View Single Post

Temeluchus
10.07.2012 , 05:47 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
Extremely bad and inappropriate example. First of all OSS was formed during the wartime for a sole purpose to support the war and had a very short life. It did not have any real infrastructure. A lot of intelligence came from other organizations and various resistance movements. In many cases all it did was steal the credit for the information. And most importantly OSS did not have any role in internal security. Its dissolution had no affect because after the war it became redundant. As I stated before, a proper example for Imperial Intelligence would be NKVD or SS. While a modern example would be CIA and FBI in one.
Apparently you don't know the history of the OSS very well, it's neither inappropriate nor a bad example at all.

To this day it is still considered to be one of the most effective intelligence agencies to America, many PMCs and private intelligence companies or "think tanks" use their charter and operations model to this day. Spend any time in the US Military SpecOps community or US intelligence community and you'd know the OSS and it's operators are still revered.

The OSS was dissolved because of the friction and mutual dislike between Truman and General Donovan. You can claim any reason you'd like, but the OSS became one of many political casualties in America.

You other points are valid or have some semi validity and your comment about them stealing credit for success(sounds like any other intelligence arm or even Imperial intelligence itself now doesn't it?) so I won't argue with them.

My overall point was a very useful agency that could have evolved and been more relevant and useful than it's successor got taken down by backroom deals and behind the scenes maneuvering, I wasn't concerned with the various minutiae of each agency and how they are alike or differ. I forgot this was the internet and you have to connect the dots instead of assuming people can do it on their own.

Quote:
In comparing Imperial Intelligence to the CIA and FBI is just dumb. Imperial Intelligence can be compared more to the KGB of the former Soviet Union (which used to be known as the NKVD) which has become the FSB and RVS. Also the OSS eventually became what we know as the NSA (National Security Agency) which with the exception of some civilians is an entirely Military Organization. As to the disbanding of Imperial Intelligence whos to say that it isnt remade as a compeletely different Organization or split into multiple organizations its happened before (the remaking of the NKVD into the KGB, thenbeing split into the FSB and RVS)

First of all the OSS is the spiritual predecessor to the CIA, not the NSA. The intelligence branch that reformed out of the ashes of the OSS was the CIG which is the direct predecessor to the CIA.

The NSA deals in SIGNIT,data encryption, wiretapping and the like. The CIA has its hands in SIGNIT as well as HUMINT,paramilitary operations, Pys Ops etc. Imperial intelligence surely had a division like the NSA but Imperial Intelligence's directive wasn't solely this.

I'm not really sure were you were going with the NSA being a military organization as Imperial Intelligence is at the very least a paramilitary organization with heavy ties to the Imperial military if not outright the intelligence command of the Imperial military and operating under it's infrastructure.

What happened to the NKVD and then it's successors is a good example in general, and probably more fitting given the politics of the Sith Empire and USSR.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.