View Single Post

anstalt
01.09.2013 , 09:44 AM | #50
1) Removal of Enrage Timers / Improved Mechanics

Virtually all bosses in this game boil down to tank, spank and avoid the AoE. We're getting more tank swop mechanics and a few more bosses with adds but essentially the mechanics of bosses in this game are extremely easy, the hard part is playing your class well enough to heal through the damage and beat the enrage timers.

Whilst I appreciate the desire for people to be able to play their class well, once you have achieved this ability it basically trivialises the entire game. I would rather ditch this requirement and increase the mechanical difficulty of bosses so that even if you have the best DPS on the server, you can still die if you fail to avoid an attack or dont move at the right time etc. I would hope this would open up different class combinations for more bosses, increase the accessibility of bosses whilst making the learning curve for each boss longer whilst farming the bosses would remain as easy as it is now.

For reference, I came from LOTRO which at the time had 0 enrage timers but most bosses were harder than here.

2) Star Wars Theme

This is a fecking star wars game! Where is the Star Wars in Operations??!?! My one and only Star Wars moment in a raid is Kephess: he has the walker (AT-ST) and we get to grapple up to it (Hoth). The flashpoints deal with having your small-group iconic moments and one-on-one-esque moments like the films (false emporer is great for star wars feel). So what happened in ops? Also, where are my epic battles?!?! The films and books are full of epic, large scale battles where everyine contributes and sacrifices but heroes rise up to help win the day. That doesn't happen in game, anywhere, and it's a real shame.

3) Raid Layout

Linear is old fashoined, wings / spokes are the current best philosophy. Enter the raid and get a choice of what to tackle first. Sure, gate the final big boss behind the others, but let us choose the order in which we do the previous ones. For a good example, check out Ost Dunhoth from LOTRO. That raid had 6 bosses (disease, poison, wound, fire, shadow and final boss). It was split in to 3 wings of two bosses each. You could choose which wing to tackle first, fully clearing two wings opened up the third wing with the final boss in it. In addition, the raid only had 9 trash pulls in total iirc, each one was actually challenging and required tactics of their own.

4) Horizontal Gear Progression with a Purpose

Tiered progression invalidates old content and thus should *never* be done again. I hope you learnt your lesson from the original launch and the lack of people doing flashpoints. Change to proper horizontal gear progression. At max level, we should have multiple sets of armour, all with different stat distributions and different set bonuses which are useful in different situations to encourage us to collect them all. Potentially remove modding like we have now so that there is a clear advantage and disadvantage to different sets. For example, one set for shadow dps might reduce incoming damage by 10% but have virtually no power on it, so it'd be a great set for bosses with loads of AoE but bad for standard tank and spank DPS races. however, the player would be able to choose which set to use based on the fight itself and their group makeup.

I know Jeff hickman mentioned in his podcast that they were gonna move towards horizontal gear progression with Makeb but tbh I dont trust him, he's ruined too many games already so it's worth restating the purpose of horizontal gear progression here.

5) Rare Loot Drops

All future instances should have rare (5-10%) loot drops for endgame BiS / comparable incomparables. This is to keep people coming back to old / outdated instances in the hopes of getting that rare item, reward people who stick with the content, offer an incentive for people to help out others in old instances etc. these items should have stat distributions that are truely unique.

For example, if a standard item has 300 points, e.g. an implant with 80 end, 120 willpower, 100 power (roughly distributed), then have a rare implant drop which has 20 end and 280 willpower. Such a drop has the potential to increase someone's DPS significantly so it would be highly desired but it comes at the cost of survivability. An instance farmer who collects all of these items might end up with 3000dps but only 10k hp resulting in lots of deaths.

Such items would offer us much more customising and choice for our characters, incentive for repetition and really introduce a proper meta game with regards to gear, rather than what we currently have which is accepted BiS gear with no alternatives, i.e. boring!

I like the quality of life stuff that other people have mentioned (instant speeders, respawns inside, less trash etc) so I support those endorsements too, however I'd rather see better bosses fights and better mechanics and gear progression so that the raids stay fun for longer.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!