View Single Post

Pernicia
12.04.2012 , 02:35 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
You know, I've been part of end game raiding in multiple MMOs for 7 years. I've been a raid leader, an officer, etc. I hate when people talk like this when it comes to putting raids together. You make it sound like all you are in a raiding guild is a number. As if all you are to your guildmates is the class you play.

I've been in many a different raiding guilds. I've joined raids for other raiding guilds who needed to fill spots for a night. Let me remind you I've been doing this over the course of 7 years...I have NEVER ran across this type of attitude before, at least not as black and white as you make it out to be.

In my most recent raiding guild, when deciding who to invite for DPS, we look at the player first of all. We consider the actual damage the player puts out (the PLAYER, not the class...), his awareness and ability to stay alive and deal with fight mechanics, THEN, at the very end of everything, we consider what class he is and what other utilities his class brings.

So, contrary to what many people on the forums will tell you, class is actually the last thing you should look at when raid invites go out. People who tell you you'll never get invited to a raid if you're a certain class are dead wrong. Most raid leaders, from my experience and having been a successful one myself, don't think like that. We aren't robots with no emotions that only consider numbers and not the players themselves...

A bit off topic but there you go.
Since you seem to think I'm talking out my butt or something... I have been progression raiding for the last 4 years. I've been an officer and guildmaster. I'm currently a raid leader. I've achieved as high as World #7 ranking as a healer in WoW. I've done progression raiding in this game as a Sniper, Marauder and Sorc healer. When our Sin tank goes on vacation this month, I'll most likely be filling his spot on mine. I do know what I'm talking about.

"Bring the player not the class" is true only to a certain extent. Fight mechanics preclude any group from stacking melee. Sure you can have more than 2, but you're making things unnecessarily difficult for your group if you do. This game is not melee friendly; that's not really up for debate. Any serious progression group is going to bring a Marauder. Along with being one of the top parsing classes, Bloodthirst is too good not to have on burn phases (last 10% of TFB, Kephiss, Toth and Zorn, etc.) This is the most blatant example of "bring the class". We went as far as having someone level up a Marauder 2 weeks into EV progression for this reason. As I said above, you're realistically competing for 1 spot as a Sin DPS. Blame the game design if you have to, but that is the sad truth.

That being said, if you are skilled enough, there's no reason not to take you. I've run with an excellent DPS Sin before and, if he were still playing, would certainly bring him along again. I would not, however, handicap the group by using 3 melee DPS or skipping a Marauder to do so unless there was no other choice or we were on farm content where it really doesn't matter.
Pernici the Furious
<Night Stalkers>
Server: The Harbinger