View Single Post

Aurbere
02.24.2013 , 04:17 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
You seem to be forgetting the existence of Veers' 9 AT-ATs - the most formidable assault unit that the Empire possessed - these guys are going to cut through Rieekan's forces pretty quickly - especially given their long range capabilities, meaning they can attack before Vieekan fires a shot. I mean, what assault units does Vieekan have to oppose him?

AT-APs - practical bantha fodder, they may have powerful firing capabilities but nothing strong enough to do any real damage on the walkers before the AT-ATs blow them to pieces in a couple of shots.

HAVws - these actually might be a threat, but the AT-ATs have the advantage of height and can deal out damage from above, taking out the turret emplacements on the top which height would have previously protected them from. And Veers has some of his own.

T4-B Heavy Tanks - these things have powerful shields, but could not withstand sustained laser fire from an AT-AT for more than 15 seconds. Their missile launchers might do some damage but they'll be getting blown up left, right and center.

AT-TE - those mass driver cannons will definitely do some serious damage to the AT-ATs but then again, how high could those cannons reach? I also don't believe these things were shielded so a few well aimed, aerial strikes at the cockpit and gunners would quickly decommission this tanks.

AT-XTs - ha! I laughed when I saw these guys. I thought for a moment they might have the advantage of speed but they only move 15 km faster than a AT-TE, not fast enough.

Really the major threat is the snowspeeders. But how many did they manage to take down in the Battle of Hoth, 5? And I believe Rogue Squadron took down three of those and they are absent from this battle. What's more the AT-ATs downed many snowspeeders themselves. I reckon Veers could take out five in this battle, perhaps one or two more - but not before Veers has torn through his tanks and lain waste to his walkers. And in only takes 1 AT-AT to destroy a shield generator.

And concerning Rieekan hunkering down in his base, that won't be so effective when the shield generators are down and the remaining AT-ATs are blowing it sky high.

Its fun being able to do some proper debating. Come on! Fight me!
Alrighty. I'm going off of the Battlefront 2 layout of Hoth for this.

Remember that the AT-AT's don't have the ability to actually enter Echo Base, so Rieekan can hunker down and set up traps within the base and position the bulk of his forces in the Rebel staging area at the 'back' of Echo Base, which I don't believe the AT-AT's can reach. Then it's only a matter of time until Veers run out of troops.

After that, Rieekan can deploy his snowspeeders to flank the AT-AT's and take them out with the tow cables, because by the time they can react, the speeders will have latched a tow cable on them. And then he can also have the Wilderness fighters flank them and hit any remaining AT-ST's with rockets and get under the AT-AT's and hit the underbelly.

Now, I don't think the AT-ATs can get to that staging area, but if they can, then this scenario is pointless as the AT-ATs can flank the rebels just as effectively.

However, I do remember managing to get the AT-AT back there on Battlefront 2 so there's that.
Added Chapter 49 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus