Please go through the following steps, testing the game performance after each. I will outline the steps in order of increasing difficulty/duration to complete.
- Set shadows to low or off.
- Turn nameplate scaling off.
- Delete DiskCacheArena which is by default found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor
- Delete client_settings which is by default found in the settings folder at C:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\local\SWTOR\swtor\
When you get in-game, set your graphics options to your preferences.
- Perform a Clean boot.
- Perform a clean install of latest non-beta video driver.
After 1.4, I could get rid of the stutter by turning the nameplate scaling off. After 1.4.0b, that no longer helped, however the stuttering was relatively minor. So I went through the abovementioned steps, and now the stuttering is 200%-300% worse, combined with small framerate loss, which in result makes the game unplayable.
My graphic card is ATI Radeon HD 5700.