View Single Post

KeyboardNinja
11.03.2012 , 02:19 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
This function is also incorrect. Again, basic logic disproves it: Given a higher number of trials and a constant probability, the chance of an event occurring at least once increases.
My function reflects this property. See plot: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y+%3D+0.4595^9%28-%28%281+-+0.4595%29^x+-+1%29%29. Yours is logical at face value, but you're dramatically over-counting due to the fact that an event chain p_1...p_10 overlaps with an event chain of p_2...p_11 by 9 events. That's why the probabilities you're churning out are so much higher.

The base case was wrong, as you said. I generally work with zero-based functions, so slip of habit. Correcting this gives the following function:

f(i) = 0.4595^9(-((1 - 0.4595)^i - 1))

f(185) = 0.000913208

Thus, it actually makes no difference within the bounds of rounding error. If I had let it expand, it would have produced a slightly larger value than previously, but only slightly.

Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
I can get an experimental idea of the probability by using a program like:
Code:
for(i=0;i<10000000000;i++){
   for(j=0;j<185;j++){
      if(rand.Next()<prob){
         hits++;
         if(hits>=10){
            count++;
            if(count>maxStreak)
               maxStreak = count; 
         }
      }
      else
         hits = 0;
   }
}
Console.Write("Probability: "(count/i) "\nMax Streak: " maxStreak);
I'll run it next time I've got access to my programming suite.
I'll run this myself tomorrow. 10 trillion is a lot of iterations, but we're talking about very, very small odds. It seems like the margin for error will be fairly high.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017