View Single Post

ConnorSalak
08.21.2012 , 04:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by l-randle View Post
am a "late to the party" guy? I just leveled a toon to 50 and went armstech, scav, and slicing. I was ok with the fact that slicing 400 missions was not supplying the credits in abundance like it once was, but i need it to get aug kits and augments and since i have a main with biochem 400, i already had multiple means to produce credits when i needed them. When i got to slicing 400, i was shocked at what has/had been happening on said missions.
which brings me to my argument... grade 6 slicing missions need to get their timer reduced or the rewards need to be buffed, specifically on grade 6 sliced tech parts.
See below! You have to compare the effort to do "sliced tech part missions" to mission skills (i.e. investigation or diplomacy)

1. On my biochem toon, bioanalysis grade 6 abundant missions are around ~35mins, even a mission discovery mission on bioanalysis is only an hour. Slicing abundant is around ~50 mins for a "good" lockbox, and well over an hour for bundant sliced tech parts and a mission discovery is around 2hours(!). This is a gathering skill and should be treated like the others. Scavaging is not that long, neither is bioanalysis.
Slicing is in fact special as it is both: a gathering and a mission skill - which other gathering skill yields purple mats?

2. If i want to craft a 49/50 purple implant, i only need 2ea radioactive paste(grade 6 dipolomacy (a mission skill)), and that piece is significantly more powerful than an augment. To craft purple augments, you need 4 advanced neural augmentors. If you want this new form of slicing to resemble a "mission skill" like diplomacy, then at least drop the requirement down to 2ea.
It is indeed strange that augments sell a lot higher than implants but that's a question of supply and demand (in fact I made millions selling augments but had difficulties selling good implants - unfortunately, the prices for augments tanked lately on my server).
Looking at the requirements for crafting implants, you have to compare biochem to cybertech: earpieces as a "small" item cost two mission mats as well.
An augment is considered an _item modification_ albeit an expensive one, thus it needs 4 mats (like the armstech barrel, cybertech mod & armoring and artifice enhancement).

3. The drop rate for slicing mission discovery 340 is way to low. I would not have so much of a problem with 1 or 2 if i actually got the mission more, to get the mats, to make augments. As it is now, i think i might have gotten the mats once or twice using the "regular" abundant tech parts mission, and only when using a purchased mission discovery, do i get some advanced neural augmentors with some regularity. Then, its only two, and it takes over 2hours. Seems like i get more investigation and diplomacy mission drops than i do the actual slicing drops i need.
In another thread we complained about the crit rate of the _regular_ tier 6 slicing missions:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=499390

Actually, after patch 1.3.4. my crit rate is consistently around 20% (30 crits in 147 missions = 20,4%).

That should be sufficient to craft a few augments per day.
In fact, I never use slicing mission discoveries as they are a) rare "drop" as you said, b) they are ridiculously expensive on the GTN

And while you are at it bw please add a better way to get aug slot component material. Either vendor or slicing mission would be great. Thanks...
As a biochem crafter you're lucky as you can always craft "cheap" implants to rev.eng. for augment components and send them to your armstech (always craft green ones, the bonus yield when crafting blue ones or even purple ones is negligible) - Compare the mats needed to armstech (...argh...).

Don't despair, Slicing will work out. Just keep your companions doing missions continuously. And if you want to earn money, simply craft purple mid level augments (the "purple yield" for lower tier missions is much higher) - they are in high demand and competition is much lower. Augment crafting and augments are not just for lvl 50!