View Single Post

KeyboardNinja
01.04.2013 , 02:56 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
I keep hearing people blaber on and on about the great low cd defensive cooldowns that sin tanks have, where are these magical cooldowns that make us viable and special? Iv only seen one, dark ward, i looked at all the spells sins get till 50, there are no more....the rest are just the same as the cooldowns jugs and vanguards get...same timers...same cooldowns....and i mean the defensive cooldowns, wither doesnt count, its just a threat generator...
Altogether, assassins have 4 defensive cooldowns: Deflection (weapon damage), Force Shroud (tech damage), Overload Saber (lockout-free medpack), and Force Cloak. I use Overload Saber fairly aggressively, and I'm always surprised at assassin/shadow tanks who don't. Force Cloak is another uncommon one, but primarily due to the fact that it debuffs healing. It has to be used very carefully with full knowledge of what you're about to do to your party. I use it absolutely every time I tank NiM Kephess (twice in the same fight if my co-tank dies in the last phase). Similarly, I use it every time on NiM Toth and Zorn (to reset the medpack lockout), fairly frequently on HM Dread Guard, and every time on HM Writhing Horror (to avoid pulling off my co-tank at the start). Also, there's all the situational uses when you need to get someone up and the battle rez is down.

No question though, the bread and butter is Deflection and Force Shroud. Use and abuse the heck out of those cooldowns. A huge part of what separates good assassin tanks from great ones is an active knowledge of the specific fight and the timing of relevant damage (e.g. Force Shroud right before Savage Wounding is applied on NiM Kephess).
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)