View Single Post

Arvig
12.10.2012 , 06:59 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by bahdasz View Post
Or...

Let people exercise their freedom of speech. You're on a keep the forums holy crusade, I'm on an identify and crucify all the stupid people crusade.

If others have the right to cry and moan about the stupid, idioti stuff they do on the forums, I should have the right to call them on it without some other crybaby trying to get me banned. I don't tell them they can't have or voice their opinion, why should anyone think they can do that to me (or anyone for that matter).

People need to toughen up and stop getting their little feelings hurt over every little thing, some times people aren't going to like you or your ideas... and they're going to tell you about.
The issue isn't someone crying over someone disagreeing, or "crying" over someone not being a sycophant. The issue is behavior that is disruptive and/or against the game's EULA.

I found it somewhat ironic that you link that Wikipedia article, and within the same article is this paragraph. To quote from it in part:

"According to the Freedom Forum Organization, legal systems, and society at large, recognize limits on the freedom of speech, particularly when freedom of speech conflicts with other values or rights.[38] Limitations to freedom of speech may follow the "harm principle" or the "offense principle", for example in the case of ***********, or hate speech. Limitations to freedom of speech may occur through legal sanction or social disapprobation, or both.["

Some chat I've seen in general chat does cross that boundry IMO.

Finally, you don't consider one last thing. SWTOR isn't ran by a government. It's a private ran game with it's own EULA. As long as that EULA doesn't break any laws, it's a contract that you in effect signed when you agreed to it's terms. Why is this important? They can do pretty much what they want that isn't illegal. If they wish to ban every third person just because they can, or give out week long suspensions for usage of the word "Snugglebunnies" or some other absurd act, they can.

So no, you disagreing isn't a bannable offense and in fact if someone suggested it, I'd defend your right to this post, even to the point of implying that people need to stop crying. BUT, before you draw the "Freedom of Speech" card, understand what it does and does not cover.

As an aside, that doesn't even cover the fact that the members in this game are from literally all over the planet, from nations with their own Freedom of Speech laws, or in some cases lack of them. What then? If person A from his nation reports B from their nation, each being different, if we could even apply Freedom of Speech laws, do we use nation A, or B? Or the game's nation if it differs from A or B? If so, do we base it on the USA, where the servers are located if they have any outside of the USA (I assume the Euro servers and Asian-Pacific ones are still in the USA also but they may not be for all I know) or what? Maybe they have already determined how to work this, not like MMO's and other online services haven't been around for a couple decades of course. But still, what nations Freedom of Speech laws, even if they did somehow apply do we use in such a case?