View Single Post

Zandilar
01.14.2013 , 03:56 AM | #5228
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
There are negative counter-implications, too. While you're clearly (and perhaps correctly) implying that the writer team feels that women are more, shall we say, malleable than men (and thus the female NPCs can be bent to the wills of the player and the males can't) there's another side of the coin that, equally, I think hasn't been considered.
That men are stubborn and intractable, and incapable of change?

The way it is at the moment, with just Jaesa, is okay. I'd prefer her to be romaceable for both sides of the force, but if it's just her, the implication is that it is only she that is so malleable.

Quote:
The Force 'alignment' function is, to me, a sign that the writers wanted to put something complex, interesting and dynamic (one might even say 'intimate') into the companions' stories. Why can't male companions have something like that? Providing that functionality to both male and female companions would address both inconsistencies.

I enjoyed the decision-making process that led to my Jaesa's inclinations. That was fun to play through - really fun. I would've loved to have seen that process (perhaps stretched out a bit more over an entire chapter, so you can slowly redeem or corrupt a companion over a stretch of time) for all Force-using companions.
I was going to put a similar suggestion in my post, but I was in a hurry at the time. (Hmm, that's interesting. All the force using companions bar one are female...)

Ultimately I don't like that idea any better, though. The idea that my PCs are the sole moral guide to their companions really just rubs me up the wrong way. Why is it that I'm the ultimate arbiter of their moralities? Aren't they people unto themselves? Don't they have a will of their own?

I have never liked it. I hated it in NWN, I hated it in KotOR. Even if it hadn't just been Aribeth and Bastilla it had happened for (say it was Galen and/or Carth), I still would have hated it.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.