View Single Post

sumuser
11.18.2012 , 12:45 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Scovina View Post
What exactly in legacy perks give you pay to win? Rocket boots are a convenience pure and simple. Nothing in the cash shop or legacy gives a player a massive boost that suggest pay to win. It does not diminish your accomplishment that you ground out 4mil creds. The real accomplishment was that you had the patience to save for it. What price would in cartel coins do you feel would be sufficient? $10 in real money $20 perhaps. It is a nice perk to have yes but it is in no way a slap to your face. You still made the sacrifice and that still means something. However with the credit cap CC is the only way to get the f2p players to spend money. They need something to spend it on and I think $5 is pretty reasonable. Besides most of the other global unlocks are similar in price.

Taking your scenario of it needs to be in line for time invested vs cost (assuming it takes 2 hours of dailies per day at a gain of 250k per day) I would need to work at a real job for the equivalent of 18 hours. Now given that minimum wage (lets not worry about higher earners because that makes this even worse) is not an even number lets say $8/hr for just neat math sake, I would have to spend $144 in real money for the comparison to credits earned per hour. There are many variables here because I may make more in credits than you do per hour or even less which makes the real world comparison higher or lower but then this is just about an average as 250k is reasonable doing dallies. Now we are only doing some rough math here but you get the point being that it would make the game cost prohibitive and very out of sync.
The P2W mentality is that it is easier to buy then to grind. In other words, unless you're broke as hell, why would anyone choose to grind out 4 million over spending $5? So my point is lower the cost in legacy to say 1 or 2 million if the CC cost is goin to be at its current rate. I understand that credits - real money is a subjective topic... However my rule of thumb would be to set the cost so that an "average" player would be inclined to see the choices available to be balanced. I understand EA wants to make more money and I don't have a problem with that... But when you start to encourage a community that lacks any sense of *delayed gratification* you, IMO, start to degrade the MMO.

As an adult I completely get and agree with the argument that not everyone can grind hours of game time per day. So for us adults who can afford it, buying via CC is, IMO, fair. But when you set the price such that it would make more "average" subscribers more inclined to spend $$$ over playing the game and "working for it" (even if you have the time to do so) then you not only take away from the player who invested significant time to buy it, you encourage people to just buy things because its insane to spend days earning 4mil when for most adults, $5 isn't crap.

So if you want to sell it for $5 bucks because that's all that perk is demmed worth, then reflect that in future legacy cost by reducing the in-game credit cost to make that option more competitive.

In other words, EA shouldn't, IMO, start down the path of encouraging people just to buy perks, items, armor, ect instead of giving two "reasonable" options. Again, I conceded the final cost ratio is subjective.
Jedi Covenant
Apotheosis | lvl 50 | Bounty Hunter
Utnapishtim | lvl 50 | Sith Warrior