View Single Post

Glzmo
09.26.2012 , 01:47 PM | #101
I'm having horrible performance in Game Update 1.4 with 2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 3GB SLi. Turning off shadows helps with performance a little, but the performance hit compared to 1.3 is there even with shadows disabled, and if you monitor GPU utilization, you will see that SLI isn't actually working properly (same with CrossfireX, by the way).

The following are some comparisons with Image Quality Preset set to Very High, both with Game Update 1.3 and 1.4:

Example 1: Tython, in front of the Jedi Temple. All three measurements were made in the same location.
1.3 SLI enabled: 90-111 FPS
1.4 SLI enabled: 22-35 FPS + bad microstutter while moving or simply moving the camera
1.4 SLI disabled: 34-50 FPS + bad microstutter while moving or simply moving the camera

Example 2: Alderaan, in the wild. All three measurements were made in the same location.
1.3 SLI enabled: 42-73 FPS
1.4 SLI enabled: 16-31 FPS + bad microstutter while moving or simply moving the camera
1.4 SLI disabled: 28-43 FPS + slight microsuttter while moving or simply moving the camera

Example 3: Jedi Knight Defender, Holocom room, character in front of the Holoterminal, door behind the character, camera looking at the character from behind the Holoterminal. All three measurements were made in the same location.
1.3 SLI enabled: 110-111 FPS
1.4 SLI enabled: 32-45 FPS + bad microstutter while moving or simply moving the camera
1.4 SLI disabled: 60-72 FPS + slight microsuttter while moving or simply moving the camera

The GPUs just aren't being utilized properly in SLi in 1.4. In 1.3, they were constantly utilized between 96%-98% per GPU, in 1.4 it's 30%-40% for each GPU.

I've tested with Nvidia GeForce driver versions 306.23, 304.79, 295.73 and some others, with little difference. Forcing Dragon Age 2 SLi compatibility bits (0x42400005 in Nvidia Inspector) helps a tiny bit (maybe 5-10 FPS in some situations), but performance is still abysmal in 1.4 with SLi enabled compared to it disabled or it enabled in 1.3.

Here are my full system specs:
Spoiler

In closing, this has been reported for Game Update 1.4 on the public test server. I can't comprehend why Game Update 1.4 went live even though Bioware knew about this issue before it was fixed. Bioware's/Electronic Arts' Quality Assurance seems to be non-existant.

By the way, how often do I have to tell Bioware it isn't a good idea to roll back to an old beta build that had some of the features you want to sell as "new"? You should work on the existing code and add things, instead of taking the unoptimized code base from one year ago and adding the stuff you've added since then onto it...Just saying. It looks like you rolled back to old code bases in 1.2 and you did it again in 1.4 (the "new" shadows, bad multi-GPU performance and moods and various bugs that were all in one beta build 1.4 is probably based on and miraculously resurfaced in 1.4 give it away!) - I guess you thought that there were too few of the old beta testers left to notice, huh? Don't be lazy and do things properly next time!

Update: The new Nvidia 306.63 drivers seem to help a little (in combination with the SLI compatibility bits set to 0x42C00005 / DiRT3 in Nvidia Inspector), but performance and GPU utilization with SLI enabled is still bad.