View Single Post

Aurbere
08.25.2012 , 01:02 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MyDarkSunshine View Post
Bet you never guessed that I'd show up here. More surprising perhaps is that I agree with you on most points.

Interesting take... Might I ask though, what has given you this interpretation of events? The Masters, based on what I remember from talking to Bastila, sensed a darkness more dangerous than the Mandalorians, and received bad omens in regards to Jedi involvement in the war. But nothing ever suggested they knew that it was lurking in Unknown Space, that it was a Sith Empire, or that it was ever anything other than Revan falling to the darkside and dragging his followers with him.

Nor does anything I remember suggest Revan went off to fight the Emperor because he refused to admit he was wrong; I was under the impression that he discovered the Empire, and in his arrogance believed himself to be the person in the galaxy most capable of defeating this new threat.

Worth mentioning some (such as G0-T0) believed Revan's intentions were to forge the Republic into something stronger, to counter a greater threat. However this is merely semantics as a) he failed, and b) he waged war with no regard for life, civilian or otherwise.

During this time Revan manages one of his few successes. Delaying the war (without knowing the Emperor's original schedule, it is impossible to say for how long), and pushing the Emperor to the Treaty of Coruscant.

:- He defeated the Mandalorians and delayed the Empire's return; both of which came at great cost.
:- His obsession with defeating the Emperor/Empire led to all of his other goals (such as fortifying the Republic, whether it be under its own rule or the banner of his own Sith Empire) failing.
:- He perceived the true threat but reacted very poorly to it.

His actions may yet have made the difference in the Republic's fight against the Empire, but this is mainly due to the actions of others (which were effected by his presence), and unintentional side effects of his own attempts;

Spoiler

Although of course, these are hardly to his credit.
1.The masters knew something was lurking. While they didn't see the Sith Empire, they knew that something darker was out there. Revan found out and didn't want to hear the masters say I told you so. So he went to defeat this Emperor, and failed.

2. Good intentions do not make up for commiting evil acts. Revan destroyed the lives of countless innocents. Carths family is included. While Revan didn't order the attack on Telos, his actions allowed it to happen.

3. Revan only fought back the Emperor's mental assault with the help of Meetra Surik. I doubt Revan could manipulate the Emperor alone.

Revan reacted to every galaxy threatening situation very poorly. I consider the Mandalore wars to be the most beneficial thing he did for the Republic. The rest only helped the Sith Empire.
Added Chapter 31 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus