View Single Post

Master-Nala
02.16.2013 , 10:39 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Gankstah View Post
A "competent" story is any piece of writing with proper punctuation and grammatical syntax. Green Eggs And Ham is a competent story. Teletubbies have competent writers. Which is where I suspect BioWare dug up the writer(s) of the consular arc.

A previous poster, whom doesn't merit direct quotation, mentioned how saving these masters was not an act "required" of a Jedi and thus makes logical sense in the story. Any GOOD writer would have reserved the Jedi Master title for a player who at least saved 1/2 of the masters and rewarded the ridiculously named "über" title for those players who managed to save all of the masters. Instead they hand these things out like candy. There's no sense of deserved accomplishment.

I mock the order, murder it's most prominent servants, bring about the deaths of hundreds of masters and deliberately disrespect not only the council but every person in my path at every given opportunity and am subsequently granted the highest honors the order has to offer.

THAT, by definition, is bad writing.
You are not complaining about the writing, you're complaining that your choices don't have consequences. That's fair, but realistically, game consequences to story choices hamstring gameplay. Let's say that if you go DS, then the game really doesn't give you the Barsen'thor title or even make you a Master. Well, we know from the killing companions drama that no matter what people say, they really don't want consequences for their actions.

Playing a dark jedi should, as you suggest, mean that the order might afford you grudging respect for dealing with threats, but not the accolades of a light side jedi. Now also, there is no justification for giving you anything special for going darkside. You should just plain lose out.

Doing so would mean that everyone would feel 'forced' to go Light Side because the game doesn't reward you for not doing so. Whether that complaint has any merit, it would be made. You denounce the writers for doing their best to tell a story with some semblance of choice. This isn't a book. It's a game. A game that has to create the illusion of choice as well as try and present a coherent narrative. As I said above, you just didn't like the story. No need to engage in this pointless sophistry. Perhaps play it lightside and you'll like it better.

Playing against the general ethos of the faction is always difficult to portray. Frankly, I think the game would be better if some classes were locked into an alignment. But that's a different argument that goes to game design, not writing. The writing is fine, how it executes in the game is about the best one can expect when the player decides to do everything the character is taught not to do.

Quote:
How any individual with an IQ greater than that of a turnip could defend that kind of story telling is beyond any level of understanding I possess.
I've always found that if you need to resort to insults instead of argument then my point is made.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link