saying something in the background.

Zarro felt himself go cold. The third photograph, the photograph of Maldecka, was gone. A flood of emotions rushed through Zarro, mostly variations of shame and anger that he had let this happen.

Folding his legs beneath himself, Zarro centered himself. Panic would not help. Breathing deeply Zarro reminded himself that he was a Jedi Knight.

Reaching out to his communicator, Zarro took another deep breath.

Activating the secure line he began, "Alpha Nine? This is Light Feet. I have made a terrible mistake..."

Prompt - Gifts

Title - Forged in Fire

Class - Bounty Hunter

"Dha, it's beautiful!" Mako gushed.

Dha grinned down at his six-month old daughter, clad in a dark blue jumpsuit. The armorer had promised that he would have the armor plates ready to go in a few days. Until then, Crysta would be toddling around in the blue jumpsuit sans armor.

"Isn't she a bit young for armor?" Mako continued doubtfully.

Dha grinned. "My buir gave me a buy'ce when I was only her age, cyar'ika."

"You Mandos and your armor," Mako said with a laugh.

Crysta gurgled, and Dha thought it might've been a thank you, dada.

Mando'a:

buir: father, parent

buy'ce: helmet

cyar'ika: darling

@Everstream: As much as Audra wanted to keep her story from Corso, it seemed she needed to tell it as much as he needed to hear. Voss brings that out in people.

@Lady-Jean: Still enjoying Maladecka. I liked how she both received and gave a gift in the first story, though sad to see Zarro’s backfire. I also liked seeing the continuing relationship with Kally later. (You’re welcome for the dream/nightmare prompt!)

@Bright: I always like Ananz stories. I loved Vette’s very practical take on the ring. Then the alternate perspectives for him and Mellekor. Both a different take on approaching a meeting, and a very different relationship with their respective partners.

@Magdalane: The best gift ever is a partner who knows just what you need. So lovely that Maura has that in Aric.

@YoshiRalphElan: So cute. A sweet follow up to the earlier piece ordering the armor. Only Mandalorians design armor for diaper changes.

Replies:

@ Striges: Awwww, toothy! :( It was a very sweet story. Excellent writing.

@Striges, I love Toothy's story. When I was much younger than I am now I adopted a large garden spider in an angle of the house; I adored it. I thought its laying an egg sac was the coolest thing ever, but was then heartbroken when it turned out that that was the last stage of its natural life cycle. How much harder it must be for a critter you've had a year or more to get attached to.

You have no idea how much trouble I’m in at home for being responsible for Toothy’s demise. My husband’s reaction was “You killed Toothy!” I wanted to end it with the egg sac, since a similar incident with a black moor goldfish inspired the story. But after getting to that point, the question remained “what happened with the eggs?” (The fish lived for another year) That said, I’m glad you liked it. I’ve had pets from nearly every major classification, and it’s never easy when one dies.

@bright: Is there, like, some sort of secret to writing evil PoVs? Because you can clearly do it well with fun flower metaphors, and I can't, so.

@Magdalane: I know what it's like to deliberately avoid people on birthdays :(

@Lady-Jean: So, Zarro's

?

@Yoshi: Powered armor + kids = amazing idea. Could explain why there aren't a whole lot of Mandos around, though...

---

Title: Butterflies

Character: Alypia

Spoilers: Sith Warrior (Chapter I) (very minor)

"Okay, Jaesa. Close your eyes."

She furrowed her brow. "Uh, why?"

"Because I said so?" said Aly with the faintest trace of irritation. "Because I'm the Master and you're the apprentice and this is my spaceship and ugh come on just do it already, there's no need to turn this into a whole drawn-out production."

"Okay..."

"Good. Thanks. Here you go."

When she opened her eyes again, a small black piece of metal had appeared in her hand. Two little bars joined together with a hinge at one end. She stared at it quizzically, trying - and failing - to divine the purpose of this odd little present.

"Well," she said finally. "It's a very...interesting...uh..."

Aly looked at her expectantly.

"...whatever it is," she finished lamely.

"Butterfly knife," the Sith Lady supplied. "See, this is how you work it." She took the piece back and flipped it with a quick snap of her wrist, parting the bars to reveal an impossibly sharp knife underneath.

Jaesa frowned. "Is that a dead blade?"

"Yep! No good for much of anything if it isn't sharp." Aly looked exceedingly pleased with herself, and Jaesa couldn't imagine why.

"Aly, I don't know if you've noticed," she said drily, "but I don't exactly use knives. Or vibroshivs. Or anything like that, really."

"Silly. It's not for fighting." Aly seemed to consider this for a bit as she folded the knife and placed it back in her apprentice's hand. "Well, actually, it is, but that's not why I gave it to you."

"And that is...?"

"Well, I've had a few lightsabers over the last year or so. Got that really super old one from a tomb on Korriban, but it's not like I had to build it or anything, so it didn't really feel like 'me'. It was like I was borrowing it. Then I built my own with those pieces Vette got from Ziost, but I'm kinda using that one at the moment, so I can't let you have it. But this knife...this is all me."

Jaesa studied it more carefully. "You made this?"

"Well, no," her Master said sheepishly. "I got it from a guy named Lucky Valent when I was about eleven years old. No idea where he got it. And I didn't have much of a chance to ask him because he bought it about six weeks later. Unfortunate nickname, come to think of it."

"He died?"

"Remember what I was doing when I was eleven? Intelligence picked him up for questioning and 'botched' the interrogation."

She could've thought of a lot more semi-incredulous questions, but squelched them as they came up; she was acting goofy enough as it was. Instead, she said: "So this is what you used to do Sith Lords' dirty work."

"Yup." Aly's face fell as she noticed the still-confused look on her apprentice's face. "Ah, nuts. Okay, uh. You know me..."

Jaesa grinned. "I certainly hope so."

"Hst. This is hard enough to articulate as it is. Anyway. I'm not good at a whole lot of things-"

What a lie, she thought, but she kept the disbelief off her face.

"-but killing people is one of them. With any kind of weapon. Shee, my body's a weapon. I'm a weapon. It's who I am. A weapon is a tool for killing; I'm a tool for killing."

"You're not just a tool-" she interrupted.

Aly cut her off again. "Hachachachachacha. Not. The point. The point is, weapons are, like, important to me. Not, you know, in and of themselves, but as, I dunno, symbols? Metaphors? Like, this knife, that's who I was back then. Kinda unrefined, simple..."

Jaesa experimentally worked the butterfly knife's action. "...pretty..."

"...mostly good when used up close, more personal, you get it. That knife compared to the lightsaber I use now, is like me back then compared to the me standing in front of you."

"Utterly useless if you forget to recharge?"

"Hey," the Sith Lady said defensively, "we were out in the wilderness a long time that day. I had thought I'd be safe with just the one power pack. And besides, it was just a coupla akks, no big deal, you did fine on your own. But. You're sidetracking me. Stop it. Any metaphor falls apart if you look at it long enough."

She twitched her nose contritely. "Sorry, Aly."

"No biggie. Just lemme finish," she said, smiling. "Okay. So. What I guess I'm trying to say is that I remember how you felt about me and my life as a little girl. So here you are. Me as a little girl. That little knife represents my life back then."

What Aly's childhood represented to Jaesa was an infinite ocean of sadness. If there were such a thing as a reason Jedi existed, preventing what had happened to her Master would be it.

What she said, in a tone of solemnity usually reserved for funerals, was, "Thank you."

Her Master immediately perked up. "Oh, you get it. Thank kark. That was hard to explain. I mean, uh, nuts. Gah."

Jaesa smiled. "Thank nuts?"

"No, mmmm, aargh." Aly swore under her breath. "What is it about you that makes my mouth stop working right?"

"I think," she said sweetly, "it works just fine."

The Sith Lady laughed hoarsely. "I corrupted the incorruptible. You're bad, you know that?"

"Sorry. Still, like I said, thank you for the gift. You know how sentimental I can get."

"It takes one to know one."

She acknowledged this with a grave nod. "I didn't mean to give you a hard time. It means a lot to me that you gave me something like this, Aly."

Her Master exaggeratedly drew her hand across her forehead. "I'm just glad that you see where I'm coming from."

"Actually, there is one bad thing about this little gift," she said offhandedly.

"What's that?"

"I'm going to have to figure out how to match it somehow when it's your nameday in a couple of months."

Ohohohoho I am plugging my own thread what a cunning author I am :p

Jaesa was clearly channeling a California ABC when she was thinking "what a lie".

Aly carries a black knife. And although you wouldn't know it by that scene right there, she can match the likes of Caine or Malcolm Tucker for profanity, when she's not being distracted.

Oh, so much reading to catch up on!! Sorry, no comments this time, I will catch up today though! This weekend has been crazy with me trying to get everything ready for vacation in a few days. However, between laundry and packing for me, the hubby, and our kids, not to mention bathing our 95lb dog, who goes with us, I have managed to eek out a story for this weeks' prompt. Luckily, I have had it outlined for a couple of weeks now, so it didn't take too long. Hope you enjoy it! This immediately follows Not All Birthdays Are Happy.

Title: A Happy Birthday At Last

Character: Mallayse-trooper

Setting: Thunderclap

Spoilers: Trooper spoilers up to Hoth, companion spoilers with Jorgan

Aric was pacing in the weapons room, waiting for the Elara, Tanno, and Forex to leave the ship. They had just docked on the Hoth orbital station. He looked down at the box in his hand once again, excited and nervous at the same time. A few years ago, he had bought a pretty stone from a street market vender. The woman looked like she needed the sale and the stone was unusual and very pretty. He had forgotten about the stone until he came across it a couple of months ago in a box of mementos he had of his home and parents. As soon as he saw it, he knew he wanted Mallay to have it. He took it to a jeweler on Carrick Station when they were on leave after eliminating Tavus and had it set into a necklace.

He had wanted to give it to her for a few weeks now, but hadn’t found the right time. There had been the whole spying incident just after he had picked it up and Mallay had been so nervous and embarrassed around him after that there was no way he could get her alone. Then they got sent to Tattooine to extract an SIS agent who had information on an Imperial superweapon, The Gauntlet. Havoc was immediately sent to Balmorra after that to get Vik as their demo expert.

He was going to try to find the time when they had a short stopover back at Carrick Station while waiting for their next assignment after acquiring Vik. Unfortunately, that is when the hair dye debacle happened and the timing definitely wasn’t right after that. Mallay had eventually calmed down enough to listen to his and Corso’s apologies and had forgiven them. Luckily, her hair had returned to its normal color when she made a second trip to Risha’s hair dresser friend after they finished on Quesh.

Garza had sent them on to Hoth and they were en route when Mallay woke them all with her nightmares. Knowing that they would have questions, she told them that today was her birthday and that birthdays for her were not happy occasions. She went on to explain that her father had been killed by Imperials and she had nearly died on her fifteenth birthday nine years ago. Elara told her that she wasn’t going to hide out, they would find something fun to do. Tanno promised to be extra annoying to make her smile. Mallay thanked them, smiling a little already and sent them to bed, intending to try to get some sleep herself. Aric’s body heated at the thought of what happened instead.

They were alone in the rec room and Mallay asked him if he was angry with her. He was a little, he had strong feelings for her and hated that she thought she was so ugly when in truth, she was quite the opposite. He had wanted her for so long and had even dreamt of her, resulting in many cold showers. He didn’t want her to feel that way about herself anymore, so he told her. He told her of the very beautiful, highly desirable women he saw every time he looked at her. Then, because he just couldn’t hold himself back any longer, he kissed her. That is when he discovered that inside his shy little Mallay was an extremely passionate woman. The kiss turned into several and soon they were making out like love sick teenagers. She surprised him when he felt her hands slip under his shirt, and a powerful surge of desire shot through him as she ran those hands slowly over his back and chest. His control shattered at that point and he picked her up and set her on the counter, his own hands doing a little exploring on her lithe little body. Mallay wrapped her legs around his waist, and as she leaned back to give him better access to explore further, she knocked over the glass of water she'd left on the counter. The sound of glass shattering on the metal floor was enough to wake Elara and they barely had enough time to break apart and right their clothing when she walked in. He quickly ducked out of the room, not wanting Elara to see the highly visible condition he was in and made his way to the refresher for yet another cold shower.

It was while he was in the shower cooling off, that he decided to give her the necklace when they got to Hoth. He figured he could just wait until the others left. He knew Mallay always waited until everyone else was off the ship before she would leave so he would have her alone. Not the ideal time, but he really wanted to give it to her now. He wanted her to have something nice on her birthday, hopefully something that would give her a happy memory to help ward off some of the bad ones.

“Thinking about hiding out here instead of freezing down on Hoth?” the subject of his thoughts giggled, startling him.

“You are going to freeze down there more than I will,” he replied, a slow grin spreading on his face as he thought of ways he could warm her up. Her thoughts must have taken a similar turn because he noticed a blush come over her face as she smiled.

“You ready to go?”

“Almost,” he told her, then handed her the box, “I wanted to give you this first. Happy birthday, Mallay.”

She opened the box and gasped, “Oh, Aric! This is beautiful!”

He smiled and told her about the stone, “I have wanted to give you that for a few weeks, but never found the right time. Now, I am glad I waited because I got to give it to you on your birthday.”

“You didn’t have to give me anything, Aric.”

“I know I didn’t have to, I wanted to.” He told her gently. “You mean a lot to me.”

“Thank you, Aric. I absolutely love it!” she beamed, eyes sparkling with joy as she took it out of the box and started putting it on. “You already gave me something for my birthday though.”

Aric stepped behind her to help her with the clasp, “Oh?”

“After I went back to bed, I eventually fell back to sleep and for the first time in nine years I didn’t relive that awful day.”

He got the necklace fastened and whispered in her ear, “what were your thoughts of, Mallay?”

“You, how much you mean to me, and the wonderful way you made me feel.”

He kissed her neck and murmured, “How do I make you feel?”

“Beautiful….desirable….wanted….happy….excited” she moaned breathlessly, as his mouth explored her neck.

He turned her to face him, looking into those deep blue eyes, “You are beautiful and desirable and I definitely want you!” he told her, his voice husky, just before he lowered his mouth to hers.

Their passion ignited and once again they were lost in each other, but this time they were interrupted by Mallay’s Holo going off. They broke apart and she answered it.

“Happy Birthday, sister dearest!” Bella grinned slyly, “So....was I interrupting something?”

“Thanks, Bella!" Mallay replied, "But what makes you think you were interrupting anything?”

“Well, for starters, I don’t think I have seen you smiling like that on your birthday in nine years and you look a little out of breath. Also, Elara, Tanno, and Forex are down here waiting for the shuttle and they wanted me to ask you to take a break from making out with Jorgan and get your butt down here!”

“What would make them think I am doing that?!” Mallay asked slowly, face heating up.

“Well, sir,” Elara piped up, “Judging from the fact that you looked a little, uh, ravaged, when I came into the rec room last night and that Lieutenant Jorgan raced out of the room and into a cold shower tells me that you two were definitely having a bit of fun.”

“I think the bite marks on your neck are a dead giveaway, sir.” Tanno chuckled.

Bella laughed at the shocked and embarrassed look that came over her sister’s face, “Relax, sis, we are all happy for you both. Now get down here so I can get a look at those bite marks. It’s about time I get to pay you back for teasing me for that kind of stuff.”

Mallay signed off and turned to Aric, who grinned sheepishly, “Yeah, sorry about the bite marks. I guess I lost a little control last night.”

Mallay’s body heated up at the memory of how she got those marks and she smiled, “I’m not sorry in the least and I hope I can make you lose control again…..just maybe when we are alone and have a lot of time though.”

“Oh, I don’t think that will ever be a problem.” He told her as they left the ship, “Happy birthday.”

Yeah, it is a happy birthday,” she nodded, feeling lighthearted and giddy, as she touched the necklace, “Thank you for that, Aric.”

Note:

I really hope their feelings came across alright. Despite having a rough outline of this story, it felt weird writing it when in my fanfic, Mallay and Bella are still on Ord Mantell and she hates Jorgan. :rolleyes:

Edited by alaurin

@Magdalane, nice to have a surprise moment at home...extra points if it's after you've gotten to wash off the hard day.

@Lady-Jean, Zarro's panic is palpable. And his helplessness in that moment.

@Euphrosyne, is it incriminating to say that evil POVs come naturally to me? :o Really it's a matter of working out what they want, just like any character...then remembering that the ethical reflexes that would block my own reasoning/action wouldn't necessarily block theirs.

I like Jaesa and Aly's relationship. And how flustered Aly gets.

@Yoshi, sometimes I think toddlers could use a solid layer of armor...might not get them into any less trouble but it'd hurt less when they fall. :p

@alaurin, spicy! I'm consitutionally incapable of not-liking Jorgan plus lady Trooper, and it's awesome how he alternately supports and, um, bites, Mallayse. :D (I hear you on the 'writing out of order' thing. Jumping around Vierce and Elara's timeline nearly gave me an ulcer as I tried to work up the appropriate ire...wait, no, affection...wait, grr, hatred...)

Paperwork sort of qualifies as Law and Governance as part of a pair of things for Vierce. 200 and 250 words, no spoilers.

She waylaid me on my way out of the cargo bay. She had a datapad. She always had a datapad.

“Sir, if you would–”

“Yeah.” You could cut her Imperial accent with a knife. I wanted to.

Dorne half offered the pad, but didn’t quite let go of it. “There are three forms, be sure to review them all–”

As if I couldn’t figure it out from the first dozen times she gave me these collections. “You want me to put my holosignature on a stamp, just use that twenty times a day instead of coming to me?”

“Sir,” she primmed, “it’s imperative that you personally acknowledge your cognizance of these matters as per–”

“I’m paying attention.” I cut her off, took hold of the datapad in her hands, and deliberately removed it from her grip. Then I took a few seconds to pay attention to the actual material I was supposed to be signing. That wasn’t the stuff I worried about watching, but I’d damn well rather keep on top of it than let her think I wasn’t doing my job. “Sergeant.”

She seemed to jump a little, straighten even further, when I signed off and handed the datapad back to her. “Thank you, sir.”

“Dismissed.” My favorite part of our conversations: them ending.

Note:

”Primmed” is a made-up verb for Elara. Like “stoicked” for Quinn.

Part 2: About two and a half years later, something like As Time Goes By.

I missed her when I woke up.

How strange is that? Elara couldn't exactly stay the night with me. The rest of the crew knew there was something between us but we weren't that obvious. And everything else aside, I'm not the easiest guy to sleep next to.

But after just this one night there seemed to be a space for her ready beside me, and everything in me said she should be there.

I hurried to get moving for the day. I found her and Tanno Vik in the mess. Elara looked up to spec, not a hair out of place. And radiant.

"Hey," I grunted to her and Vik both.

“Sir,” she said. I suddenly realized there was a datapad by her hand. She lifted it and hopped to her feet. “A word?”

“Yeah, sure.” I didn’t dare to meet Vik’s eye; no idea what he thought of this. Instead I followed my pounding heart and the convenient excuse further into the galley.

“Just a signature,” she said.

It filled me up just being near her, hummed in my ears, all over my skin. I touched her arm while taking the datapad, leaned down a little, and whispered "I love you."

A little blush came to her cheeks, but not the slightest doubt showed in her eyes. At the edge of hearing she breathed, “And I you.”

“Ready for the day?”

Elara took back the forgotten datapad and smiled all the sunrise I needed. “Ready for anything.”

Edited by bright_ephemera

Ugh, been so busy with work, writing for my separate topics that I'm way behind. I will add comments shortly.

*Edit* Comments incoming starting from like mid-page 340. Because I'm super lazy :cool:

@Lady-jean: I'm happy to see you continuing to write (and also enjoying your separate topic/story), and I'm looking forward to where Maldecka goes next. Also, Orgus :D

@ Selentar: One of the major benefits of double xp weekend was that I finally leveled my agent. I would have enjoyed reading your story, regardless, but knowing the characters better really let me appreciate the interactions you wrote for them

@sthrift: I'm still working through the BH storyline (don't even have torian yet :(), but I've been enjoying your pieces, especially as I'm someone else who is writing siblings separated by factions.

@Striges: Trigger warning or not, boo :( I remember when my pet goldfish died when I was about eleven and it was traumatic.

@Eversteam: As always, I enjoy your detailed look at the smuggler life in general and smuggler/Corso specifically. I absolutely adore the female smuggler and it's fun reading your stories in Kath Soucie's voice.

@Bright: Striges sort of stole my comment on your first post and so did Euphrosyne (hey, it's a trend!) so i'm going to go with "ditto" and echo the sense that I wish I could write darker PoVs as well as you (Malcineve is more than a little over the top). Also, Vierce/Elara = eeeeeeeeee

@Magdalane: Bright sort of stole my comment, so after I stamped my feet a couple of times I had to think of a new one. If I were a trooper (and thankfully for everyone involved, I never would be), that's how I would want things to be. :)

@Yoshi: I rarely squee, and this was a time I did. I'm not proud to admit it, but there it is.

@Euphrosyne: I've been really enjoying Alypia/Jaesa's story in your separate topic and am always thrilled to see more. I'm going through the SW story right now (unfortunately my SW is a a complete monster so I'm missing a lot of the nuance to it that you bring out), and I appreciate the way you bring it to life.

@alaurin: So I guess Mallay moved on from the Wookie? Poor Wookie :(;)

Character: Amurri (BH)

Notes: Features another of my characters

Not often we had a job set up for an Imperial, but the credits had checked out when Mako ran through her routine and they’d been routed through an account she’d recognized as solid. Worked for me, we were in the clear and the client was paying well.

The old man hadn’t proven too difficult at all, other than being heavier than he looked. Tied him up in the house the client had indicated, then sat and waited for the meet time. Place had been wired to blow, which was strange, but maybe the client had some sort of crazy grudge against the guy. Or maybe the client’s the crazy one, best to be safe. Mako had scrounged up some devices from the local black market to help out if things went sour.

My alert went off. Time to go.

The client was waiting exactly where he said he’d be, leaning against one of the lampposts while the light above flickered repeatedly, then died. Looked a lot better than my usual clients too; a little younger than me, dark hair, well-built. If I hadn’t been looking for it, I might have even missed the fact he was military. Still, if I have to take a one-off job, I don’t mind it being from someone like him. I did wonder what brought him here, though.

He waved slightly at me, then looked furtively over his shoulder before making his way over. He nodded politely at Mako, then faced me. There was something fierce in his eyes that made them hard to directly into, like I liked to do with clients when finally getting a chance to size them up. We made our way into the safehouse. He didn’t seem like one for small talk. Fine by me.

“He’s in there, like we requested?”

Guy was new at this, with all that the ‘we’ told me. Someone out there held a grudge against the Imperials. This was too dirty for the Republic, too big for any of the mid-sized criminal organizations. I doubted the Hutts would do it, but I wasn’t sure who else might be able to dump that many credits on me on so short notice on Nar Shaddaa.

“What’d this guy do to deserve this? Just curious. Seems a bit drastic for a poster boy for the Republic military.”

He turned on me with a glint in his eye I didn't like. "I'm not here as a Republic officer."

Interesting

"What are you here as? A concerned citizen? Settling some political feud from years ago?"

That hit a nerve, as he stopped mid-stride and favored me with a long, hard, look. For half a moment I wondered if he might draw on me then and there, but the moment passed quickly. “Destroyed my life. Destroyed my family. Destroyed my world. All you need to know, right?” The look on his face said there was a lot of pain behind the man, and the rage he felt at it was being directed at the Imperial inside.

The old man looked up as we entered. He glanced past Mako and me quickly enough and focused on the client.

“My boy, my boy. I knew you would come here for me when this wretched bounty hunter mentioned having a client who had asked for me. Do take these restraints off.” He paused as the client circled him like a predator circles its prey. His shoulders slumped slightly, and his expression changed. “You’re…you’re not going to shoot me, are you? You wouldn’t, not you. It violates your code, it violates Republic law.” The man’s voice was half-sneer, half-whimper.

The client turned to me and nodded. We both headed for the door, but he called out to the old man as we left.

“Relax, FIllo, I’m not going to shoot you.”

When we got outside, I cornered him. “Listen, I don’t know what this guy did, but you’re not going to bring Imperial heat on me without good reason. Who is this guy, what is he to you?”

He turned and looked at me. His eyes were still burning fiercely, but there was a pain haunting them too. “Why do you care?”

“Just because we’re bounty hunters doesn’t mean we aren’t people,” Mako piped in.

He blew out a loud breath. “Guy was the mayor of my home town, we thought he was our friend. Turned out he was an Imperial plant and helped bring on an attack by pirates and slavers who wiped my town and most of my life away. Killed my mom, killed my little brother and sister. Killed my friends, killed my high school sweetheart. I caught him once, on Coruscant, but he got away. This time he doesn’t get away, not ever.”

I coughed to fill the uncomfortable silence that had followed. “So you aren’t exactly here as a Republic soldier.” He shook his head, but didn’t say anything. “Tell you what. We won’t charge you for this one, piece of karked up filth like that ain’t worth it. Just keep me in mind if you ever hear of any bounties Republic side, and maybe put in a good word for me if I ever get in trouble.”

He regarded me suspiciously. “What kind of bounty hunter are you?”

“Does it matter? Consider it a gift, from one orphan to another.”

That seemed to convince him more than anything else Mako or I could ever say. He nodded, then shook my hand.

The comm beeped, the old man had finally gotten tired of sitting around. “Ayrs, my boy, what is it I can do for you?”

Ayrs' voice was choked with emotion; pain, sadness, loss, regret and rage.

“Burn.”

He activated the detonator.

Spoilerish notes:

Ayrs' encounter with and capture of Fillo (MacTyre) can be found on two posts beginning with this one on his separate topic. Ayrs typically hides his pain behind humor, and this basically represents what might have been if he had been a different kind of person (although someone like Fillo pushes just enough of his buttons for him to lose control here, after so long.), This is probably about as dark as he gets, except when it comes to C2-N2.

Last line is a homage/rip-off of For the Man Who Has Everything, one of the few comics I have ever read, where it's Superman who finally reaches his limit....(Panel in question)

This will get expanded in the separate story, but I figured it'd be nice to introduce the Amurri/Ayrs connection that will come into play later.

Character: Malicineve (SW)

Notes: No in-game spoilers

I dropped the bag on the table in front of Vette and paced in front of her anxiously. She watched me move from side to side, her expression half-curious and half-exasperated.

"You really are nuts, you know? What are you doing?"

I stopped my pacing and faced her. I had practiced this in front of the mirror for some time, so I was ready for the moment. The corners of my mouth twisted ever so faintly into a smile. I had smiled previously, of course, but not in the way I was trying to now. It was harder to make a genuine smile than I imagined.

"It is a gift." She eyed me suspiciously. "For you," I added helpfully, straining to maintain the smile.

Evidently that was sufficient for her, as she placed the holo-novel she had been reading down on the table and reached for the bag. The contents squished as she did so, provoking another suspicious glare from her before she reached in and pulled the gift out.

"It's a...severed head." She stared at it for what seemed like an eternity. "You gave me a severed head. Is this what you crazy Sith do at birthday parties too? Severed limbs, dismembered bodies?"

I was confused, this was not what the manual had said gift-giving would be like. I shook my head furiously.

"This was the gang-member that you mentioned. From Nar Shaddaa. I thought you might like his head as a trophy, to display on your wall so all might tremble in your presence." My mind drifted for a moment, wondering whose head should adorn my own cabin.

"I'm just going to read in my cabin. Without any severed heads to watch over me" And with that, she was gone. She even left the Bothan head behind, as well.

I sat down and pawed it sadly. I had much to learn when it came to socializing.

Character: Amitia (JK)

Notes: No in-game spoilers, continued references to older pieces because I enjoy being self-referential :p

It was day after the season finale of Game of Sith, and the funereal atmosphere that came when each annual chapter of our lives came to a close was omnipresent. Kira was less perky than usual, Rusk's statistical analysis was 11.6% slower than usual, Scourge's frown was so long that it was in danger of inverting, and Doc....well, I preferred not to think about Doc if at all possible. So I won't.

The Galactic Plaza Hotel wasn't the best one around Coruscant, but it did fine for these stopovers in between missions. Nice rooms, good room service, and the concierge was the best looking Devaronian this side of Commenor. As I entered my room, I found a package, gift-wrapped with cute wampa wrapping, on my bed. I grabbed it, and read furiously.

"Dear Amitia, sun of my heavens. Today is a dark day that is made ever-brighter by you being here."

I blushed slightly and smiled, then ripped the packaging open to find an 48-count container of cream-filled chocolate eggs.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

My excited response must have made its way through the walls, because a curious Kira peaked inside my room from the hallway. "Looks like you've got a secret admirer, boss. I bet it's Lord Praven." She snickered at her own joke.

My cheeks turned slightly red at that. "It's probably just Doc, nothing to be too excited about."

She smiled, before turning her voice mock-serious. "Truly. We have a galaxy to save, and we can't waste time playing amateur detective determining who thinks so highly of Amitia Khoury that they give her premium chocolate as a gift."

I threw my stuffed wampa at the door. She ducked and shut the door behind her, making her escape. Left alone, I lay back down and let my mind wander, trying to decide who i wanted the chocolates to be from.

Oh, stars, don't let it be Doc.

Edited by Lesaberisa

Incoming Thread Spam, since I'd rather have these things on separate posts.

Comments and Replies:

@Euphrosyne: I liked Aly trying to explain the significance of the butterfly knife to Jaesa, and Jaesa clearly not getting it. Jaesa’s disdain for a simple, sharpened piece of metal as a weapon is so obvious. She must be the only one who makes Aly uncomfortable.

@Alaurin: Ah, Mallay and Aric, there are no secrets on a small spaceship. Especially after the photography incident.

@Bright: The two with Vierce and Elara were really sweet. Nearly the same situation, lightyears apart in feeling. What a difference a couple of years made for those characters.

@ Lesaberisa: I’m sorry. :( I get terribly attached to my pets, even ones that aren’t affectionate, like snakes, fish, and insects. One of the toughest things about having a pet is knowing, when you get that playful little kitten, that you will outlive it. But I’d still take that time with the pet over the same time without.

In that vein, Malicineve is like the cat who brings home a parade of dead animals and can’t understand why the humans don’t appreciate her gifts. Her mind and Vette’s are just that far apart.

In Amurri’s story, I like how you convey the way a bounty hunter is a middleman, knowing next to nothing about her client and target. At the same time, they obviously have a whole load of history with each other.

And please don’t let it be Doc.

Title: Bitterness

Character: Varrel Umrahiel

Occurs two years post A Special Mission. In chronology, after Spirit Festival. Sort-of spoiler for the Grathan quests on Dromund Kaas, no class spoilers.

Varrel’s private transport paused at the entrance to the estate, waiting for the gate to open. He spotted a flash of red in the forest outside the window. A second look showed it was not a rival or an enemy. Quite the contrary.

Shedri mushrooms were a traditional food for expectant mothers and an ingredient in spring stews. Vette returned with a beautiful specimen. On a whim, instead of delivering them to the kitchen, he took them to the garden. Set the log against the stump of a masu tree removed after he took over Grathan’s estate.

The Shedri liked Dromund Kaas’ close, humid environment. As he could see, spores already spread outside his walls. Given their revered color, Sith might refrain from consuming them. Perhaps even removing them. Maybe in a hundred years they would carpet the jungle floor. With any luck, he’d be alive still to see it.

The Empire granted much in return for his service. This was his gift in return, a gift from a conquered world. It was only fitting that they invaded the heart of the Empire and poisoned the fauna. For what was the will of birds and beasts and other inferior creatures compared to the will of a Sith?

Notes:

The working title for this one was “Invasive Species” until a last-minute change. Varrel isn’t a nice guy, but he isn’t evil just to be evil; there has to be a clear reason, goal or gain. This is a rare example of him understanding the consequences of an action and doing it anyway, for no other reason than it will likely cause problems and make others unhappy.

I was going for a parallel between Varrel being slowly corrupted by the Dark Side and the inverse, Atresian mushrooms consuming Dromund Kaas, with Varrel being aware of both effects. Hence the title. I’m not sure that last bit came through.

Title: Epiphany

Character: Jurial (Consular)

Occurs after Mea Culpa. Spoilers for Jedi Consular Chapter One story, specifically the interlude quest between Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine.

I am convinced Jedi doctrine regarding love and attachment is wrong.

Parkanas touched Laranna Fain, and through him Lord Vivicar poisoned her mind. Turned her toward the Dark Side through paranoia and deception.

The memory of her father, her love for him and his for her, brought her back to the Light.

Like the Force, love has a light and a dark side. The pure, selfless love of a parent for a child, a spouse who would sacrifice everything for their partner, this is the very embodiment of the Light side. Jealousy, control, and abuse, these are the Dark side. Two sides, one emotion.

Two sides, one Force.

Love, anger, hate, all are part of life’s experience. It is what we do with these emotions, how we deal with them, that matters. What separates the Light from the Dark. We should teach Jedi to handle love and other powerful emotions in a positive way, not deny their existence. Doing otherwise is a disservice to all those who serve the Light and the Jedi. Denial leaves powerful Force adepts with no tools to use in emotional crises.

We do not hand a child a lightsaber, tell her to never use it, and expect her to make wise choices regarding her weapon. No, we teach her well, show her its proper use, make sure she understands the consequences when she ignites it. We must do the same for all her weapons. It is our obligation as teachers, as Masters, as Jedi, to do so.

Actions matter. What we do with what we have and why. Lord Vivicar seeks my destruction and the destruction of my order. Because I choose to find knowledge in his hatred, he grants me the gift of insight. An insight that may well help preserve the very order he seeks to destroy.

Notes:

Jurial’s heresy deepens.

Everyone is producing such wonderful stories!

Lady-jean, loving your story and following it on its own thread so I don't miss anything.

Bright, love the two POV's. Also, you know I love Vierce/Elara! I can see him reaching for her after their night togehter and being disappointed when she's not there.

Yoshi, I would think the parents need armor more, but then again Dha has his!

Euphrosyne, Aly's difficulty was very well done! I feel for her, but she seemed to work it out in the end.

Alaurin, loved Mallay's happy birthday! Also, I can imagine that bite marks from a Cathar might be a little difficult to hide ;)

Lesaberisa, your Ayrs/Amurri story was haunting, well written! Love the awkwardness of Mali's gift giving. I never thought of Sith having social deficits but it makes perfect sense! Also, Amita's love of creme filled chocolate eggs would make her Miriah's best friend.

Striges, I almost hate to post after your stories. Your Varrel is always so well done, and has so many layers of meaning. I find it interesting that Vette brought the specimen.

Now, another Gift story

Miriah and crew, no spoilers

Risha and Akaavi were sitting in the lounge, watching a popular holonet show, Risha’s face impassive. She’d been like that for a couple of weeks now, not seeming to enjoy anything, just existing. Akaavi had attempted to tell her a story that had made an entire Mando camp laugh, but Risha just started at her, perplexed. Maybe it wasn’t funny to humans, Akaavi thought.

Suddenly from the hallway to the captain’s quarters, shouts were heard. Risha looked at Akaavi and shrugged, but they both jumped to their feet when Corso came flying backwards out of the door.

“But, darlin’, I don’t even..” Corso was saying as he landed hard on the deck of the ship. He didn’t have his armor on, just the casual clothing they all wore when they were in port.

Miriah was on him instantly. “Don’t even propose to tell me another lie, Riggs. I saw with my own little eyes the note that woman left you. I’m not stupid.”

“But…why? How?” he sputtered, backing away from the angry woman, struggling to regain his footing.

“Doesn’t matter. I told you long ago I do NOT share! Now, go!”

“But I love…” he stopped talking when he saw her prepare to kick him. “Okay, okay,” he muttered, “I’m going.” He turned and opened the airlock, and barely dodged the empty crate Miriah heaved at him as it closed behind him.

Risha and Akaavi were still standing, speechless and still, when Miriah stomped back to her quarters. “What do you suppose that was all about?” Akaavi asked.

Risha shook her head. “No idea, but I bet Farmboy has a bruise the size of a ronto on his butt now.” They looked at each other, then Akaavi gave a slight giggle. Risha smiled slyly, and started to giggle herself. Soon they were laying on the sofa, out of breath, Risha wiping tears from her face. “I’ll have to thank him, if Miriah ever lets him back on board the ship. I needed that,” she said to her crewmate and friend. Akaavi nodded, and took herself to the crew quarters.

Risha picked up their dishes, took them to the galley and went to the shower. She hummed to herself, her funk broken for the time being. She laughed to herself again, remembering Corso’s look as Miriah’s rage blasted out at him. Poor Farmboy, she thought, he is really in deep poodoo. That made her start giggling again. She made it to her bunk, and for the first time in weeks, fell asleep easily.

Miriah activated her holo when it chimed, and saw the face she loved at the other end. “It worked! She was laughing like crazy! Thanks, sugar, I was worried about her.”

Corso huffed, “Well I hope it worked. My rear is paying the price. Those deck plate ridges hurt!” he said, shifting uncomfortably on the bed he was propped up on. “I’m at the cantina, like we planned. Still think you could join me, tell the others you’re still mad and going out to drink and start some trouble or something.” He was pouting, his pride and his body hurting.

“You know ‘Kaavi wouldn’t let me go out alone. It’s just one night, sugar. You’ll be back in the morning.” She stretched and saw his look of longing. “You can, however, tell me what you’d do to me if you were here,” she purred, watching him blush hard.

“I think those parts of me are still scared you’re gonna kick 'em,” he said. “Well, I guess it was worth it if Risha is happier now. I’m not happy, but I will be when I get back. Those parts will be over their fear then, darlin’. Hope you’re prepared to keep your end of the bargain.”

She blew a kiss to him and ended the call, grinning to herself. How Corso could think that twenty-four hours locked in their quarters was only to his advantage was a mystery to her, but she was fully prepared to keep her promise. She only hoped Risha would take her advice and sleep off ship.

Prompt - Health

Title - Sick Day

Class - Trooper

Trooper endgame spoilers

Prudii was having a pretty good day, he decided. Two weeks' leave on Coruscant after Makeb wasn't bad at all, and he was quite enjoying it. Dressed in uniform instead of armor, he was on a date with his wife, Elara, at a street diner in the Old Galactic Market. He was just finishing his nerf stew when Elara looked up at him.

"Sir," she said, "I was wondering, when was the last time you got Captain Jorgan out of the ship?"

"Off-duty, Elara," he said. "Drop the sir."

"Sorry, darling. But the question stands."

Prudii thought about it for a moment. Now that she mentioned it, he hadn't seen Jorgan doing anything except work, work, and more work since General Rakton had been released. He nodded.

"You know what?" he said. "You're right. Let's go get Jorgan out and about."

Aboard the Thunderclap, they could not find Jorgan in either the dorm or the armory. He was not in the cargo hold, either. Finally, Prudii did something he really didn't want to.

He asked Tanno.

"Jorgan?" Tanno replied. "He's been in and out of the 'fresher, all day. Thought he ate some bad meat last night at that Rodian cuisine place, or something."

"Thanks."

Prudii knocked on the refresher door. There was the sound of the toilet flushing and then Jorgan's voice.

"Yeah?"

"Jorgan. You all right?"

"Bad tibe, shur," he said.

Ooh. Congested, too.

"Elara and I wanted you to come out and enjoy a free day," he said. "You've been too busy lately."

"Sorry, shur. I'b nodt feeling bell."

"Vik said you ate something bad?"

"No, shur, I...probise you bon't tell anybody?"

"Yes, Jorgan."

Jorgan opened the door, and Prudii took an involuntary step back. Jorgan's face was drawn, gaunt, and his eyes were yellowed, the formerly green irises looking the color of vomit. His fur was mangy and he had bags under his eyes.

"Jorgan..." he gasped. "Are you okay?"

"Fide, shur. I am djust going through a Cathar physical probleb. Happeds every twelve years."

"Really? You're going through..."

"Stars no, shur! That was whed I wad thirteen. No, this is djust a growth cycle, like Traddoshads go through. Odly I dod't shed, I mange."

Prudii winced. "All right, so bad time then..."

"Ya tdink?"

Jorgan darted back into the 'fresher and Prudii heard sounds of vomiting.

"I'll just come back later, then!" Prudii called.

So yeah, reference to Jorgan's model being glitched. Had to be done.

Apologies for taking so long to get caught up!

Comments:

@Lady-Jean: I am really enjoying Maldecka's story so far. One of my favorite parts is when Sellanni found a way to get her to study basic....giving her half of an exciting adventure story in her native language and the other half in basic after she was hooked was a very creative way to teach. I taught for 5 years before staying home with my children and there were a few times that I had to think outside the box to get through to my students. Well done! I am working on getting better caught up with your own thread.

@Selentar: Oooo, another intriguing installment, can't wait for more!!!!

@sthrift: hehe, poor Torian and loved Altest.....poor Corso killed the mood, but at least got to know her feelings. :)

@Stirges: awww, Toothy. :( Losing a pet is never easy, whether you are a child or an adult. Also,

Actions matter. What we do with what we have and why. Lord Vivicar seeks my destruction and the destruction of my order. Because I choose to find knowledge in his hatred, he grants me the gift of insight. An insight that may well help preserve the very order he seeks to destroy.
very well put!

@EverSteam: I am absolutely loving Audra and I enjoyed reading that last bit that gave us some of her back story.

@Bright: Loved the gift to Vette from Ananz.. Also, Vierce and Elara...awwww. I know I always hated when my husband had to travel....waking up with his half of the bed empty always put a damper on my day so I feel for Vierce.

@Magdalane: awwww, poor Maura and Aric having to spend their leave apart. I am glad he came back early and they got to spend her birthday together.

“No, you don’t, “ she told him. “You’re the gift. And you’re here with me. That’s what matters.”
loved it! :) Also, loved the way Miriah and Corso cheered Risha up!

@Yoshi: There are times that I think my 6 and 8 year olds need armor.....love it! Also, I loved the bit about Aric. I was so very tempted to do a bit explaining Aric's recent, scary, appearance change....I was thinking somewhere along the lines of an attempt to bond with Vik that went horribly wrong.... a bender with bad alcohol. I just didn't have the time.

@Euphrosyne: I giggled at Alypia explaining her gift to Jaesa, very fun to read!

@Lesaberisa: Oooo, loved the Amurri/Ayrs piece!!! Also,

I sat down and pawed it sadly. I had much to learn when it came to socializing.
made me giggle....poor Vette!! Oh, and I really hope it isn't Doc either!!

Replies:

@Marissalf:

Alaurin, Ooooh, I really want to know what Jorgan’s afraid of. This is gonna be good
oh, his time will come.....

@Bright:

@alaurin, Jorgan, you big, mean...okay if I saw my CO go at a garter snake with an assault cannon I would be less than gracious, too.
in my...err Mallay's defense, it could have been a level 5 dark side garter snake?! Also, glad you liked Mallay and Jorgan's little moment and
I hear you on the 'writing out of order' thing. Jumping around Vierce and Elara's timeline nearly gave me an ulcer as I tried to work up the appropriate ire...wait, no, affection...wait, grr, hatred...
seriously, I think it will end up giving me some sort of complex at some point....

@Lesaberisa:

@alaurin: So I guess Mallay moved on from the Wookie? Poor Wookie
HAHA! Yeah, she couldn't stand the barking.....and Jorgan is a pretty good kisser.

@Stirges:

@Alaurin: Ah, Mallay and Aric, there are no secrets on a small spaceship. Especially after the photography incident.
I know....too many shenenagans make it difficult for those romance moments....but hell, they sure keep things lively. I am sure Mallay and Jorgan will think of something.....eventually. ;)

@Magdalane:

Alaurin, loved Mallay's happy birthday! Also, I can imagine that bite marks from a Cathar might be a little difficult to hide
Thanks! and while they are difficult to hide, I am certain they were fun to get! :D

Edited by alaurin

Ridiculously behind on comments, but not the reading — I've been enjoying everything! Comments the next time around, I promise. :o

NotLP: Worst Day Ever

Character: SI Anaelia

Timeline is pre class stories, so no spoilers. It's been ages since I've written anything for this character, so I'm linking to her first entry for reference.

Warning: Non-consensual sexual situation

“Anaelia, you’ve been avoiding me.”

Lord Romari’s smooth voice has a playful edge to it, but I’ve heard him use that tone before. It’s just as terrifying as if he’d yelled, perhaps more so because it always leads to some girl following him back to his chambers. And those girls either leave in tears or don’t leave at all, their fates becoming rumors the other slaves whisper about in the corridors.

And now he’s using that mischievous tone with me.

“I- my master had me working at her residence the past few days, my lord.”

He licks his pale lips and takes a small step toward me. “I should speak to her. She shouldn’t hide you away, not a pretty face like yours.”

My supposedly pretty face feels hot; he can see me blushing, and he knows I won’t resist him. Who could? Even wealthy, free women would give an arm or a leg to be with him. And I’m nobody, a slave. I should count myself lucky to have his fleeting affections. It’s better than the alternative, I suppose. Better than death. But just slightly.

I know how this will go. He’ll use me until the next pretty girl walks past him in the citadel and I’ll be disposed of, one way or another. I imagine for a moment what it would be like to be genuinely adored by someone as powerful as Lord Romari, doted on, touched. But it’s not real. It would never be real. A man like him could never muster such kindness.

“You’re afraid of me.” He says it as fact, and I don’t deny it. “I can change that.”

“Yes, my lord.”

He chuckles softly, then turns serious, moving behind me to whisper in my ear. “I’m going to send for you later, and we’ll see whether you still need to fear me.”

His breath on my neck tickles, and my own catches in my throat.

No, it may not be real, but it might buy me a little more time.

###

Lord Romari’s chambers smell of spice and liquor, not so different from the cantinas of Nar Shadddaa I visited with a former master years ago. I look around, take in all the opulence while I still feel free to do so, before he comes in and I shift my gaze toward the floor. I don’t want to be here. I’d rather be anywhere but here, mucking out rancor pens or clearing brush in the jungle, anything else in the world. But that’s not—

“There’s my lovely Anaelia.” His smooth voice in the dark cuts through my thoughts, and I bristle at his presence, hopefully not visibly. “And you wore your hair down. That’s a good girl.”

I can’t quite make out his face in the dimly lit chambers. I suppose it’s handsome; there’s a million other women who say so. But I can see what’s really behind the pleasant mask. He’s the worst kind of monster — beautiful enough to lull people into submission, evil enough to do things most would never dream of.

He moves behind me, brushing my long hair over one shoulder. Chills run down my spine, but still I remain frozen in place as his whiskey-soaked breath touches my ear.

“Take off those robes.”

I do as commanded, slowly, reluctantly, still holding out hope that he’ll change his mind and let me go back home. Instead he watches in silence, obviously pleased with all the power he holds over me.

I scarcely remember what happens next, and I work very hard for that small luxury. When he takes me to bed, I close my eyes and push everything away — the scents, the sounds, his weight on top of me — until I’m void of all senses and there’s nothing left of me. The numbing darkness is my safety, and I hang on to it until he finally lets me go.

Comments!

@alaurin Poor Mallay, she seems to have an unending supply of embarrassing quirks. I love her and Jorgan. The blending of the gift part of the companion line was a nice touch.

@bright Re Ruth: It's hard to imagine truly dark side Ruth. I've only seen a hint of it during and after Corellia then it's referred to later and the aftermath is shown. For some reason makes DS!Ruth kind of terrifying.

Re Ananz: Ananz and Vette :) eee. Alternate perspectives, *smashes Ananz and Vette's faces together* now keeeees. For Mellekor, he and Jaesa are perfectly awful together. I always feel a bit sorry for DS Jaesa because it really is the work of the SW to completely warp her mind, but she just takes so strongly to the darkness that... just... yuck. Mellekor regretting her but going along with it makes sense in that she's a perfect weapon at his side while remaining someone he doesn't care enough about that she could be used against him emotionally. Still, ick.

Re Vierce: Dear early Vierce, You are a mean meanie that has meanness and is also mean. Dear late Vierce, Thank whatever god or gods you worship that Elara forgave your very cute but very dumb butt. Dear Elara, Never stop being adorable.

@Euphrosyne That conversation between Jaesa and Aly, very sweet. I can imagine someone with a sad childhood like Aly finding it really difficult to explain her past to someone like Jaesa or anyone really.

@Lesaberisa loved the piece with Ayrs and Amurri. BURN IMP SCUM.

@Magdalane You went back to Lucky! So sweet. As to the story with Maura, the gift of Jorgan sounds pretty good to me.

@marissalf I love the sadness in your stories and seeing how Rissia was forced to be horrible to Kinka to protect her.

@Striges Re Kirya: About 14 years ago at one of my first real jobs I heard the boss's wife and the receptionist talking about gifts for kids, "Video games for boys, dolls for girls." I had to run out of the room before I could say something that would get me fired. I had similar reactions while reading about Adoko's attitude. By the end I cheered when the squidling ate all the fish. I loved description of Toothy's lifespan and habits. I'm rather sad her eggs didn't hatch but watching the babies eat Toothy might have been a bit more than Kirya could handle.

Re Varrel: I'm glad you went back to the mushroom! I remember the special mission, I thought the mushroom was for him!

Re Jurial: I can never get enough Jurial philosophy! He's very thoughtful about everything, but it does seem that he could rationalize a lot of things.

Responses to my long ago story:

Scourge would never consider a beast to be anything like him. He would be incapable of seeing the parallel, but he would eye Remi suspiciously over the strays comment and she would make innocent face at him.

I loved all the stories!

Comments:

@Lesaberisa, Dark-Ayrs is scary yet still sympathetic. Malicineve had me in stitches, so to speak. As for Amitia's mystery...I'll throw in my vote with "please, not Doc." :D

@Striges, I'm glad you made the title "Bitterness." Fits both sides quite well. As for Jurial, I always love Jurial. Even if these thoughts are going to get him in trouble.

@Magdalane, oh, my gosh, I was giggling as hard as Risha. Poor Corso and his noble sacrifice!

@Yoshi, poor Jorgan...you wonder sometimes what biology surprises aliens will spring on you. At least this explains the nightmare aspect he's been wearing in game lately. Seeing that thing over my shoulder...shudder.

@marissalf, against my usual inclination I clicked past your warning...well executed. Chilling and well written. How awful that she knows, despite his looks, exactly what she's getting into.

Reply:

Dear late Vierce, Thank whatever god or gods you worship that Elara forgave your very cute but very dumb butt.

Every day.

Actually, multiple times most days.

Actually, every time I look at her.

I'm trying to get back into the swing of life and while Kabe may shake her fist at me and demand more of the other thing I'm trying to write, I needed to turn to something else for a little while. So, I want to say hello to all the people who joined the thread while I was elsewhere relearning how to live, and I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know your characters.

For those that do remember me, hi again. I know I wasn't missed, but I missed you guys a whole lot.

So I'm introducing someone new before picking up the scattered remains of my other neglected characters. I don't know if that's the best idea but I haven't written for weeks (monthsactuallyIamsopathetic) and this was the first thing to pour out of me with little trouble so I'm going with it.

NotLP: Worst Day Ever

Ada'lell'eshoko, future Imperial Agent. No spoilers.

It was cold here. The holding cells were closer to the surface and the heating was weak. An acceptable place to hold prisoners, certainly. The frigid temperatures on the face of Csilla forced the people underground. Deep into the planet they had gone, and geothermal power was their salvation.

So logically, political prisoners, terrorists, murderers, and thieves were held in the most uncomfortable place possible; in tiny metal boxes just meters from the surface. The undesirables had no right to be warm, and who in their right mind would flee to the closest way out when that way out was up into the cold?

Few took their chances on a prison break. They would wait for their trial and hope for rehabilitation. Because the alternative was so much worse.

They came for her. She didn't know what time it was, or how long she had been there. There were no chrono devices in view of her cell and the duration of lighting here did not match a standard day. She had counted the minutes for the first few days. Eventually, she had given up.

The men that came to her cell were from House Sabosen but she could not have guessed at their families. Neither spoke to her, only gestured roughly that she was to follow. They left her with a woman who took her down into a bathing house and stayed with her as she washed the grime of captivity from her skin. The woman gave her fresh clothes and when she was dressed, took her to court.

There was a man sitting behind an imposing podium. Three more men sat behind a long scuffed table. They all looked hard at her and did not speak. The woman took the free seat in the room, leaving her charge to stand.

“It is the ruling of House Sabosen, speaking on behalf of all the Acendency, that the family line of Ada is hereby extinguished. For his crimes against House Eshoko, Ada'fenu'eshoko and his entire surviving blood line will be exiled.”

Her throat closed in grief and terror. Her name was Ada'lell'eshoko and she no longer existed to her people.

Editing in a second part, because she won't leave me be. Maybe now I can get some sleep.

NotLP: First Impressions

Ada'lell'eshoko, future Imperial Agent. No spoilers.

This tiny planet was stifling, dirty, and pathetic. That the Council bothered with it at all was an annoyance. That they had “voted” unanimously to send him here on their behalf was unforgivable. He had plans to see that they learned their place. He had patience as well. Lastly, he had his hate. He would be fueled in the long weeks and years ahead. They would never see him coming.

The entourage this planet's puny government had graciously (fearfully) given him was testing. Three of them, all female, teetered along side him clad in nearly nothing but their piteous dignity. They didn't dare touch him, but they swooned over his tainted aura with barely contained terror. The man, with his shabby elegance and fearful darting eyes, droned away about the sights and luxuries of their fair city, his voice pitched just an octave too high and dread oozing out of his skin.

His apprentice was eating it all up with the golden spoon her birth had afforded her. He kept his thoughts concealed behind a sliver mask that showed nothing but the image of the cowering on looker.

He paid no attention to what was said around him, but he watched, and he noticed, and he filed it away for later. So when the suns began their decent and he and his apprentice were left alone, he exited the apartments they had been given and returned to the slums he had been politely, and fearfully, rushed through.

His apprentice deigned not to join him. He would remember that.

The object of his interest was still there, in the spot she had been when he first saw her. Her clothes were tattered and filthy, her head down on her knees as she held a hand up to beg credits from passers by. She was rail thin, her hair growing in uneven tufts from a bad cut, likely by her own hand to sell for food. Her fingers had withered away to just joints moving stiffly beneath skin, and it was that skin that had peaked his interest.

It was shade of blue fading to violet ever so slightly. And it wasn't sun damage, or disease. But he wanted to be sure. A breeze whistled through the twilight and ruffled hair that was pink and he could see by the bad cut and new growth that it was natural. Could she be?

He came to stand before her and she shivered as she felt the evil rolling off him before she even looked up. Her eyes widened with fear, red eyes that glowed preternaturally bright in this oxygen rich atmosphere. Behind the mask he smiled. She couldn't see it but she shuddered again.

“Tell me,” he said, his voice haunting and horrible and hidden. “What is your name?”

“Alelle,” she murmured, the sound shaking.

“No.” The word whipped out and made her jump as though physically lashed. “Your full name.”

“Ada'lell'eshoko,” she keened, nearly gagging on the stink of corruption that surrounded him.

“Do you love the Empire?” he asked quietly.

She stared up at him, her mouth open, unsure how to answer, too afraid to give the wrong answer. He loomed silently over her and waited. Her eyes were too wide, too bright, but finally she whispered, “Yes.”

He smiled again and she moaned with horror and nausea. “I am Darth Jadus. You will come with me.”

Edited by Morgani