View Single Post

bright_ephemera
10.29.2012 , 03:53 PM | #130
CHRONICLES PRESENT, 43: In which Nalenne's domestic situation changes again

Time period: During Master Rho's campaign

"Andronikos," said Nalenne, "I'll need you to run sniper cover for the Jedi Teacher's Union party we're crashing next week. Prep the big rifle."

"If I'm going, I'm down in the melee with you guys."

"'If' you're going? This is going to be the best game of the season, of course you'll be there."

"Says who?"

"Says your love of mayhem?"

Andronikos sat up slowly. "You know," he said, "I like you, but you've been getting a lot of ideas."

"Like…how beating up Jedi schoolteachers will be a ton of fun and you should be there?"

"No, like I'm gonna take your orders when I get there." He frowned and stretched. "I may not be around next week. In fact, I may not be around for a while. There's places to be." He hopped out of bed and grabbed the one battered bloodstained leather bag that held his non-weaponry possessions, and took a look at Nalenne. "It's been a lot of fun, don't get me wrong. I'll be seeing you sometime."

She followed him into the hallway. "You can't just go!"

"I believe I can, Nalenne."

"I'm the Wrath! You have to listen to me!"

"No. No, your apprentices and soldiers and slave have to listen to you. You wanna bang somebody who'll take orders, try the guy who already promised to." He stopped short and faced her with a small smile. "Neither one of us likes sleeping with control freaks. So let it go."

Nalenne stood with her mouth hanging slightly open, trying to figure out the logical puzzle of imposing her will on someone in order to preserve a relaxing freedom-loving relationship. The only solution appeared to be that she got to be relaxed and free while he served her every whim, but by the time she had figured out how to phrase that, Andronikos was gone.

Vette delicately cleared her throat.

"Why does nobody ever let me down easy?" demanded Nalenne. "It's always BAM, vanish."

"Probably because they all know you'll kill them if they try to discuss it at any length in person," said Vette.

"That's completely unfounded. I didn't have long discussions before I killed Quinn or Servant Nine or any of the others. Maybe trying to be tactful would make me less likely to execute them for leaving me, ever think of that?"

"I actually don't spend a lot of time thinking about how to break up with you," said Vette. "Apart from the whole 'trying to get out of the slave collar' thing, I guess."

Pierce wandered in from the mess. He carried a large frozen carton. "Ice cream?" he offered.

Nalenne crossed her arms. She wasn't that predictable. Not really. "Rebound?" she counteroffered.

"Not likely, milord," he said.

"Hm. I guess that would be pretty weird," said Nalenne.

"Very," agreed Pierce. "Here. Triple coco loco chunk."

"You're the best."

"I aim to serve." Pierce grinned. "Chain of command works just fine for some of us, at least as loose as you keep it."

Vette sidled closer to him. "Support operations on this are gonna be hell," she whispered.

"We can do it without a replacement toy," he muttered. "Tough job, but we've done it before."

Nalenne fixed Pierce with a suspicious look. "We're still on for killing Jedi educators next week."

"Absolutely," he assured her.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST