View Single Post

09.27.2012 , 12:16 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
That's good. PT's were OP in the DPS department. The fact that you could do maybe 30% (maybe more?) dps from ranged during specific mechanics where you couldn't be in melee on the boss isn't fair when people like marauders who don't have 30m range abilities literally had to sit there and do nothing, thus doing 0% damage during those points. I'm all for PT's doing their 1.3 damage if Marauders are the kings of DPS when they can stay connected to the boss the whole fight. Sadly, as you pointed out in your numerous examples, they can't and even if they could, PT's are still beating them. That makes 0 sense.
I agree with you, the other melee classes/specs do get hosed in those circumstances worse and I have a lot of sympathy for that. However, that's where gap closers come in (except for Smugs/Agents - but they still have a decent ability or two that can still be used >10m outside their default shot AFAIK) and arguably harder hitting melee abilities used to work it all out in the end.

But anyway all I'm mainly saying here is two things, agreeing with the OP, the Vanguard Assault class has:
(1) been nerfed in DPS for both PVP and PVE
(2) had their play style changed quite a bit, being more noticeable the more mobile the fight is (especially in PVP)

This is a counter all those who are trying to argue that the change is mostly meaningless in PVE, that we should do the same DPS in 1.4 as we did in 1.3, and that the range nerf doesn't change the way we play, as these statements couldn't be further from the truth.