View Single Post

funkiestj
06.21.2013 , 02:05 PM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post

Text Macros
One click 'enter chat, type 'inc snow!', hit enter' text macros designed to warn others is completely against the ToS. You need to make a decision - do I take the time to type 'inc snow' to the ops group, or do I just keep fighting this person... Think of it as an evaluation on if you are using a tool that gives you an unfair advantage over somebody not using that same tool.
Thank you for the clear example. Even I understand it!

Now I will diverge into a discussion of your logic behind the rule ... the logic is "a player should have to chose between the delay it takes to type his tactical message "inc g" and fighting -- a macro makes the "inc g" message too easy and is an unfair advantage". OK, but by that logic, using voice chat (teamspeak, ventrilo, mumble) give an even bigger advantage than a single key press that sends the ops chat "inc g".

To condense my argument ...

voice chat with tactical chatter >>> macros for "inc g" et cetera > typing "inc g" ops chat.

So, the comparatively huge advantage of voice chat is acceptable per ToS but the (comparatively) moderate advantage of a "inc g" ops chat macro is verboten? Ooooh kaaaaay.

Spoiler

Quote:

Colour detection and evaluated action macros
The very act of determining a colour of a pixel on screen and as a result then using a specific action is one of the easy to understand examples of what we call automation. As soon as you have two things happening based on one key press, then its against the ToS.
again, thank you -- determining pixel color is very clear -- this is what I originally thought of when there was the rather short and vague statement of "no automation".

Quote:

Sequence clicking
If you have a system set up so that if you hit the same key 4 times likes so: '1, 1, 1, 1' and instead of just firing off whatever 1 is bound to it fires off '1, 2, 3, 4', then as long as you keep it to 'one key == one other key hit' its in that grey area of not true automation. There is a caveat - you can't have the macro determine a minimum time between clicks to work around the global cool down timing and only fire the next button in sequence if the GCD has expired.

If you instead have a system that when you hit 1, it fires of 1, 2, 3, 4 in quick succession or all at once (i.e. one click == many actions) in order to try and fire something that isn't currently in a cool down state then yes, that is against the ToS. Again, one click must always equal one action and only one action within the game.
In my previous post I gave specific examples that you could have answered "yes" or "no". Why not provide your generic rule (e.g. text above) in addition to answering yes or no to my explicit examples. Is it that hard to quote a previiously posted question and type one of
  • yes, that example is allowed
  • no that example is not allowed
  • I'm not sure I understand your example here

---

For your convenience I provide 3 fully specified use cases for you to respond to

Use case 1
  • keycode to ability bindings (guardian class)
    • 1 - dispatch
    • 2 - guardian slash
    • 3- strike
  • user presses the '1' key on his device
  • macro system (in response to the '1' key press) sends the keycodes 1, 2, 3 with no significant delay between keycodes
  • ability bound to 2 is cast, no other abilities are cast

[ ] allowed by ToS
[ ]prohibited by ToS
[ ] example not clear enough to give a ruling

Commentary: dispatch, guardian strike and strike all share the GCD so a single key press (IRL) will never result in more than one in game ability being cast (activated). I expect this to be allowed.

Use case 2
    • 1 - riposte (off GCD)
    • 2 - guardian slash
    • 3 - strike
  • user presses the '1' key on his device
  • macro system (in response to the '1' key press) sends the keycodes 1, 2, 3with no significant delay between keycodes
  • ability bound to 1 is cast (off GCD), ability bound to 2 is cast.

[ ] allowed by ToS
[ ]prohibited by ToS

commentary: I expect this to be prohibited because 2 abilities are cast/activated as the result of a single key press

Use case 3
  • user positions mouse over huttball spawn
  • user presses '1' on his keyboard
  • macro system sends a steam of <right click> events for approximately the next 2 seconds
  • user successfully picks up the huttball (a single action, n'est-pas?)

[ ] allowed by ToS
[ ]prohibited by ToS

commentary: I expect this to be allowed because at most 1 in game action (grabbing the huttball) can result from the single key press. It is also possible that nothing happens as a result of the keypress because someone else gets the ball first.

Use case 4
    1. 1 - riposte (off GCD)
    2. 2 - guardian slash
    3. 3 - strike
  • user presses the '1' key on his device, macro system sends keycode 1, riposte is executed
  • as quickly as possible (0.011 seconds later?), user presses '1' again, macros system sends keycode 2, guardian slash is not executed because it is on cooldown
  • as quickly as possible (0.011 seconds later?), user presses '1' again, macro system sends keycode 3, strike ability is executed (it is never on cooldown, riposte did not trigger a GCD, it requires no mana)

[ ] allowed by ToS
[ ]prohibited by ToS

commentary: This is your very example, fully specified. I expect it to be allowed by ToS. Personally, I don't see that allowing this and prohibiting use case 2 makes much sense ...
---

I thank you for actively participating. I hope you will deign to quote my use cases above and put a check mark in one box for each case.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?