Thread: Driod rights.
View Single Post

Maaruin
01.11.2013 , 07:07 PM | #11
The problem with droid rights is that there is a fluent passage between programmed machines and sentient droids. You can't draw a clear line.

I think things should be handled like this:

1. Forbid memory wipes. With droids, they basically kill a developing person. (Note, however, that this stems from the same attitude which lets me argue against abortion in real life. So this one is up to in-universe-debate, I guess.)

2. Shutting a droid down, scrapping it, sending it on dangerous tasks etc. requires the consent/permission of the droid. Now, most importantly: It is allowed to create droids which are programmed to always agree to such tasks. If a droids starts to say "no", it is a sure sign that it has surpassed its programming.

3. A droid gains the rights of a sentient by asking for them or claiming them. If a droid communicates to his owner "I want to enjoy the rights of a sentient.", the owner has to agree*. He has to bring the droid to the responsible government agency where the droid gets some forms which confirm him as a sentient.

*I imagine some insurances would cover this and some companies would grant XX-years guarantees so you get a new droid if your old one declares himself a sentient.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall