View Single Post

bright_ephemera
09.30.2012 , 09:38 PM | #68
CHRONICLES PAST, 6: In which Nalenne makes a confession re: acquisitions

Crossposted from the Short Fic Weekly Challenge thread.

Time period: Late in Quinn's ghostly existence, post-Servant-Nine

"My lord."

"Quinn."

"2V's primary motivator has blown out, and since I cannot interact with matter myself I fear I will be of no use to anyone until Vette fixes it."

"Huh. Vette is helping you with this? Voluntarily?"

"I informed her that, since I have nothing better to do, I would follow her around talking until 2V was repaired. She has been working most diligently since then."

"Takin' a page out of her own playbook. Vicious but clever."

"I don't even have to follow through at this point. The threat and a thirty-second sample were sufficient."

"So what can I do for you while you're here?"

"I was actually wondering where the Captain Kaas hard-copy archives ended up. You know that one of the few things I can do in my ghostly state is stick my head inside comic books and single out one page at a time. But my usual reading material is no longer in my quarters."

"Really? Ugh. Bet you anything Pierce or somebody moved it to some hiding place the last time they went through hunting for the slave collar remote."

"You usually track your comic books quite closely, but Captain Kaas seems to be an exception." He tilted his head slightly. "In fact, I have never once seen you actually reading it."

"That's because I hate Captain Kaas. He is by far my least favorite Spectacle everything, and I'm including the X-folk in that list."

"Then...why do you possess the full print run?"

She shrugged. "You said a long time ago that you liked him. I thought I would put the temptation on the ship, first to watch and see if you actually do ever take time off of course you didn't and second so you would have something you enjoy if you did suddenly turn weird enough to want to relax."

"I see."

"You never touched 'em, of course."

"No. But after I died and before you assigned 2V-R8 to act as my hands, I was most grateful to have something other than Scarlet Nexu to practice reading."

"Scarlet Nexu might've broadened your horizons a little. But, yeah, Captain Kaas was all for you."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"You might consider notifying me the next time you do something nice for me. So that I notice it perhaps less than two years and one death later."

"Okay," she said, and smiled. "Tell you what, I can go yell at Pierce for hiding the damned comic books."

His eyes lit up. "You will?"

"Yup! Personal favor to you, I'll get good and mad about it."
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST