View Single Post

YoshiRaphElan
05.24.2013 , 10:16 AM | #26
Part 2

Chapter 22

The gathering was huge, and Supreme Commander Jace Malcom's office seemed entirely too small for it. Across the back wall stood Malcom himself, with Generals Var Suthra and Garza on one side, and SIS Director Trant, Grand Master Satele Shan and Supreme Chancellor Saresh to the other. At the other side of the office were Jasin, Gareb, Backblast, Dankin, and the remainder of Havoc Squad. Ten or twelve other officers had squeezed in, as well, and the Jedi Council was attending via holocall.

"Would anyone like to explain to me what the blazes just happened?" demanded Saresh.

"Coruscant just got its butt whooped by Black Sun," Dankin muttered.

Gareb gave him a violent elbow to the ribs. Dankin winced and held up his hands in surrender. Aric Jorgan stepped forward uncomfortably.

"Ma'am," he said, "over the past several days I have been held prisoner by Black Sun, along with Zenith, Languss Tuno, and two Imperials. When we escaped, we discovered that we were being held in one of Coruscant's underground reservoirs. It is my belief that this has been in the planning for some time."

"Agreed," Jasin piped up. "And Black Sun isn't smart enough to pull this off themselves."

"Is this the hand of the Empire?" Var Suthra asked.

Gareb shook his head. "No. You heard Captain Jorgan; there were two Imperials held hostage along with him."

"That could have been to throw us off," Suthra said.

"I don't think so," Director Trant said. "I just got a burst transmission from Agent Legate. Black Sun attacked Dromund Kaas, too."

"Which begs the question," General Garza interrupted, "where did Black Sun get so many troops and vessels?"

Supreme Commander Malcom rubbed his chin. "That is the question, isn't it?" he said.

Jasin considered. When he'd fought Black Sun early after his knighting, they'd been an elite fighting force, to be sure, but nothing like this. They'd been a criminal empire, not an army. To the best of his knowledge, they hadn't had any capital ships, certainly not anything with a tractor beam.

"Captain Jorgan was captured at Bilbringi," he said. "Maybe Black Sun swiped some ships while they were there."

"That could be," Jorgan agreed. "With everyone scrambling around because of the unexpected attack, they could have made off with a few ships."

"But not as many as we've seen here, and certainly not enough to attack Dromund Kaas, too," argued General Aves.

Dankin piped up, "But we also saw them on Fondor, and there are shipyards there, too."

"What about Kuat?" Gareb asked. "Or Mon Calamari?"

Chancellor Saresh frowned. "This is a disturbing thought. That Black Sun could raid the biggest shipyards in the galaxy, and get away with a fleet...this needs consideration."

"I'll have assignments for every military officer in this room within the hour," Malcom said. "Dismissed."

"Havoc Squad," Garza added, "stay a moment."

Jorgan nodded stiffly, and Elara dabbed at her eyes. Jasin felt a pang of sympathy for the woman, but he had been dismissed, so he stepped out, watching the holograms of the Jedi Council wink out as he did. Gareb caught up with him.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Gareb asked.

"We need to contact Methic?"

Gareb nodded. "Right. We need to get the details on the Dromund Kaas attack."

"I'll get right on it."

"Wait a moment," said a voice. "Both of you."

Gareb and Jasin turned and saw Master Satele standing there, arms crossed. Jasin smiled and bowed to her, and Gareb followed suit. Satele gave a formal bow in return.

"Masters," she said, "I have an assignment for you."

Jasin frowned. "What?"

"I want you to investigate Jasin's vision."

"The one about Revan?" Gareb asked.

Jasin had elaborated briefly on his dream to Gareb and Master Satele after the battle, shortly before the debriefing. Satele had been very interested.

"Yes," she said. "Revan and many of our Jedi were presumed dead on the Foundry. But if he is alive, he could be a great ally in fighting the Empire."

Jasin nodded. "We'll get right on it. Do you know of any planets that fit my description?"

"I've compiled a list," Satele said. "It's already being sent to both your ships' computers. Get right on it."

Jasin bowed at the waist. "Yes, Master."

"May the Force be with you both," she said.

They turned and walked out of the room. Gareb leaned in close to Jasin.

"All right," Gareb said. "You get started looking at that list, I'll talk to Methic."

Jasin nodded. "All right."

They split off, quickly heading for their respective vessels.

Aric Jorgan stood before Garza, a lump still in his throat. He couldn't believe Prudii was gone. He shouldn't be...it should be Jorgan dead, it should be Zenith or Guss or Quinn, but not Prudii. He was the one, the one who was supposed to win the war with the Empire, recapture General Rakton, put a stop to all the evils the Empire was putting out.

But he was gone.

"First of all," Garza said, "my condolences to you, Lieutenant Dorne. Your husband was a good man."

"Thank you, ma'am," Elara replied.

"Secondly, as much as I hate to do it, Havoc Squad is still needed. So, Captain Jorgan, I am giving you a temporary promotion to Major, and we will find a new private to put in your squad. You must be at full strength."

Jorgan nodded. "I...thank you, ma'am. I'll do my best to fulfill my responsibilities."

"I know you will. Return to your vessel, and we'll send a new soldier that way as soon as we can find one."

"Yes, ma'am."

Jorgan saluted, turned, and left the office. Dorne followed, with Yuun, Vik, Forex, and HK-51 trailing behind. Jorgan slowed his pace so Elara could catch up to him.

"I'm so sorry, Elara," Jorgan said.

She nodded. "Thank you, sir. I...I wish he weren't dead."

"So do I. I'm going to write a post-action report and send news of his death to his brother. Would you like to help me?"

Elara nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Let's get going, then. Black Sun and the Empire won't defeat themselves."