I work in IT, and I can totally relate to the woes of helpdesk support. That said I'm also more prone to point out the whole reason for "CS" is to help the customer resolve issues. Currently, BW CS is very poorly seen as "Doing Good Work" and needs a face lift on PR Image. Here are some suggestions:
FIX things immediately on the spot
– customers can’t see your log files to PROVE they lost things.
Stop closing tickets immediately
- Need an item reset or replaced? Fine – It’s not a high end piece, here is a new one for free (Benefit of doubt).
- No Black Hole Commendations from that BUG? BOOM – here they are (less than two days)
- Your HK-51 doesn’t have gear – no problem, here is a complete set of what he should have. (Not 2+ weeks for patch)
- I just opened my “Transfer Gift” on my toon that hit 20 and only have a PET and no 25 BH Comm’s – boom here they are in mail instead.
- You bought a cartel pack, and it had only three items – here is a free one. ($2.50 real money lost here vs. $15 monthly)
- KEEP Track on the person’s account of “replaced” things so it’s not abused of course.
and sending to “Quality Assurance."
Communicate with your customers
- Biggest issue is lack of communication or follow-up is happening when this happens.
- Maybe track these bugs in Forums BUG #### is “Known” and close ticket with that detail and link.
- Keep them open until patched or resolved – Send updates at least weekly
- Or open a NEW ticket for QA to respond.
- Close these tickets when the patch to said bug is released with a note to customer to “Open a new one if it repeats."
- Closed tickets and no response is bad business.
- NOT reading tickets or asking questions and closing is bad business.
- Example: Asking to reset my name since no option exists. (Don’t close ticket explaining Server Transfers don’t exist yet)
I’m not saying to give away stuff to every single person asking for something, but the STONE COLD RESPONSE and auto “NO” or “Quality Assurance” response is no way to keep customers. (At least subscribers) Right now, CS has a terrible reputation both in Forums and online in general and within the MMO community at large. Take some lessons learned from other MMO’s customer support teams maybe? (Never got rejected in WOW for a missing item when it should have shown up – less than two-day response and resolution most of the time as well)
The cheaper you are with not replacing/giving away minor things ASAP the more negative impact you have with paying customers. I've lost a LOT of items because of bugs on BW's side and very few resolutions. (I'm watching more and more people leaving SWTOR due to lack of good CS - please fix this and you have chance to keep a few more around) - GIVE the CS Teams permissions to grant more items quickly!