View Single Post

SuperGrunt
11.01.2012 , 07:26 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by LordPorkins View Post
Just to answer some points some people have made....

This discussion isn't about whether books are better than films as an art medium. They have different strengths and weaknesses. However when one is adapted from the other, the new art form tends to be weaker. In other words, films of books tend to be inferior to books, and vice versa.

In the case of Star Wars, the reason it was so big was because it did something on the cinema screen that no other movie had done at that time. Audiences were wowed and captured by a new cinematic experience.

The books and spin offs comics that followed were not groundbreaking in any way because they were not produced by a visionary or creative genius the way the films were. They were mediocre books that would not appear on a single 'must read' list, unless you were a star wars fan starved of new star wars material.

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.
You sir need to learn that while you are entitled to your own opinion it isn't a fact, nor is it shared by everyone in the world. If you feel that the books where garbage, fine feel that way if you so desire, but don't presume to tell people that those books are making the rest of the EU weaker. While I might agree with some of your points in regards to some of the books, some others where must reads, in my eyes, and there must be some people that felt the same way as quite a few have received Best Seller honors.

Quite frankly, some of the biggest plot holes in either Star Wars came about because of the movies. If you recall in The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda told Obi Wan about Leia, but in Revenge of the Sith Obi Wan was there when she was born, and held her in her arms. There where only 18 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, yet Obi Wan a who couldn't have been much more than 30 in Revenge of the Sith, looks well into his 50, or 60's (Alec Guinness (19142000) he was 63 when A New Hope was released in 1977) in A New Hope, did someone forget to mention to George Lucas that Jedi age slower than normal people, and Sith are the ones who age faster?
Guild leader of {Imperial} <The Betrayed> & {Republic} <xX The Betrayed Xx> on The Harbinger. Recruitment Thread
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo