View Single Post

Gritfiend
10.04.2012 , 08:33 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by MilesTheFox View Post
No, this isn't a thread about the doctors left because of us, EA is the devil, yada yada. No, this is just me getting out there where I believe we went wrong.

Here are our most blatant errors regarding this game.

Believing it would compete with World of Warcraft.
Yes, even I'll admit, I fantasized about TOR putting a dent in WoW's subscriber base. But when I came to my senses, it dawned on me that TOR cannot compete with a game that has had 8 years to build a very solid foundation. It's just not gonna happen. Countless MMO's have been claimed to be the 'WoW Killer'. Face it, the only thing that is going to kill WoW is WoW. In between Cataclysm and Pandaria, we saw more than 800,000 subscribers leave of their own accord. When WoW finally dies, it won't have anything to do with the competition.

A stellar RPG DOES NOT equal a stellar MMO.
It's obvious. The Old Republic got the budget it did because of the success of Knights of the Old Republic and because EA wanted a piece of the WoW pie (there's publishers for ya *grumble grumble). One of the most successful Star Wars games of all time, and the first Star Wars RPG. KOTOR is also home to what is widely considered to be the greatest plot twist in all of gaming.
Like it or not, you add in MMO elements, you ARE going to muck up what made the game great in the first place. It's a lesson the industry hasn't quite learned yet, but I hope it does soon, before every beloved franchise is bastardized in MMO form.
I am highly anticipating The Elder Scrolls Online having the EXACT same problems this game has.

We should not be allowed to complain about a lack of content for the entire first year.
I'm just gonna come out and say it. If you were one of the players that hit 50 in the first week, you shouldn't even be allowed to post on the forums, and if you complained about lack of an end game in that time frame, you should be permabanned with no second chances.
This is the first MMO of it's kind - story-heavy, fully-voiced content. That is what the majority of players liked the most in this game; the leveling and the story. Content like that is going to take more time to generate. And I certainly hope that's the kind of content that is consistently generated, because if not, F2P or not, this game will fall even further than it has in terms of sub count.
This game is not about having one character and getting better and better and better gear (that's actually what I detest most about MMO's). No, the Legacy system was built around re-rolling once you hit 50, to experience another story, and the Legacy system gave you options to have a small leg-up with a new character.

Well, there are my quick thoughts. Debate, add to it, flame, it's all good.
What's this WE crap? You have a mouse in your pocket?

How are WE to blame for the game competing with WoW when that is what Bioware/EA said?

I agree with the second point but again that is not OUR problem, the community did not make the game.

As for number 3. Your idea would be fine if the game was not just one linear amusement park ride on rails. SWG did not have end game content but the whole world was open to do what you want. People formed their own communities and did things. That is impossible with this type of game. If you don't keep coming out with content people get bored.