View Single Post

Ventessel
03.11.2013 , 06:39 PM | #176
As a little bit of an aside, and something of a commentary on the Kaggath in general.

There was an interesting moment in season one of the Game of Thrones TV series, where Cersei confronts Littlefinger with several of her guardsmen. Littlefinger plays something of a shadow game, manipulating people and trying to work behind the scenes. At the end of the their conversation, Littlefinger says, "Information is power" as he threatens to blackmail Cersei. Her response is to command her guards, "Seize him". They do, and she says, "Cut his throat." One guardsman draws his dagger and is reaching for Littlefinger's throat when Cersei stops him, saying "No, wait, I've changed my mind. Release him."

Littlefinger looks terrified, and Cersei reminds him that "Power is power."

What I'm getting at here is that I've noticed, over the course of the Kaggath, is that many people believe that characters like Xizor, G0-T0, and other criminal elements can simply spend and extort their way out of every problem. However, there is a vast difference between the power of crime bosses and kings.

Crime bosses must move entirely in the shadows, and while this at first seems like a strength, it is actually a significant weakness. A shrewd enemy can also dance in the shadows with them, but at the same time wield power openly. The ability to command a fleet, an army, the loyalty of professional soldiers, far exceeds to ability to purchase mercenaries and extort your rivals.

Characters like Darth Vader, or Traya, or Revan all have a duality of power. They employ skilled assassins and spies, but also wield raw authority. They have fleets and soldiers who can move without fear of discovery, and this is a tremendous advantage.

When considering a power base for a Kaggath, remember that it's not just what someone controls, but how they control it. A criminal who survives by hiding in the shadows is always living in the fear that someone will shine a light one them, betray them when they least expect it. A Sith Lord can be betrayed, but such things are not always fatal. They are individually powerful in addition to commanding open authority.

In my opinion, we should probably separate the Kaggath into tiers. The top tier would be characters with access to military, economic, and political power (spies/intelligence networks can also be considered political in nature). Anyone with only two of those pillars should probably only be paired against other people who fall into this "second tier".

Within each tier, then, considerations of the combatants individual skills become more important than the raw availability of resources. Generalship, power in the Force, dueling skills, unique technologies or strategies, etc. will become far more important considerations than simply spending your opponent into oblivion or throwing waves of assassins at them. It would force more complex scenarios to evolve as each combatant plays to their strengths and tries to neutralize their opponent's advantages, resulting in a more interesting Kaggath.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell