View Single Post

Altheran
01.17.2013 , 02:59 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
Personally, I disagree. Although it completely depends on how it's done.

For example, myself I do not speak Japanese. Can I watch anime? Yes, most definitely. Heck, I even prefer it watching subbed over dubbed. Not understanding the language, doesn't make me want to punch in the screen.

Nor do I truly speak French. Sure, I can order a beer, buy some bread, etc. whilst in France. But a conversation? No, that's too far. However, I most definitely do not mind watching movies in French with subtitles. It by far makes me want to punch in the screen.

And the same goes for some languages in SWTOR. For example Jawa's making their sounds, are all fine to me. I most definitely wouldn't object to playing as one of them.

But there's also some alien language spoken by some which sounds like some sort of mutant fly is doing the talking. I most definitely wouldn't want to listen to that every quest no.
Hearing Japanese in an anime, and hearing Huttese in TOR are 2 thing totally different.

Japanese is a proper language with a vocabulary, syntaxe and grammar. You won't hear the same sentence all over the time during the anime unless it is a very basic one. You can even start to understand with time.

Huttese is an imaginary language, with no constuction at all, that forced devs to only record 10-20 sentences which bear no particular meaning, and which are chosen depending on its length and or the pauses it contains. In some cases, when you speak to a a NPC, you can hear the same sentence twice, bearing totally different meanings. Granted, the devs has made that it's not current, but it occurs. But now imagine that it's your character who speak an alien language... once you've reached level 5 or 6 you'll probabily have heard all the possible speeches and then you'll hear the same ones again and again all through the game. That's why you would like to put your fist in your monitor like Damion said.