View Single Post

JP_Legatus
01.24.2013 , 10:08 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
It was a correction.

You said it works great against Snipers, but it just makes tanks on par with them. This just works.
Tanking stats do not give even a slight statistical advantage against a Marksmanship Sniper who is the only spec dealing near to 100% of their damage through weapon abilities. It's all about luck in RNG.
If you consider their other specs (Engineering and Fatality) you can't say anymore that they're on par, as a part of their DPS is tech, Snipers get a slight upper hand with these specs.
The word "great" was too much because in the best situation, Tanks do not even get a statistical advantage.

And so, stats works just a bit against Jugg/Merc/Mara depending on the spec, as they are all less depedent of weapon damage than snipers.

And yes, defensive stats are near useless against Operatives and Powertechs.
As the two posters following you stated, Operatives do not use weapon damage unless they can't do anything else, and Powertechs only use RailShot as weapon damage ability, an so, most of the half of their damage output comes from Flameburst, Flamethrower, Rocket Punch, Thermal Detonator, Immolate, Retractable Blade and/or other Tech abilities depending on the spec. When your gear doesn't let you be on par for more the half of the overall DPS, you can as well gear yourself with something else.
I'll agree with your assessment of other specs, but that's exactly what I said: All non-sorc classes have some form of white damage occasionally. Rail shot is a pretty big part of the 2 button rotation powertechs use, so I'd say it's pretty significant there.

And you are WAY wrong about snipers. Snipers who don't use marksmanship? Those even exist? That's like saying I can beat smash with deception...logically true, but you'll almost never see a deception sin in rateds.
The snipers who are inevitably in marksmanship will get their damage reduced by an average of 22.5% from shield/absorb on top of the 30% flat defense roll, and that's before defensive cooldowns using a non-min/max set. If you think reducing damage by roughly 50% while only losing 1/4th of your damage (my sins MH damage goes from 1250-906) after switching to tank gear and endurance stim isn't a big deal, you're not doing your math right. I can face tank snipers with nothing but my lightning spam regen.
The same goes for carnage maras and a few other random specs here and there.
Yes, most of the damage in this game is force and tech. But snipers are useless against a tank, and that's what's up. You haven't corrected anything.
Plaje - 65 PVP Assassin
http://www.twitch.tv/plajje