View Single Post

Goretzu
12.13.2012 , 07:25 AM | #527
Quote:
Here's the real point I thought was interesting and keeping in the spirit of Thelrage's post several pages ago. It indeed does matter what any game company does - they have the ultimate control. As several of use mentioned a few pages back, the direction the industry is taking is clearly more towards the F2P or Freemium route because the numbers prove that this has become a lucrative business model. Businesses are in the business to make money, therefore they will choose the path that gives them the best margin of profit.

If indeed the process of selling top tier gear in a cash shop pans out and provides enough of a profit to sustain a game, then why wouldn't the company take this route? We can debate the merits of doing so all we want, but if the numbers show that this is a sustainable model, then it's one the industry should take because it will be the one that keeps the industry funded and therefore able to continue to create new products. We can apply whatever term we want to it, we can hate it all we want, but just like the commercialization of Christmas, if it keeps a company in business, then it must be done, and should be done.
They would, this is why P2W once introduced (as it had been) will inevitable expand to destroy the game.

But you're confusing a game making a company money with a game in any way being worth playing, any game that makes money (especially in the short term) doesn't mean it is a health or good game, it just means it is making money for the game company.

Look at WAR dead in a development sense for more than 2 years now, but still making a profit. Does that make it a good game? No.

Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
OK, just one more time because the real reason I am responding is below.

It my be ludicrous in your opinion, but that doesn't mean the facts do not bear it out. By definition of each word in the term P2W - you must pay money to win something correct? If you are not winning something in game, then how can any term with "win" in the use or definition be applied??
Again, this is by your own admission - you said we are not winning anything, therefore how can P2W be the correct term to apply to the condition. You need to create or find a new term that applies to the circumstances that occur. This is not my interpretation of the term, but the actual accepted definition of the word "Win" which I presumed from your comments that you agree with.

When your postion has selling top level PvP as "not P2W", it is a position so ludicrous that it is simply not possible to have any debate. And anything you have to say on this become therefore pretty meaningless.

Fair enough you believe that selling top level PvP would not be P2W (under the terms of your very specific defination), that is up to you.

However you'd find yourself in a very small minortiy of people (probably of 1) agreeing that selling top level PvP gear "was not P2W".
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1