View Single Post

AngelFluttershy
07.10.2012 , 05:52 PM | #18
Better start responding now before Aurojiin hits me with a wall-of-text back!

Quote: Originally Posted by RickAdams
The tank is always taking damage, so having force armor up on the tank on CD is a good idea. Force armor is a very efficient heal. Rejuvenate is also a good idea for the armor buff as well as the heals which leads into healing trance with the increased crits. Now that being said, if you can outheal the damage with a rejuvenate and a healing trance then Force Armor isn't strictly necessary but it does help pause the incoming damage so you can top off the tank.
I definitely see the benefit of keeping Force Armor up at all times. Its buffer allows the healer to keep the tank topped off, as you said. Since it can absorb so much damage I just imagine it as a buffer when I need the extra help which doesn't typically include my normal rotation. Healing Trance with Rejuvenate is enough for me to keep the tank topped off on most occasions and, as the guide said, Force Armor does like to eat up Force even with the cost reduction we get. Don't get me wrong, I still use it very frequently, but keeping the tank with a constant Force-imbalance debuff isn't necessary in my case.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the class buff to crit isn't effected by diminishing returns (or very little). So having a higher than average crit with the added buff is a huge help when healing.
You're right, never said class buffs factor into the DR or that having a higher than average crit is a bad thing. I was just trying to outline my case of having a lower crit isn't a bad thing due to the compensation from the other class buffs and stims you can receive. Now if you're talking about a primary stat for a class, like Willpower, it does receive DR overtime but it is very small, especially in comparison with Crit and Surge, as I stated in my post.

This thread accents gearing towards a heavier crit, as is the author's preference, so I have to be careful when supporting my current lower crit build.

Now, having looked at similiar threads in the gunslinger and trooper forums, it seems that it is almost always beneficial to stack your primary stat over power. Your primary stat benefits from plus 6% willpower from talents and +5% from buffs. Power does not. This negates most of the benefit of the bonus healing from power. Your primary stat also adds to crit which I think is also not subject to diminishing returns the way crit rating is. So unless you're short on a stat, I think your best bet is to stack willower augments.
I have no argument with you here. Power gives more than Willpower off the bat, but after all the additions Willpower can be more advantageous. Despite all the buffs though, Power still gives more Bonus Healing than Willpower (tested this by swapping identical gear with different Power and Willpower levels) but with the Power I obviously lose the benefit of extra crit chance. Plus, after all is said and done, the difference in Bonus Healing between Power and Willpower isn't that large. It just comes down to what you think is best for you, I'll play around with my Augments until I get something I like so I'm not shutting down the idea of stacking Resolve Augments. Now with Smuggler Skill Augments are amazing due to the huge passive increase they get above other classes (9%). But that's a different topic so I won't derail.

Quote: Originally Posted by XtremJedi
There's a question of timing with pre-bubbling.

I reckon that you should always have tank bubbled nicely in advance of his engaging. The benefit to having the shield absorb a load of damage and then be able to refresh it almost immediately, because the immunity had already largely worn off, is considerable.

Bubbling the whole group is more difficult to time well. You may not get all the way through the bubbles and find that your tank has already engaged... or you may find that the group you're playing with doesn't wait long enough to allow you to meditate back to full. It can be a pain trying to educate them about it too... not least because in some situations it will slow down a group, if they have to wait for you to cast the bubbles and meditate.

With a group that you know well and who understand the dynamic though, bubbling all group members and then meditating to regain all the force, has the potential to be advantageous. Bubbling all and meditating makes particular sense for more difficult fights, especially when there's likely to be early AoE damage. Bubbling melee and meditating is more often useful than bubbling all.

But if you have a group that doesn't mind the few seconds extra taken in preparation for a given fight, then there's no downside to bubbling all group/raid members and meditating back to full force.

X
Now that's what I was trying to say with fewer words. My guild has all the Operations down to a farming level so they just want to get through them most of the time. This doesn't leave me with much time to Force Armor every player as we have a tank that tends to pull everything any time he feels like it. As Xtrem said, as long as you get the tanks and melee DPS you should be alright.