View Single Post

LordArtemis
11.07.2012 , 09:56 AM | #211
I wanted to post this here since the other thread was closed.

My thoughts and perceptions, not that my opinion is important, but I wanted to chime in.

Quote:
1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.
I agree with this statement, but only CONDITIONALLY. It depends on what part of the game you look at.

Limited physics (at least until overload was changed), overall Star Wars experience, ability to play as a truly evil character, full VO, storylines, environmental graphics, choreographed combat, mob animations, sound, some of the armor designs, modifiable armor...IMO the best in the industry hands down. There are other games that do have quality features similar to some of these, but overall I think SWToR does it the best.

Space combat, game changes for the sake of one type of gameplay that hurt another, anemic crafting, GTN and Groupfinder, lack of customization, lack of standard modern MMO features (transfer, dual spec, chat bubbles, guild perks, achievements (though codex and exploration, as well as titles helps), glitchy combat and special activation, linear pathing on many planets, some horrendous armor designs, bugs that persist since launch are just some of the many items that I consider some of the WORST in the industry.

This ends up putting the game in the middle of the road IMO. What it does right it does the best. What it does wrong it does so wrong it is almost laughable. And in the end it hits a middle mark as a result.

Quote:
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.
Again, I agree conditionally. Based on rhetoric around the net, testimonials from prior players, general game feedback web wide that I have seen it seems this is a true statement...but not exactly completely accurate. The overwhelming sentiment seems to be that players did not feel the game was WORTH 15 dollars a month. That is quite different than the insinuation that the commitment to the sub alone was the cause. The game simply did not offer an acceptable value for 15 dollars a month compared to other games on the market.

Quote:
3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.
Again, partially correct IMO. Frequency was a huge factor, but focus of those updates, when they did come was also an issue, as was the emptiness of the game based on choices made early on in development with respect to expected game performance, and the lack of movement on consolidation until it was essentially too late.

Server consolidation alone could have stemmed a need to move to F2P until much later IMO...at the very least it probably would have stemmed the losses substantially.

I find these statements accurate from a very narrow point of view, and smack more of wishful thinking than actual informed intuition. Whether or not they accept what I see as the REAL reasons for losses behind closed doors is unknown. After all, spin has been a tradition since launch, and I feel it is likely this statement is no different.