View Single Post

The_Brick
10.02.2012 , 10:26 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by tiennen View Post
Why is going F2P always looks at like "Oh, this game failed hard". It will most likely bring a much larger audience to the game, and bring in more revenue as a F2P game than it would as a sub-based game. Still, this is purely speculation, but it can be seen in the model of DCUO, and many of other F2P games that sport this model. DDO is another good example of a F2P game that is still going strong, not to mention all of the Korean MMO's out there (Eden Eternal, Aika Online, etc.)

Contrary to popular belief, an MMO going F2P doesn't necessarily mean it "failed". EA is probably just realizing that the age of sub-based MMO's is dead.

Once again, this is all my opinion. I guess I need to specifically state whether or not something is an opinion or not, since you can't tell the difference.
I heard WoW is implementing F2P or already has, idk, it's been over three years since I've played WoW or even logged into my battle.net account.

The reason why more and more games are going F2P is because they have reliable data that they can make more money. Now it may not make any sense because it is free to play, but the microtransactions in most F2P's have shown to be more lucrative than subscriptions. This is why there is talk of next gen consoles going the way of microtransactions and games that you never actually purchase or own, but rather download and pay to play and/or F2P w/ microtransactions.