Character Transfers - Multiple Characters

Velora

Which should have been in BEFORE the forced mergers. Can you imagine the kerfuffle that will errupt IF they implement extra slots now or opened up multiple destinations AFTER many of us have already deleted characters? No really think about it. :D

Besides due to past performance and how BW defines Soon (™) it really isn't prudent to wait. Plan now for the worste now and don't QQ later.

they are not forced until automove. ill wait until then and then delete the leftovers get the remaining to 50 and then i quit.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bio ware's official postilion on this subject:

Are there any other restrictions with the Character Transfer Service?

"You cannot exceed 8 total characters (including transferred and non-transferred characters) on any given destination server. If no character slots are available, a character will not be transferred. You can choose to delete an existing character to free a character slot, and then repeat the character transfer process"

It says nothing about providing additional Destination Servers for people with more than 8 characters that need transferring.

Edited by GameManX

Bio ware's official postilion on this subject:

Are there any other restrictions with the Character Transfer Service?

"You cannot exceed 8 total characters (including transferred and non-transferred characters) on any given destination server. If no character slots are available, a character will not be transferred. You can choose to delete an existing character to free a character slot, and then repeat the character transfer process"

It says nothing about providing additional Destination Servers for people with more than 8 characters that need transferring.

And that is the problem. Eventually, they may want to shut down the origin servers altogether - and what do we do with the toons stranded there because our destination server is full? It makes precisely ZERO sense not to open up the destination servers. Yes, some people will make a stink, but there are people doing that right now, so the net number of complaints can reasonably be expected to decrease as characters are moved and people lose the reasons to make a fuss.

Having the same problem here, started to level up a new character on the server I was on before the server transfer as the one I've transfered to got 8 characters on it already. Would really love some more character slots as leveling alts is the only fun thing to do except for raids.

Which should have been in BEFORE the forced mergers. Can you imagine the kerfuffle that will errupt IF they implement extra slots now or opened up multiple destinations AFTER many of us have already deleted characters? No really think about it. :D

It would be nothing compared to the outrage that will erupt if they force-delete characters over the 8 character limit. Or maybe not - maybe instead there would be a quite mass unsubscribe.

Besides due to past performance and how BW defines Soon (™) it really isn't prudent to wait. Plan now for the worste now and don't QQ later.

They said prior to transfers opening up that they were working on opening up more character slots.

MOST people did not delete the characters that couldn't switch over. I know I certainly didn't. I switched over the characters that I could, and left the other ones be, for now.

I very much doubt that the data on the origin servers is going to be erased once forced transfers happen. My guess is that once a stage of transfers begin where people can move characters to servers of their choice (paid or unpaid), the excess characters still on an origin server because the character slots on the destination server were full will be eligible for that.

Yes, it would be nice if BioWare told us what they were going to do, but if they did, and that's what they were going to do, people would create dummy characters to fill up slots on their destination server expecting to be able to transfer their real characters after the forced transfer. Then, if the next stage came a month later, people would be flooding the forums with complaints that BioWare wasn't allowing them to play their characters.

I think they should make 16 slots available per server so we could have one of each advanced classes in each faction. Of course there's some work involved like redrawing the Legacy UI, related data persistence and coding but in the end would be the right decision.

And you pointed them out? And EXPLAINED where you disagreed? :rolleyes:

I am trying to help here. Many of us have moved and been thru this "grief" process. Those in this situation should PLAN for the worst case scenario. I am attempting to convey what many of us in the same situation already did and let them know its not that bad.

Believe me altoholics I completely understand. But, you need to plan now and get thru the grieving process. If by chance the best thing happens and they give more slots before shutting down the servers, you still didn't waste your time planning. But , if you don't plan now, you really don't have anything to complain about when it doesn't happen. You were told. So plan.

That doesn't mean Bioware will not change their stance by the time that transfers become mandatory. That may have been their answer at the time but back then transfers were voluntary. Encouraged, but voluntary. Something tells me once they began forcing people to move, either more slots will open up or they'll enable people to pick from multiple servers to move their alts to.

I have zero sympathy for the "boo-hoo I don't want to lose a name" crowd, but this is a legit concern. It's not unexpected in a game that relies so much on alts for content and that technically has 16 classes that people would have more than 8 characters. It's pretty absurd that they would expect people to delete anything over 8 characters because they didn't give you a choice of servers.

In the same boat with 9 chars and 8 slots with all roads leeding to the same server.

Tried making a ticket in game explaining this, and got a generic protocol droid reply that had nothing to do with the topic at hand and gave me no information. I explained thoroughly in the ticket the situation and they tell me: 'Yes, you can transfer this char'.... great CS....

When will you learn Bioware that telling us you don't know something is better than these horrible replies that offer no information, but clearly shows that tickets are not even read by a competent person?

Hi folks,

Just wanted to hop on here to let you all know that at no point will we be deleting your characters later this summer when we automatically move any remaining characters from origin servers onto designated destination servers. More details about how this will work out will be forthcoming, but I can assure you that automatic character deletion is not going to happen for this upcoming move.

Thanks everyone!

Hi folks,

Just wanted to hop on here to let you all know that at no point will we be deleting your characters later this summer when we automatically move any remaining characters from origin servers onto designated destination servers. More details about how this will work out will be forthcoming, but I can assure you that automatic character deletion is not going to happen for this upcoming move.

Thanks everyone!

Yey!! Good news everyone.

Now to get that Char Transfer to the servers we actually want, and maybe some more Char slots on the "SuperServers"...

/Triserpent

So the 3 BH's i have on 3 servers that you say i can transfer from will all be moved to 1 server, WHY do i not get a choice of a couple servers? because as of now all my server transfers(5 Servers) all can only got to 1 new server.

and the answer i recieved from support is.........

"We understand that you wish to transfer your character to a destination server that has not been assigned to your origin server. We regret to say that this option is not a part of the initial Character Transfer Service. Characters on a specific group of origin servers will only be able to transfer to specific individual destination servers at the moment."

Hi folks,

Thanks everyone!

That sounds like good news. It seems to imply that people will get to keep their characters, but not necessarily all on the same server. That's the meaning I should take, yet I catch my mind placing an asterisk* on everything. This is what that quote sounds like to me right now:

Just wanted to hop on here to let you all know that at no point* will we** be deleting your characters later this summer*** when we automatically**** move any remaining characters from origin servers onto designated destination servers. More details about how this will work out will be forthcoming, but I can assure you that automatic character deletion**** is not going to happen for this upcoming move.

*We may reach that point later.

**We reserve the right to make you delete your character. But we won't.

***We may automatically delete your character at a different time of our choosing

****We may interpret the word "automatically" different than you.

Too much? Read last months blog about character transfers and tell me how I should interpret it. Here's a quote from

Server Populations and You Part 1

We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer.
:rak_02:

***We may automatically delete your character at a different time of our choosing

Too much? Read last months blog about character transfers and tell me how I should interpret it. Here's a quote from

Agreed still as clear as mud. :D

Hi folks,

Thanks everyone!

Thank god ( a polite way of putting it ),This reply has taken a long time , you had us all worried. Best sticky this statement at the top of the pile somewhere.

Time to hold a place for some of my characters on some of the 12 servers that will be left.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

So what happens if I have 7 level 10-30 charecters on my origin server, and I only moved 3-4 them, and filled up my new server.

are you going to allow me to have 12 slots? because your saying your not going to delete them, but my slots are full?!?!?!?!

What I want, and I think now that its been open for a while, A LOT of people are holding back on moving off Origin servers so they can pick the destination they want to go too.

I have 3 toons on Tarro blood that I want to move to "Canderous Ordo" but can not. I am not doing anything till I know what Biowares intentions are. and I expect many are like me.

I dont know if you guys at Bioware realize there are people waiting on the fence to see what your going to do before moving toons around. I rather make one step to the server of my choice, then move it and find out I should have waited.

I am stting on 7 toons on Tarro blood, 4 of which I will delete and close off once I know whats going to happen to the first 3

ALSO!!! if your going to let us move them later, I would move them now. I am just not interested in hearing "if your on a destination server, there is no planned system to move you off"

Edited by Menglor

That sounds like good news. It seems to imply that people will get to keep their characters, but not necessarily all on the same server. That's the meaning I should take, yet I catch my mind placing an asterisk* on everything. This is what that quote sounds like to me right now:

I was going to parse this as you did, but the bottoom line is, they didn't really answer the question. They could just transfer whatever characters don't fit on current destination servers to other random servers and their statement is still accurate.

Hi folks,

Thanks everyone!

What happens if we have already reached 8 characters on the designated destination server?

I was going to parse this as you did, but the bottoom line is, they didn't really answer the question. They could just transfer whatever characters don't fit on current destination servers to other random servers and their statement is still accurate.

DAMMIT man, now you just scared the h-ll out of me..... decisions decisions.... :eek:

What happens if we have already reached 8 characters on the designated destination server?

They are not telling, but:

1. At this time your toons won't be deleted.

2. They can't fit on your current destination server, so they will not be transferred.

3. They probably will sit in limbo, until BW decides what it will do with them, or what it will allow you to do with them.

4. You WILL NOT be able to play them after the magic date though.

He meant that after you reach 8 characters on the destination server , then your other characters can transfer to a different designated destination server. Read his reply fully , so after those fill up there will be other server options as they don't seem to be increasing the capacity above 8 character slots. This is why I said time to hold some of my character names on the remaining open "mega servers" as obviously one of those will be were my characters above 8 will be moved.

Obviously if they aren't going to delete our characters then they are going to move them somewhere. Take your pick , I still believe that we wont be able to move from RP/PVE to PVP though , so chose wisely.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Obviously if they aren't going to delete our characters then they are going to move them somewhere. ...

Cheers,

BadOrb.

That is a giant leap of faith there.

Edited by Notannos
inappropriate content- pm