View Single Post

Ventessel
12.11.2012 , 04:21 AM | #136
This is just a general commentary on the policies of the Jedi during this time period.

If you're sworn to defend the Republic, and it's being attacked by the Mandalorians (******, pillaging, barbarian hordes tearing towards Rome... er, Coruscant) it seems to me that your first thought should be "How do we stop these guys?"

If you think there's a shadowy threat lurking behind the obvious one, it makes sense to take out the first threat ASAP in order to give yourself breathing room to prepare against the more dangerous threat. When you're fighting two people, you outflank and kill one without stopping to think, otherwise you'll be outmatched and killed.

Aurbere's suggestion of entering the war as advisers strikes me as foolish. Placing Jedi on planets to defend them? That can only lead to Mandalorians concentrating their forces on one planet at time and killing a few Jedi here and there. Defensive war is suicide, particularly in an environment like space that affords so many avenues for attack and maneuver.

My conceit is that Revan saw and understood that the only way to win was by taking the fight to the enemy and concluding the war with all possible speed to prevent a battle of attrition that just burned away lives. It seems he was aware of the threat posed by the Sith Empire, and sought to unify as much territory as possible to prepare for the coming onslaught. His use of the Mass Shadow Generator to kill his own troops was underhanded and devious... but he was very pragmatic, and knew that those who wouldn't turn with him might as well die fighting the Mandalorians rather than have to be killed by his own loyalist forces.

As for choosing to sacrifice some Republic worlds in order to attack Mandalorians... well, kids, this is war. Only a fool believes he can defend everything, everywhere. If it's not going to kill you to lose a certain planet, but a strategic victory can be won by striking elsewhere, then you use the fact that your enemy has committed to attacking a lesser target in order to outmaneuver him. This is what I liked about Revan, he reminded me very much of General Grant, taking command of an army that wasn't sure of itself, and crushing a warrior culture through ruthless calculation and efficient leadership.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell