View Single Post

Macroeconomics
12.30.2012 , 04:00 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
Merc damage is 100% fine where it is. it needs to (sic) fiddling with.
I hear this a lot - that Merc damage output is fine. But it simply is NOT true. When piloted by a top player, damage output for Jugg & Mara is about 50% higher than for Merc (1. 2million vs. 800k). Sorc damage output is about 25% higher than Merc, with 1 million being a notable mark. Operative damage output is roughly similar to that of Merc, but with higher survivability and much higher utility. This is the nut of the problem - at the higher player skill levels, Merc dps has the lowest damage output, the lowest survivability AND the lowest utility. It is hands down the WORST subclass in the game. Meanwhile BW thinks that Merc dps is OP because it dominates PvP amongst low skill players. BW simply has been unable to understand that there is a dynamic between player skill and class balance that they have not addressed. It has been this way for 12 months.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nellsterzzz View Post
I do not approve of this. no other healing class can purge force debuffs except for sorc healers which is how it should be. Sorcs cant cure tech abilities and operatives/commandos cant cure force abilities. If they were to make to change to ALL healing classes then i would approve but it wouldnt make sense.
Why is it that any buff given to Mercs must be given to all classes? isn't the whole point of Mara, PT, Operative and Sorc that they can do something that NO ONE else can? Merc will always be the red headed stepchild until it does something no other class can. Uh, and I don't count that Merc gets laughed at more than any other class as meeting that requirement.

BW has the opportunity to move outside the box in 1.7. For example they could make Merc the anti-stealth class. Give Merc a new ability that makes Stealth Scanner invisible to enemy players and snares them should they enter the Stealth Scanner's radius while cloaked. Give Merc an actual role for a team that others can not fill.

But no. We all at this point, realize I think, that what will happen in 1.7 is a minor buff to Merc, combined with more nerfs to Merc. BW still thinks Mercs are OP. Until that changes, the problem will never be resolved.