View Single Post

rpeplins
12.13.2012 , 10:39 PM | #49
I was just thinking about this type of thing tonight when two people were going at it in General.

Definitely worse on the fleet than anywhere else, which is only natural.

I agree that the people who participate in the name calling and small minded vicious behavior are likely victims of poor social integration, through bullying, abuse, poor parenting, etc.

That being said, it's an interesting phenomena that these "conversations" happen only on the public channels. The conversation is almost 100% of the time only being participated by 2 people. It's really the chance to do this in public which seems to interest these types of people, to be seen as the most crude, the smartest, the most "bad-***".

So I would guess that these people are desperately seeking some form of approval, acknowledgment, attention, to try to fill the hole where their self-esteem should be. Acting out, like any child needing that warm feeling that comes from having people pay attention to them, good or bad.

It's a shame that they have to seek out this crappy form of self-worth in a forum that won't help them solve the underlying issues. A forum that brings them into contact with other people who are in similar straits and reinforces the idea that it will make them feel better to belittle others, use foul language, insult people, etc. Thus the problem grows without the interventions that the real world would bring into their life that would show them they have better options than bad behavior to gain approval and grow their self-esteem.