View Single Post

Timarick
11.08.2012 , 12:08 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
I would really like to see where those numbers come from because so far I have no reason to believe them. If the EU didn't sell they wouldn't produce stuff to it.

eitherway, my main concern is that since a lot of the events and characters is tied together in the EU. Change one wrong thing and you might effect several storylines. for instance lets say they make the Vong wars uncanon. Well alright they were rather boring anyways. however that would effect the character development of Jacen Solo meaning no Darth Caedus = the 8 Legacy of the Force books are uncanon, ups!

The same thing would happen if they should decide to kill some key character, lets for instance say they kill of Mara Jade before she originally die at the hands of Jacen. Well, first of all Ben Skywalker might not be burn, secondly Jacen would have to sacrifice someone else to become Darth Caedus = story is uncanon.

Then if that happened the Fate of the Jedi novels would also be uncanon since they are affected by the effects in Legacy of the Force etc.

As I said one stupide move might destroy a great many storyline and THEREFORE Disney need to be careful.

However, if they manage to do that there might come much good out of them buying Lucasfilms.
Look... I'm a diehard EU fan, but dude, there was a lot more than the YuZhonVong story that shaped Jacen into Darth Caedus. In fact MOST of whatever minor development that came out of the New Jedi Order stories were superfluous at best. They could completely cut out the entire New Jedi Order arc, make minor changes to the timeline, and still have Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi play out EXACTLY as it does. Clone Wars wasn't above stretching and retconning the wars from 3 years to 6, and editing several events like the Defense of Kamino and Mon Calamari. Why should this be different?

Note also, what has been released to the press was a VERY brief description of George's notes, which set Luke in his 40s training the new generation of Jedi with its own story. So that DOES decapitate the Vong storyline altogether. So keep your thong on for 5 seconds and think: NEW JEDI ORDER SUCKS. CHANGING IT DOES NOTHING TO THE EU.

And before anyone goes off on the "EU SUCKS" bandwagon, the Thrawn Trilogy and Duology sequel, the Dark Empire Trilogy, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, the Jedi Knight Trilogy video games, all set in post-ROTJ, are critically acclaimed and are all equally AWESOME. It goes downhill in the New Jedi Order, which makes Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi suffer like Episode 3 had to suffer with the stigma of Episode 1 and 2 when it as a standalone was a good movie.

And once more: DISNEY MIGHT OWN STAR WARS BUT IT IS NOT IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT! That still belongs to Lucasfilm in the same way Marvel drives their own ship. And nearly everyone at Lucasfilm loves the EU and always has to remind George of it and make a compromise.

So out of it: No NJO (yay), tons of EU characters like the Solo children, Mara Jade Skywalker, Kyle Katarn, and possibly Ben Skywalker (who knows). So on BOTH sides, give it a rest. The EU is going to permeate the movies whether you like it or not, but I think the filmmakers will have already thought of where to drop the retcon bomb in the place where it would futz the timeline the least.

So let's wait and see, ok?