View Single Post

Totaltrash
10.12.2012 , 02:19 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
I'm pretty sure you didn't actually think this through. First: the drama will STILL be there if, say, a Sage does NOT pass on a Jedi Knight gear token when there's a JK in the group. I would be disappointed if it happened to me because as Kitru explained so eloquently, I do expect people to adhere to a social contract. If I do not expect that, any form of social activity (and online gaming is a social activity) becomes impossible, except PvPing in real life.

To not have any loot drama in groups, you would have to eliminate rolling and just have a random generator award the loot. Can you imagine the complaints that would cause? Well you don't have to: there's a reason why Bioware quickly abolished that system for story mode Operations. Nobody liked it.

I'd also say that your suggestion might hold some value (well, if we ignore the aforementioned flaw in its logic) IF the majority of players were actually selfish. However, they aren't, this is simply not true. I played on four different European servers by now and the vast majority of players I ever grouped with adhered to the unspoken loot rules. Yes, I encountered ninjas but they were a tiny minority compared to the players who rolled Need for their own class and spec, Greed or Pass for everything else.

I believe Bioware made a much better change that what you suggested, with items being tradeable within the group members for a limited amount of time. This way the actual "ignorants" can be made to see and rectify the error of their ways while the die-hard douchebags can be weeded out, kicked and ignored if necessary.
Oh yes, I did think this through, thank you very much.

There are 4/8 people in a group and these 4/8 people kill the boss.
That means ALL 4/8 members of the team accomplished the task equally.
Hence, ALL 4/8 members of the team are entitled to roll on the loot.
It is IRRELEVANT if they can use the item or not, they are still entitled to the roll because they all did the work.

If you argue that, I question your sense of fairness and this discussion might as well end right here.

Ideally, loot would be awarded individually to all 4/8 members, taking their classes in consideration.
But we don't have such a system. We only have "need", "greed" and "pass".

The new addition that allows people to trade items actually complements my idea very nicely:
Let's say my sniper wins the roll for a lightsaber and the marauder in my group wants to have it.
Since we now can trade, I can sell the saber to him and we both are rewarded for killing the boss.

I still suggest that we all only use "need" and let the random generator decide for groupfinder teams.
It's as fair as it can be with the current loot system.

Although I come to believe that people rather want to stick to a messy, injust "social contract" (and then complain about the violators) then push for something that is objectively fair and equal.