View Single Post

Okamakiri
01.09.2013 , 05:34 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
I hear this a lot - that Merc damage output is fine. But it simply is NOT true. When piloted by a top player, damage output for Jugg & Mara is about 50% higher than for Merc (1. 2million vs. 800k). Sorc damage output is about 25% higher than Merc, with 1 million being a notable mark. Operative damage output is roughly similar to that of Merc, but with higher survivability and much higher utility. This is the nut of the problem - at the higher player skill levels, Merc dps has the lowest damage output, the lowest survivability AND the lowest utility. It is hands down the WORST subclass in the game. Meanwhile BW thinks that Merc dps is OP because it dominates PvP amongst low skill players. BW simply has been unable to understand that there is a dynamic between player skill and class balance that they have not addressed. It has been this way for 12 months.
Dick measuring contests on PVP scoreboards, skewed by loads of AoE, CC, knockbacks, etc. =/= DPS. When discussing actual DPS capability of a class, the only sources that count are PVE parses from top players in the game:

http://www.torparse.com

As you can see, the top DPS classes in the game are Sniper/GS, Mara/Sent, PT/VG, followed closely by Mercs, then the others.

Mercs do NOT need a DPS buff, only a buff to their ability to perform that DPS under pressure. Some of the suggestions in this thread would address that, although I feel they're overblown.

First off, R&G should only apply to Trace Missile/Power Shot IMO. Instant heals on DPS specs are not balanced no matter how you try to justify it. Second, I don't feel it's appropriate on Rocket Punch/Stockstrike. You're giving way too much utility to a single ability: high dmg, knockback, root AND insta cast on next 3 abilities? Way too good. I support returning the knockback to RP/SS in addition to existing root, but I think R&G should be tied to another ability, like Jet Boost. JB's cooldown would also nicely control how often R&G can be applied so you wouldn't have to have that clunky mechanic added on top of the talent that prevents it from proccing more often than every 20 seconds.

Second, dispelling all types of debuffs should not exist on any class. Certain specs are already completely useless in competitive PVP (Annihilation/Watchmen) due to dispells, we do not need to make it even worse.
Blackburn - Assassin, Dovahkėėn - Marauder, Zarakė - Jugernaut, Hamza - Mercenary, Smith - Sniper