View Single Post

Autorch
03.13.2013 , 07:49 AM | #39
I think I would agree on the helpfulness of barrel rolls. I think that you kind of expect that it does something magical, like you're invulnerable to blaster fire for the 2 seconds or less that the ship is rolling, but that is obviously not the case.

I believe at this point that it really actually does what it does. It's not just a cute graphical effect. It really will evade an incoming shot because your ship really is moving and so is its hitbox. In other words if a shot was coming at your dead center and you rolled at the right moment, the shot would miss because you were rotating around that center point. It's a real dodge and not a fake one.

Thing is that incoming fire happens so fast, and the ship is so big relative to the screen, and the roll loop so tight, that you can just as easily roll into a blaster bolt that wasn't going to hit you, as you can roll out of a bolt that was.

I think the end result is what's already been said--it tends to be helpful but not by very much most times, and it's not necessary to use at all to have 100% completion on these missions.