Will those with the pre-order be prompted to download the expansion?

MidichIorian

Or how does that whole thing work? What happens if you don't buy it, will you be stuck on llvl 50?

everyone will download all the code and updates for 2.0.

only people who purchased the Expansion will be able to access Makeb, and level 50+.

• Dev Post
Or how does that whole thing work? What happens if you don't buy it, will you be stuck on llvl 50?

Everyone will download the assets for Game Update 2.0 and Rise of the Hutt Cartel following our maintenance on Tuesday April 9th.

To your second question, part of Rise of the Hutt Cartel is advancing your characters beyond level 50 to level 55. If you do not purchase the digital expansion your character will remain at level 50.

-eric

Everyone will download the assets for Game Update 2.0 and Rise of the Hutt Cartel following our maintenance on Tuesday April 9th.

To your second question, part of Rise of the Hutt Cartel is advancing your characters beyond level 50 to level 55. If you do not purchase the digital expansion your character will remain at level 50.

-eric

So how will this affect those who pre-ordered the expansion, yet have really slow internet connections? I dont have this issue, however i do know some people that have internet connections that will make downloading a rather large patch (2-4GB, don't know the exact size, just imagining amount of content vs size of patch), this will take them several hours, putting them at a bit of a disadvantage as far as leveling with friends when this goes live.

Would it be possible for us to perhaps be able to pre-download the assets for this to avoid this issue?

So how will this affect those who pre-ordered the expansion, yet have really slow internet connections? I dont have this issue, however i do know some people that have internet connections that will make downloading a rather large patch (2-4GB, don't know the exact size, just imagining amount of content vs size of patch), this will take them several hours, putting them at a bit of a disadvantage as far as leveling with friends when this goes live.

Would it be possible for us to perhaps be able to pre-download the assets for this to avoid this issue?

It will be treated the same as any other patch. Not really much they can do about it. I'm sure they could put out some pre-downloads between now and then, but honestly, I can't see them doing that.

It will be treated the same as any other patch. Not really much they can do about it. I'm sure they could put out some pre-downloads between now and then, but honestly, I can't see them doing that.

Ya i figured this, i understand the nature of it, because its hand in hand with the 2.0 patch, it kinda HAS to be downloaded at the time of patch. I personally wont leave my friends behind, and will wait for em to have it downloaded to start my journey to 55 with em, but would be nice if it WAS possible in some way.

-eric

Will all the 2.0 changes apply to everyone on April 9th? Or will they only apply to preorder players?

-eric

Are you sure about that?

Not a major issue for myself before people start thinking I'm motivated by self interest, I have pre-ordered so I get the 5 extra levels. But it seems with 2.0 coming out much of the 'free' content is aimed at level 55, much of the future content will be aimed at level 55 and almost every game play change in 2.0 is aimed at level 55. I think you see theme its around level 55.

Which means drum roll please, a game starved of content for subscribers, premium and free to players alike will have no new content rolled out as part of on going improvements unless you buy downloaded content. Something many people felt should be free especially to long term subscribers. You decided not to go down that route, amazingly STO has gone down the free expansion route showing what can be done. That aside with the dependence on the cartel market (some might suggest over dependence) and this move it would seem Bioware's next step will be to Pay to Win and then perhaps into some child selling scheme?

Bioware seem to be working hard to give the impression they are just about getting as much money out of players as possible and couldn't give a damn about the players themselves or their experience. Now I fully expect to find this has been a misunderstanding and 55 is open as part of 2.0 and not part of the Hutt Cartel. Maybe in a PR stunt but as it stands but its very much a poor way to treat customers. Either the expansion sells on its own merit or it doesn't to force people to get it to get the xp cap seems to segregate the player base to those with and those without.

This dev post from a time back sums fairly well.

"Here is a bit more clarification on the differences between Rise of the Hutt Cartel and 2.0 put as simply as I can!

What subscribers will get without purchasing Rise of the Hutt Cartel:

Class changes and balancing levels 1-50

Any itemization/world changes which affect levels 1-50

Legacy Achievements

What subscribers will get if they do purchase Rise of the Hutt Cartel:

New Operation: Scum and Villainy

Nightmare Mode Terror From Beyond

Upgraded level 55 Hard Mode Flashpoints

Level cap increase to 55

All new Makeb storyline

The new Operation and Hard Mode Flashpoints in Game Update 2.0 are Level 55 Elder Game Content. The level cap increase to 55 is included with the purchase of the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. Free-to-Play restrictions apply. Visit the Free-to-Play Features Chart for more information."

Are you sure about that?

Not a major issue for myself before people start thinking I'm motivated by self interest, I have pre-ordered so I get the 5 extra levels. But it seems with 2.0 coming out much of the 'free' content is aimed at level 55, much of the future content will be aimed at level 55 and almost every game play change in 2.0 is aimed at level 55. I think you see theme its around level 55.

Which means drum roll please, a game starved of content for subscribers, premium and free to players alike will have no new content rolled out as part of on going improvements unless you buy downloaded content. Something many people felt should be free especially to long term subscribers. You decided not to go down that route, amazingly STO has gone down the free expansion route showing what can be done. That aside with the dependence on the cartel market (some might suggest over dependence) and this move it would seem Bioware's next step will be to Pay to Win and then perhaps into some child selling scheme?

Bioware seem to be working hard to give the impression they are just about getting as much money out of players as possible and couldn't give a damn about the players themselves or their experience. Now I fully expect to find this has been a misunderstanding and 55 is open as part of 2.0 and not part of the Hutt Cartel. Maybe in a PR stunt but as it stands but its very much a poor way to treat customers. Either the expansion sells on its own merit or it doesn't to force people to get it to get the xp cap seems to segregate the player base to those with and those without.

they will either buy the expansion or unsub its simple if you are serious about the game you have to buy the expansion its only $10.

Yeah it's like expansions in every other game. If you don't buy it you're locked out of it. What are we going to next start hearing from people how they entitled to it for free? Yeah, I realize that's a stupid question to ask on the boards here.

Are you sure about that?

the advertisements have ALWAYS said "free to level 50"

Will all the 2.0 changes apply to everyone on April 9th? Or will they only apply to preorder players?

The changes that affect anything up to level 50 will affect everyone (e.g. the changes to commendations and the class skill changes). The changes that affect things above level 50 will only be available to those who have the expansion.

Not to mention "that other game" but it has always worked that way with wow. You can't level past the basic level, can't increase crafting skill, can't visit new zones, can't start new races. That's what expansions are, in my experience. But the wow expansions cost at least $40. So $10 doesn't seem that bad.

Yeah it's like expansions in every other game. If you don't buy it you're locked out of it. What are we going to next start hearing from people how they entitled to it for free? Yeah, I realize that's a stupid question to ask on the boards here.

The only thing that gets me is as far as I can recall in other games is that when level caps increase I don't recall ever having to buy my way into the increased levels. Not saying it is always that way but I have never seen it that way in what I've played.

"Here is a bit more clarification on the differences between Rise of the Hutt Cartel and 2.0 put as simply as I can!

Legacy Achievements

Level cap increase to 55

All new Makeb storyline

The new Operation and Hard Mode Flashpoints in Game Update 2.0 are Level 55 Elder Game Content. The level cap increase to 55 is included with the purchase of the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. Free-to-Play restrictions apply. Visit the Free-to-Play Features Chart for more information."

very cool, man. Can't wait!

The only thing that gets me is as far as I can recall in other games is that when level caps increase I don't recall ever having to buy my way into the increased levels. Not saying it is always that way but I have never seen it that way in what I've played.

What games have you played? Because EQ, FFXI, WoW -- all of them had expansions that raised the level cap, and ALL of the expansions cost $ -- most much much more than $10. . .

Legacy Achievements

Level cap increase to 55

All new Makeb storyline

So, let me make this clear, there is no reason to stay subscriber and paying sub, if you are additionally dont buy RotHC, right?

So, let me make this clear, there is no reason to stay subscriber and paying sub, if you are additionally dont buy RotHC, right?

As with the MAJORITY of MMOs -- Correct. There's basically no reason to stay with a game if you refuse to purchase an expansion pack they put out.

The problem i see is they are scaling up current content to the higher level caps. This means i have to buy the expansion to play content I have already been playing as a subscriber. Why do i have to pay 10 dollars more to play content i currently have access to already? In other MMO's where you don't buy the expansion packs you dont get access to the NEW content, they dont bar you from stuff you currently have. So if you dont buy the pack. No more TFB, no more HM EC, good bye to a few flashpoints. UNLESS you buy the expansion pack. Seriously? Come on thats not right.

The problem i see is they are scaling up current content to the higher level caps. This means i have to buy the expansion to play content I have already been playing as a subscriber. Why do i have to pay 10 dollars more to play content i currently have access to already? In other MMO's where you don't buy the expansion packs you dont get access to the NEW content, they dont bar you from stuff you currently have. So if you dont buy the pack. No more TFB, no more HM EC, good bye to a few flashpoints. UNLESS you buy the expansion pack. Seriously? Come on thats not right.

The current content is unchanged to level 50. Again, to be clear, content is unchanged to level 50. Fifty plus is new. You will have to pay for the new content. The new content. If you wish to level your character to level 55 and visit Makeb you will have to pay for the NEW content.