View Single Post

Drebs
02.20.2013 , 01:01 PM | #135
What has happened?

Stagnation.

If SWTOR had come out 10 years ago, it would've been the most amazing thing we'd ever experienced in PC gaming. But the new hotness quickly fades and is replaced by a newer, more innovative hotness. Nothing will maintain appeal forever.

Many MMOs releasing that have been in development have wanted to be WoW. I think its only in this past year, with the lukewarm reception of SWTOR and other games going free-to-play that the industry has realized gamers don't want another WoW. Gamers want something new and unexpected.

I look at something like Destiny, and think maybe that will have what it takes. Or maybe the foundry system in Neverwinter will redefine the MMO endgame. I'm not sure where the next dazzling formula will come from, but some developer will eventually find it, and we'll be amazed again.

In the meantime, there are great games all around, whether for console, iPad, even in-browser. They don't all provide the sense of wonder and exploration a lot of us crave, but there's plenty to be appreciated, just as there is in SWTOR.