View Single Post

Striges
01.01.2013 , 03:30 PM | #2495
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
No offense taken at all. The Jedi stance on attachment in general and familial ties in particular is certainly problematic, and I completely sympathise it being a contentious issue. While I can understand and even, to limited extent, support the guiding ideal of fostering a sense of dispassionate care for sentient life as a whole (there's got to be a simpler way to translate "humanity" to a species-agnostic context ) as opposed to any particular subset thereof, I think the Order's particular application of that philosophy sucks like an Electrolux. It's that tension between ideology and practice that I keep coming back to, and that provides the driving force for this poor messed-up family I've created.

Before I start really pontificating ("too late!" yells the peanut gallery), I honestly do greatly appreciate that people care about the character I've put forward. It's gratifying to know I've somehow managed to stumble into evoking an emotional investment
The particular scene from all (or almost all, I don't really want Jax's, thanks) points of view is heartbreaking. Everyone concerned believes they did the right thing, possibly the only right thing under the circumstances. Zhara's the only one who gets off without a lot of pain, and that's only because she's too young and innocent to comprehend all the subtext. The characters come across as very human, with all the flaws and warts and short-sighted decisions humans are prone to.

In the absence of "species-agnostic sentient being" terms, I'm going with "Human" (capital H) as the specific species and "human" (small h) as "sentient being". Much as "man" in older parlance at least refers to all humankind, and not only the male members of our species.

I have to agree that the Jedi's pursuit of complete non-attachment is ultimately flawed. They replace a small, genetically-related family with the larger "Jedi" family, fostering ties between master and padawan not unlike parent and child. Most audiences see this as hypocritical and wrong. I expect the Jedi's philosophy is meant to evoke monasteries, whether early Christian or modern Buddhist, since both accept(ed) students at very young ages, and yet it somehow fails.

Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
Hm. From a certain (much more Jedi-orthodox) point of view, this becomes a cautionary tale about the dangers of letting one's emotions, especially fear and anger, take control. *ponders*
This really intrigues me as a subject. Because it's not only Maneera who reacted in an emotional manner. Please do ponder!