I still suggest that we all only use "need" and let the random generator decide for groupfinder teams.
It's as fair as it can be with the current loot system.
I do understand where you're coming from.
But I like to look at it from the other side of the coin. Not from me needing gear, but from the other guy needing gear. Example:
1. I'm a Sage healer in a HM FP along with a Commando dps.
2. We defeat the final boss and a trooper Columi legs token drops.
3. My companion tank (Qyzen) could use the Columi legs upgrade
4. The Commando dps could use the Columi legs upgrade for his main spec.
Now in this example, I believe that it would be unfair for me to get the Columi token instead of him. And this is for two reasons:
1. The Commando dps can take those Columi legs and have a better chance at running HM Ops.
2. Qyzen wasn't in the flashpoint helping so he didn't really contribute anything to the success of the mission.
That's why I think it is fair. I think the other guy should have that gear. It will help him progress to the next level of content.
Now I suppose if I were 2-manning a HM Flashpoint, and Qyzen were there tanking for the group, that might be a different story ...
This is just my opinion, of course, but I tend to think it's a good one