View Single Post

Kabolt
02.04.2013 , 11:39 PM | #26
It is one thing to read up on tanking, but it's another to try and set it in stone, like the rotations for example.
Every boss is different, therefore you should as a tank be able to change and adapt, as well as read the different situations correctly, tanking is never about how much damage you can take...........

it's about how much control and manipulation you can assert over a given situation.

Put it this way, I once read a quote on this forum, which simply said...

If DPS is poetry, then Healing is an art form and Tanking is strategy.

With that in mind it is important to understand your class, understanding comes from practice and knowledge, knowledge is gained via learning and practice, and learning is gained via study.

So use Fraps to study the fight and note the mechanic timings as well as your own, also it is essential to fully read and understand your skills tree, now you may be thinking this is a little in your face, but this is important as there are hidden combinations to be learned.

Now if I may, I would like to use this guys statement as an example of what never to do.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hovergame View Post
Hmmmm ...... lol ? Using a taunt as 2nd spell = noob. yes, noob.

Kinetic Ward just before engaging
Engaging with Force Pull during Force speed to reach the boss
Project
Slow Time
Force Breach
Double attack
Project
Force Potency
Telekinetic Throw

And now, if you want to be SURE to keep the boss, Mind Control, but you probably don't need it, unless your DPS are overgeared and without guard.
The first mistake he has made is to try to elevate his status on this thread by insulting me, what he has failed to understand is that as a tank, I get beat up for fun, I therefore have no ego to bruise, therefore this first statement is a complete waste of time.

The second mistake is to open this particular fight with Force Pull (cooldown 45 seconds) and Force Speed (cooldown 20 seconds), this person is putting himself before the group.

Force pull may be required to pull an add off the healer or if an add has targeted you, then pull him in and kill him.

Force speed should be saved till later in the fight, since this boss will impair your movement by at least 50%, you may also find your cooldown timers slowing, activating force speed will de-buff you straight away.

Rotations are something you really need to workout and experiment with, some tanks will tell you blah, blah, blah, I say read, listen and learn, but do your own homework.

I prefer to open this particular fight with Slow Time, I can do this from the rocks giving me first strike. It reduces the groups damage taken by 5%, has an aoe range of 10 meters and reduces the movement speed by 30%. Also Force Break helps, but it stands to reason that the attack speed is also reduced, it lasts for 15 seconds with an 8 second cooldown.

The most important thing about slow time is that it gives you one stack of Harnessed Shadows, and we need three stacks of it asap, and as often as possible, I just got my first stack and the fight has not even started.

My second taunt, Mind Control, again I use this for several reasons, the first is I get 100% agro before he has caused me any damage.
The second, he is forced to attack me for the next 6 seconds, allowing me plenty of time to move him into position and finish my first rotation.

I don't have to worry about sentinels or commando's.

The third, while he is forced to attack me, he can not use aoe attacks on the group, that's a 6 second window without yellow circles.

Then when it wares off, you'll find that slow time is still in effect and that the yellow circles are reduced in numbers and frequency.

As I have said before it just takes time and practice to be a decent tank. Wiping is just practice for the next time.