View Single Post

Estelindis
02.01.2013 , 07:19 AM | #178
I seem to recall you commenting at some point during the mean Ruth Means Compassion thread that Wynston wasn't very deep. Lies! Take that back immediately.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Look at the treatment of, say, Chinese or Irish immigrants to America in the 1800s, or any of the dirty unwashed race du jour in other time periods. Why would anybody walk into that and still say, for the rest of their lives, that moving to America was a good idea? The alternative must have been worse. I find that concept mindblowing, but then, I'm a pretty privileged creature, so I've never had to weigh anything like that kind of decision.
Just speaking as an Irish person, our reasons for emigration have been predominantly economic. Of these, the greatest in the 1800s was a famine caused by potato blight that hit the poorest worst of all because they had little to no other food; potatoes were the only crop that allowed them to make a living on the tiny amounts of land they could rent (largely renting from the rich landlords who controlled our country but didn't live there, to whom the export of other foods continued even as poor people starved due to the lost potato crop). Leaving that behind didn't mean people didn't love their country or their families (in fact, there's a huge tradition of songs lamenting leaving family, sweethearts, and the beauty of the landscape). It meant people had no other choice. I'm not sure how comparable it really is with what you just described from Wynston's life.