View Single Post

unluckyperson
12.02.2012 , 05:17 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by althene View Post
That honestly looks like a variation on the old IronFist build.
You are correct, the build is a variation of sorts on the Iron Fist build which I know is not viable anymore. At the time I posted this, I had found the Iron Fist build as an example of a vanguard tank build. I read some amount of material on tanking and I was trying to think of a way to maintain the higher damage mitigation.

I was debating between 2 points in Shield Cycler or 2 points in Ceramic Plating, I didn't realize what i posted was 2 points in Shield Cycler. So the obvious thought process behind Shield Cycler is that it could be useful to recharge ammunition. However that's unreliable in PvP at best. Ceramic Plating is . . . not much better because of the absorption buff, but the immediate and constant benefit is Adrenaline Rush . . . which I have no idea how useful it is in PvP.

The one thing I am confused about your response though is when you say:
After that, maybe 2 points in the shared tree to leverage the damage you're getting from stockstrike, especially considering this is one of your core abilities.
I don't think I know exactly what you're talking about. I believe you're referring to Heavy Stock. I'm just not sure if it's useful because when experimenting with builds I noticed without Static Shield I get a lot less use out of Shockstrike.

Another option is 1 point in Static Surge to pick up that free AoE blast when you charge into a group (it also has the added bonus of reducing the damage done by all opponents hit buy it). Static Shield isn't really a bad option if you're trying to leverage even more stockstrike hits, but since you aren't really stacking shield rating for PvP anyway, it's use is quite limited.
I've found when experimenting with the build that TipsyDrow posted, earlier in the thread, that the lack of Storm is really annoying. I also find I have trouble with maintaining ammunition levels, which is one thing that I like about Static Surge, it gives me some time to recharge while I blast off some AoE. However I don't know if this is a playstyle problem or if it's because I'm simply not high enough in levels yet.

I really don't know what to say about Static Shield. I love it in PvE (mostly because it works a lot), but in PvP I don't see my shield go off much. I mostly just get stunned to death. I also don't really know what is good equipment for PvP as a tank because stacking shield isn't particularly useful, probably better than stacking dodge since you don't get interrupted, but it's not the best option. Stacking defense in PvP, is similar to stacking shield. So other than Aim, Endurance, and Expertise I really don't know what I should be aiming for.

I believe Alacrity may be very useful . . . but I already have trouble maintaining ammunition, if I get a lot of alacrity I don't see how that would help my problem. Though again I do have to admit, there may be a problem with my rotation.

Again thank you for your time and input.