View Single Post

BJWyler
12.12.2012 , 10:52 AM | #415
Quote: Originally Posted by TheIrage View Post
Folks,

It is futile to keep going on an argument weather 1.6 and even 1.5 have brought us P2W. There are not presently accepted definitions and is a derogatory term currently evolving at forums level much like this one.

One can only use simple logic to attempt to analyze the term. I wrote several post now and to me it is pretty clear from a basic argument that 1.6 has brought Pay to win. To me winning on an MMORPG is parallel with progression. Since the items one buys from the Cartel Market (PAY) can be used and enhance your level of progression in the space minigame ( WIN) , one is Paying to Win. This is irrespective and uninfluenced by pragmatisms such as the number of people that do/did space missions, the long term good or potential of the game, etc.

So again, to me SWTOR has brought P2W with 1.6 and even 1.5. But perhaps a more important and interesting topic is to truly open up and discuss about the future of gaming. Potentially, this is good for the gaming industry; and the customer.

I will add also to what our resident BW PR representatives have already mentioned. No one is required to purchase anything. What is more, if you are agains P2W, you eventually benefit from it. Those purchasing the items ( who wont be you) are potentially improving your gaming experience by providing revenue to the game developers. Hopefully some of that revenue comes back as game content and much needed improvements. Compare that to subscription model. This however, is all fine as long as P2W does not spill over the competitive portion of the game or the core progression, then it is a different story/argument.

So to sum up, 1.6 brought P2W. It is an opinion based on fundamental concepts. Yet, it is not productive to continue engaging on definition arguments. I think time is better spent discussing the potential good or bad of this business model spreading through the gaming biosphere because, lets face it, the subscription model is probably dying and, in the age of growth and capitalism, micro-transactions win.
I have no objection. I would like to see a discussion on that - anyone opposed?

For the wall of crazy, perhaps we can form a conglomeration that perhaps can either form a definitive use for the term or appeal to an "official" industry source to define the term for the future. Now that would be something.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more